The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Trent Cull named Head Coach of the Utica Comets

29 minutes ago, Shirotashi said:

Not to be rude but you haven't yet proven a thing. The names that were mentioned were obvious choices, but who even knows if they were approached. So far (imo) this is just your own personal observation and heresay. Like how do you have ears on all those listed markets? Just doesn't mash. Please I mean no offense either.

Norm Bazin. http://www.lowellsun.com/breakingnews/ci_31064161/bazin-turns-down-pro-offer-will-stay-at

Sekeres reported on Thompson and Knoblauch and Bob Woods I know wasn't reported but he has local family ties in Utica and was offered the job. 

19 hours ago, JamesB said:

Thanks, Sid. NIce post. It is good to know that Cull stood up to the owner at Sudbury and left the job rather than be a yes man. At Utica, Cull is unlikely to have any interactions with the ultimate owner (Acquillini) but it is good to know that he is likely to stand up to Canuck and Comet management if necessary and do what he thinks is best for player development. 

Negrin?

12 hours ago, Crabcakes said:

Negrin?

9 hours ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

:lol: Yeah, could be interesting. Not sure if he's under contract yet but he might very well be in Utica. We'll have to see.

Although in Negrin's defense, he's looked like a capable AHL player the last couple years. But definitely a nepotism factor in those early years.

What's the story with the Negrin nepotism thing? Who is he related to? I must have missed that storyline. 

• -SN- unfeatured this topic
On 29/06/2017 at 8:30 PM, Roger Neilson's Towel said:

Wow. Crazy stuff. Thanks for that. 

Now that's some Grade A nepotism. 

ever browsed through the management and coaching staff section of the site? there's still a crawford on staff, even though marc and eric were both fired. there's a henning. there's a benning. there's even an aquilini as a dressing room attendant. 

https://www.nhl.com/canucks/team/coaches-and-staff

Botchford has a pretty good article today about Cull's "magic touch" for developing defensemen:

http://theprovince.com/sports/hockey/nhl/vancouver-canucks/canucks-hope-culls-magic-touch-with-defenceman-produces-future-stars

The Canucks also hired Trent Cull to take over the Comets and essentially their development program. And grooming defencemen just happens to be his thing.

Cull rejoined the Syracuse Crunch in 2013-14 as an assistant coach overseeing the Tampa Bay Lightning’s gang of young up-and-coming defencemen.

This past season may have been his most successful.

At the draft, Steve Yzerman specifically mentioned how thrilled he was with the growth of Dominik Masin and Ben Thomas, a pair of AHL rookies who excelled. By the playoffs, Thomas was actually a go-to blueliner, and will have opportunities this season to play in the NHL.

Jake Dotchin, a sixth-round 2012 draft pick, just played 35 games with Tampa last year. He was paired with Victor Hedman and looks like he has a legit future in the bigs after spending most of three seasons with Cull in Syracuse.

Syracuse’s Matt Taormina won the Eddie Shore award for the AHL’s best defenceman and former first-rounder Slater Koekkock, another defenceman who was with Cull for three season, is the leading candidate to take Jason Garrison’s spot with Tampa this fall.

That’s some resume.

”I had a couple of young defencemen who had really good years,” Cull said. “Development is different for everybody. I feel good about the way I left those (Tampa defencemen). I feel a bit like that’s my legacy because I’ve been with them for three years and now I’m passing them on.

“I think they’re going to be as ready as they’re going to be in the NHL.”

In addition to those recent successes, it's also worth noting that Cull has also been credited with a having a key role in developing current NHlers like Drew Doughty and Ryan Parent.

Also from the article, here are Cull's takes on Pedan and Subban, two of the guys he'll likely be trying to help take the next step in their development:

“I only know them from being an opposition coach,” Cull said. “(Pedan) to me, is a lot like a guy I coached who is with Tampa now, Luke Witkowski. He’s a big, strong guy who skates well.

”I’ll tell you what, as another team coming in to play against (Pedan), he’s a tough guy to play against. He makes a lot of guys think twice.

“I’m excited to see him.”

Subban just finished his second year in Utica, and while he’s improved the Canucks still don’t believe he’s good enough defensively, though he’s been an offensive leader for the Comets.

“I see him as a guy with such great skill and such great speed,” Cull said. “He moves the puck really well. In my experience, he’s the kind of guy who has to make the right defensive reads at the right time and not get himself into strength battles.

“He’s not a huge guy so he has to his assets, his speed. He has to allow those things to show and be smart in how he defends.”

Subban has some wonderful offensive instincts which you’d think the Canucks could use, considering their blueline has been among the least offensive in hockey for the past two years.

Cull suggested Subban, who has yet to play an NHL game, may have more success staying behind the play more often.

“Instead of leading the rush, maybe he can be part of the rush and distribute and be a dangerous guy coming in late,” Cull said.

“With that shot and his knack for finding holes that can be really effective.

“I look forward to seeing him.”

Archived