The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Trent Cull named Head Coach of the Utica Comets

Here's an older article that offers a pretty good coaching profile for Cull:

A stay at home defenseman, Cull went on to a ten year career in the professional ranks, suiting up for more than 600 games in both the AHL (American Hockey League) and IHL (International Hockey League).

Following his playing days, Cull returned to the OHL as an assistant coach with the Guelph Storm before taking on the same role with the Syracuse Crunch (AHL) for the past four seasons. Former NHLer Dave Barr, now an assistant coach with the Minnesota Wild, was the man in charge in Guelph when he turned to Cull to head up the defense corps, a move he never regretted.

"He (Trent) is a take charge guy, very creative with great ideas and passion for the game", says Barr. "Trent is one of the good, young up-and-coming coaches that is well-versed in the 'new' style of game. he is a proven winner, he is personable, yet no nonsense and he is highly respected by his players and his peers."

Sudbury had little trouble confirming player reaction to the man who played a key role in developing both Ryan Parent and Drew Doughty. Former Wolves' captains Derek Mackenzie and John Kurtz have both suited up for Cull, with each recognizing the well-spoken newcomer as a definite "Players' Coach'.

"Trent cares a lot about the team and also cares about winning" says Mackenzie, who played the past three seasons in Syracuse. "He coaches like he played, hard-nosed and tough. He brings the same intensity to coaching he did as a player and the players really appreciate that." Kurtz played six games with the Crunch after finishing his OHL career and he notes that he man who was as well known for his toughness as anything else seems to have made a seamless transition to what is now required to be successful.

"He knows the new game of hockey", explains Kurtz. "He believes in a fast tempo game with a quick transition from defense to offense. Trent really helped me adjust to the pro style of game and will be a big asset in developing and teaching Wolves players next season."

https://sudburysports.com/?content=articles.php&articleId=2945

He was well liked by players and fans in Sudbury but rumours were that got on the wrong side of ownership and was therefore relieved of duties with a year remaining in his contract. At which point he returned to an assistant gig in the AHL with Syracuse.

Apparently Cull didn't appreciate Wolves owner Mark Burgess allegedly forcing his 16 year old son into the roster, and this created a rift that eventually led to Cull's firing:

Only people who saw Connor Burgess (no goals, one assist in 28 games) play on a regular basis can say for sure whether it was nepotism to put him on the Wolves as a 16-year-old instead of sending him to a lower-tier league.

It is owner Mark Burgess' puck with the Sudbury Wolves, so the power struggle had to end this way, with a good coach in Trent Cull returning from whence he came.

https://ca.sports.yahoo.com/juniorhockey/blog/buzzing_the_net/post/trent-cull-leaves-sudbury-wolves-for-old-post-in-ahl-which-should-tell-you-something?urn=juniorhockey,wp23718

11 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Care to share those reports?   

The names I've heard were Rocky Thompson, Kris Knoblauch, Norm Bazin and Bob Woods.  Thompson was confirmed I believe by Vancouver media.  Bazin used to coach at nearby Hamilton College a D3 school and is currently the coach at D1 U Mass Lowell and was reported by their local media that he turned down an offer to coach Vancouver's AHL team to stay there.  Bob Woods played for the Utica Devils and married a local girl and was confirmed locally that he turned down the job.  I forget the source on Knoblauch but he was mentioned as being offered the job but decided to go to the Flyers as an assistant.

The Comets job search has been kept quiet so I don't know if there were other candidates.  

This strikes me as somewhat an 'out of the blue' hire as this guy really has come in from under the radar so to speak imo.  Willing to give him the benefit of the doubt however with the understanding that he's going to be heavily scrutinized for his overall development of youth.  For the first time in a long, long while the Canucks will have some actual prospects on the farm and how they are developed will determine to a large extent the franchise's success moving forward in their rebuild. 

10 minutes ago, UticaHockey said:

The names I've heard were Rocky Thompson, Kris Knoblauch, Norm Bazin and Bob Woods.  Thompson was confirmed I believe by Vancouver media.  Bazin used to coach at nearby Hamilton College a D3 school and is currently the coach at D1 U Mass Lowell and was reported by their local media that he turned down an offer to coach Vancouver's AHL team to stay there.  Bob Woods played for the Utica Devils and married a local girl and was confirmed locally that he turned down the job.  I forget the source on Knoblauch but he was mentioned as being offered the job but decided to go to the Flyers as an assistant.

