The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Petterson vs Nylander

PRIMO88

2 hours ago, DallasDrake said:

Petterson and Nylander arent similar players. Better comparison would be Petterson - Backström. Backström scored about 0.5ppg in SHL in his draft year. Petterson point per game in allsvenskan + over 1ppg in playoffs. Thats somewhat similar production since allsvenskan isnt that big of drop from SHL. D+1 year in SHL will tell us more when Backström scored almost ppg.

And my point is that Backström is twice the player that Nylander will ever be.

Backstroms game is definitely better on the defensive side but I think the skill is quite close between him and nylander. Closer than your making it out to be anyways. You want to talk about the D+1 in the shl both backstrom and nylander were ppg. In their first full nvm seasons backstrom put up 69 pts while nylander put up 61.

13 hours ago, canuckswincup8 said:

pettersson

but what could have been if benning just drafted nylander instead of virtanen

dahlen - pettersson - nylander

and dahlin next year

the swedish elite team

Dahlen 2018.... I am hoping we at least hold our lotto position next year and draft him.  He is going to be a beast on the back end.  a 1-2 punch of Horvat and Petterson up fron and OJ and Dahlin on the back end.  Add  Demko to that and you have yourself a new core to build around.

I think it is unfair to even try to compare the two.  Nylander has years of extra development (which is what we can visually see), and isn't quite the same kind of player.  Nylander (strangely) has over 20 points on Pettersson at this point.  As mentioned by someone else, wait 5 years before we can make any realistic comparisons.

I believe in Pettersson.  I was also not too impressed with the pick when it first happened, but after watching highlights and researching Pettersson, I believe he has one of the highest ceilings in the draft.  Yes, we will have to wait a couple of years so he can fill out before we can see him on our team but I am actually quite confident he will be an excellent player for us and in the end I'm pretty happy with the pick.

Nylander is getting criminally underrated in this thread. He was ranked #2 at points in his draft year, its not like he came out of nowhere. In his draft+1 he was breaking scoring records for a teenager in the SHL, scoring 20 pts in 21 games. It's highly unlikely Petterson does that. He just isn't as skilled as Nylander.

People won't want to hear it, and I love Petterson but Nylander is a better prospect in almost every regard apart from 2 way play which is easily taught at the NHL level. Skating, IQ, Shot, Playmaking, there is a reason why Nylander produced at such an elite clip in his draft +1. 

61 pts in his rookie season and World Championship MVP are also major honors. I would say hold the hype on comparing a newly drafted prospect to a budding superstar. If Petterson turns out to be 90% of what Nylander has shown so far that will be a home run.

17 hours ago, canuckswincup8 said:

pettersson

but what could have been if benning just drafted nylander instead of virtanen

dahlen - pettersson - nylander

and dahlin next year

the swedish elite team

I think Dahlin is Russian.. great bargaining chip to bring back Tryamkin if we get him

1 hour ago, GoBoGo53 said:

Nylander is getting criminally underrated in this thread. He was ranked #2 at points in his draft year, its not like he came out of nowhere. In his draft+1 he was breaking scoring records for a teenager in the SHL, scoring 20 pts in 21 games. It's highly unlikely Petterson does that. He just isn't as skilled as Nylander.

People won't want to hear it, and I love Petterson but Nylander is a better prospect in almost every regard apart from 2 way play which is easily taught at the NHL level. Skating, IQ, Shot, Playmaking, there is a reason why Nylander produced at such an elite clip in his draft +1. 

61 pts in his rookie season and World Championship MVP are also major honors. I would say hold the hype on comparing a newly drafted prospect to a budding superstar. If Petterson turns out to be 90% of what Nylander has shown so far that will be a home run.

shhh...You're not allowed to give any credit to Nylander....positive talk about Nylander is strictly prohibited since it opens up the possibility that perhaps canucks made the wrong choice in 2014.....

1 hour ago, GoBoGo53 said:

You're not wrong, but that won't stop some people from inevitably calling you a closet Leafs fan!

27 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

shhh...You're not allowed to give any credit to Nylander....positive talk about Nylander is strictly prohibited since it opens up the possibility that perhaps canucks made the wrong choice in 2014.....

I am sure that the majority of people here know that the Canucks made the wrong pick in 2014. I think it's actually safe to say that Nylander, Ehlers and even Nick Ritchie would have been the better choice at #6. 

18 minutes ago, pluralsight said:

I am sure that the majority of people here know that the Canucks made the wrong pick in 2014. I think it's actually safe to say that Nylander, Ehlers and even Nick Ritchie would have been the better choice at #6. 