The Comets job search has been kept quiet so I don't know if there were other candidates.  

Really glad they didn't hire Thompson or Woods.

1 hour ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Hopefully my later post offers a little more info. ;) 

Thanks, Sid. NIce post. It is good to know that Cull stood up to the owner at Sudbury and left the job rather than be a yes man. At Utica, Cull is unlikely to have any interactions with the ultimate owner (Acquillini) but it is good to know that he is likely to stand up to Canuck and Comet management if necessary and do what he thinks is best for player development. 

36 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Really glad they didn't hire Thompson or Woods.

Curious as to why.  Rocky Thompson just won a Memorial Cup and was highly sought after.  Bob Woods won a Calder Cup as a head coach and ran the #1 power play in the NHL last year as an assistant.  

32 minutes ago, UticaHockey said:

Curious as to why.  Rocky Thompson just won a Memorial Cup and was highly sought after.  Bob Woods won a Calder Cup as a head coach and ran the #1 power play in the NHL last year as an assistant.  

Personal reasons - don't think they would either develop young professionals.

Canucks Press Release:

Trent Cull Named Utica Comets Head Coach

by Canucks Media Relations @canucks / Vancouver Canucks
 June 27th, 2017
cut.jpg

Vancouver, B.C. - Vancouver Canucks General Manager Jim Benning announced today that Trent Cull has been named Head Coach of the Utica Comets. Cull becomes the 2nd Head Coach in Comets history joining Utica from the Syracuse Crunch where he served as Assistant Coach in two stints over eight seasons.

"Trent is a passionate Head Coach with significant AHL experience," said Benning. "He understands the development path of a young player, including the challenges they face, and has been a part of many successful organizations. Trent is a teacher with a positive, energetic work ethic. We're excited to welcome him and his family to our organization."

Cull, 43, was Head Coach of the OHL's Sudbury Wolves for three seasons (2010 to 2013) compiling a 94-88-11-11 record. He served as an Assistant Coach with Syracuse for eight seasons from 2006 to 2010 and again from 2013 to 2017, culminating in an Eastern Conference Championship and berth in the 2017 Calder Cup Final.

"This is an exciting day, as we announce the second coach of the Utica Comets for our fifth anniversary season," Utica Comets President Rob Esche stated. "I was very fortunate to have played with both coaches (Travis & Trent) and I feel that Trent's character and vision will resonate with both his team and Comets fans while strengthening the hockey culture in our area."

The Georgetown, Ontario native played 11 seasons as a defenceman in the AHL and IHL with five teams: St. John's, Houston, Springfield, Wilkes-Barre/Scranton and Syracuse. He totaled 618 games as a pro with a 28-79-107 record and 1,629 penalty minutes.

2 hours ago, JamesB said:

Thanks, Sid. NIce post. It is good to know that Cull stood up to the owner at Sudbury and left the job rather than be a yes man. At Utica, Cull is unlikely to have any interactions with the ultimate owner (Acquillini) but it is good to know that he is likely to stand up to Canuck and Comet management if necessary and do what he thinks is best for player development. 

Yeah, definitely have to respect him for standing up to ownership, especially since he probably knew it would ultimately cost him his job.

Cull's years in Sudbury were one the more sustained periods of (relative) success that franchise has seen, both regular season and playoffs. But it's pretty tough for a coach to ask players to buy-in and earn their way when the owner is giving his own kid minutes ahead of potentially more deserving options.

Incidentally, Connor Burgess "retired" from hockey after three years on daddy's team, finishing his OHL career with a scoring total of 3 assists. 

EDIT: Realize that last bit sounds harsh. Not meaning to slag on Connor Burgess. From what I've heard he was well liked by teammates and a good kid. And he just wanted to play hockey. Got caught in the middle of his father's actions and it seems like most people just felt bad for him being put in the situation. 

6 hours ago, UticaHockey said:

Not to be rude but you haven't yet proven a thing. The names that were mentioned were obvious choices, but who even knows if they were approached. So far (imo) this is just your own personal observation and heresay. Like how do you have ears on all those listed markets? Just doesn't mash. Please I mean no offense either.

Archived