Nylander will never be on a Cup winning team.  The Leafs, if they want to win a Cup, will need to trade Flamingo boy for someone like Virtanen - a hard nosed player.  IMHAO, of course.

3 hours ago, GoBoGo53 said:

Aside from skating, I'd say every one of those is debatable if we're talking about Nylander in his draft year.

Also, I certainly wouldn't say that two-way play is that "easily taught" at the NHL level. Some players go their whole careers being useless in their own end.

1 hour ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

yes and I preface this again by saying its nothing against Petterson because even if you look through my post history he is the guy who I wanted but Nylander is just really good (for those who like watching young talent as a whole in the NHL like myself not just the Canucks). 

He has elite speed, puck control, elite shot, IQ, etc. He really showed it for team Sweden at the WHC a couple months ago when he was MVP.

Let's hope Petterson gets to that stage but it will be a tough task and I hate it when people assume Petterson will be better for whatever reason because it sets everyone up for disappointment to compare solid prospects to young nhl stars.

10 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

Aside from skating, I'd say every one of those is debatable if we're talking about Nylander in his draft year.

Also, I certainly wouldn't say that two-way play is that "easily taught" at the NHL level. Some players go their whole careers being useless in their own end.

It's not really fair because Nylander played against SHL competition while Petterson played in Allsvenskan, primarily because Nylander was that talented in his draft -1.

If you go back to even their draft-1 and compare:

2012/2013

Nylander:

Södertälje SK J20 (SuperElit) 43 pts in 27 games

Södertälje SK (Allsvenskan) 6pts in 8 games

Petterson

Timrå IK J20 (SuperElit) 14 pts in 22 games

Timrå IK (Allsvenskan) 9pts in 25 games

There's a reason Nylander could play with men in the SHL and Petterson couldn't. Nylander's IQ, playmaking and shot were a big reason why, or else he would have been loaned to the SHL instead of playing in Allsvenskan. 

31 minutes ago, GoBoGo53 said:

It's not really fair because Nylander played against SHL competition while Petterson played in Allsvenskan, primarily because Nylander was that talented in his draft -1.

If you go back to even their draft-1 and compare:

2012/2013

Nylander:

Södertälje SK J20 (SuperElit) 43 pts in 27 games

Södertälje SK (Allsvenskan) 6pts in 8 games

Petterson

Timrå IK J20 (SuperElit) 14 pts in 22 games

Timrå IK (Allsvenskan) 9pts in 25 games

There's a reason Nylander could play with men in the SHL and Petterson couldn't. Nylander's IQ, playmaking and shot were a big reason why, or else he would have been loaned to the SHL instead of playing in Allsvenskan. 

But if we look at their draft years in Allsvenskan only...

Nylander:

Sodertalje SK/Rogle BK(Allsvenskan) - 27 points in 35 games

Pettersson:

Timra IK (Allsvenskan)-  41 points in 43 games

When we're discussing 17/18 year old kids, it's important to note that development curves can alter significantly. Nylander seemed to have figured it out at an earlier age, while Pettersson's stock rose significantly this last season. 

Also, it's important to keep in mind that Nylander was listed as 5'11'' and 181 pounds in his draft year, whereas Pettersson is listed at 6'2'' and 165 pounds. Considering their weights, it's not surprising that Nylander was given the chance to make the jump to the SHL while Pettersson wasn't. 

I sincerely doubt it came down to Pettersson "not being skilled enough".

If anything, Pettersson should be able to improve even further as he continues to gain muscle.

However, at the end of the day, they're 2 entirely different players with 2 entirely different skill sets. I don't think anything can be assumed at this point. Honestly, comparing the two hits me as a pretty useless endeavor, considering how vastly different their development curves seem to be.

I just don't think it's fair to undermine the fantastic season that Pettersson was able to have last year, especially considering how underweight he was.

Nobody is denying that Nylander is a great player, nor that he was certainly a safer bet coming out of his draft class than Pettersson is.

However, at this juncture, and taking Pettersson's abilities, weight, and development curve all into consideration, there is no way that I'll concede that Nylander has the higher ceiling. It's impossible to tell at this point, and I think that choosing either/or would be a disservice to both players.

On 2017-06-28 at 3:09 PM, Kaner said:

Nylander's skating > Pettersson's skating 

ainec

So is Toller Cranston's.  We a discussing the better of the two.  Of course the Canucks player is better; it's a Canuck's board, isn't it?  

Archived