The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Petterson vs Nylander

PRIMO88

9 hours ago, TheYjUstMaKeYoUwooZy said:

Dahlen 2018.... I am hoping we at least hold our lotto position next year and draft him.  He is going to be a beast on the back end.  a 1-2 punch of Horvat and Petterson up fron and OJ and Dahlin on the back end.  Add  Demko to that and you have yourself a new core to build around.

Don't forget Gaudette, that's a 1-2-3 punch.

Oh and Hutton, Stecher, Gudbranson, and maybe even Tryamkin

5 hours ago, GoBoGo53 said:

He just isn't as skilled as Nylander.

Nylander is a better prospect in almost every regard apart from 2 way play which is easily taught at the NHL level. 

Your first point above - how do you arrive at this conclusion?   Unless you have some test scores what on earth are you basing this on?

Second point above  - sorry but you are so wrong.   That is the hardest thing to teach at NHL level and is why players like Daigle, Yakupov and hundreds of other highly skilled players never had NHL careers.   

6 hours ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

shhh...You're not allowed to give any credit to Nylander....positive talk about Nylander is strictly prohibited since it opens up the possibility that perhaps canucks made the wrong choice in 2014.....

The sad thing is that a certain number of people are so dead set against the Petterson pick, that we will be reading about  Petterson vs. whoever for at least 3 years as well. These kids have put on a Vancouver sweater. Give them your support.

17 hours ago, GoBoGo53 said:

Nylander is getting criminally underrated in this thread. He was ranked #2 at points in his draft year, its not like he came out of nowhere. In his draft+1 he was breaking scoring records for a teenager in the SHL, scoring 20 pts in 21 games. It's highly unlikely Petterson does that. He just isn't as skilled as Nylander.

People won't want to hear it, and I love Petterson but Nylander is a better prospect in almost every regard apart from 2 way play which is easily taught at the NHL level. Skating, IQ, Shot, Playmaking, there is a reason why Nylander produced at such an elite clip in his draft +1. 

61 pts in his rookie season and World Championship MVP are also major honors. I would say hold the hype on comparing a newly drafted prospect to a budding superstar. If Petterson turns out to be 90% of what Nylander has shown so far that will be a home run.

So far there is no way to say that Nylander is a better player at the time he was drafted in than Pettersson at he time he was drafted. 

They play a different style. Pettersson has atwo way game, which isn't easy to learn and was and still is Nylanders biggest knock. It is what makes a good playoff player. 

Next season will show whether Pettersson is close to Nylander as he will be in the SHL. The only difference is that Pettersson is going to a top team, so he may not be given the same deployment.  

I like that Pettersson is more of a center vs winger and will likely play at center if he makes the show. 

• 5 months later...
On ‎2017‎-‎06‎-‎28 at 3:27 PM, Jimmy McGill said:

its all in the Pettersson thread, but his numbers so far are better than Nylander at the same age. He's looking like he could be a taller, maybe a little heavier version of Nylander. But its years away from knowing. 

Who cares if it is in the Pettersson thread its a valid thread on its own.

I think its unfair to compare Petterson to any other player. He is going to be a generational player that the Canucks stole in the draft. Teams will play with a game plan to stop Petterson and Boeser. Just like Pavel he was stole in the draft. The Hockey god's sometimes even things out from the front office games.

On 6/29/2017 at 11:00 AM, GoBoGo53 said:

Nylander is getting criminally underrated in this thread. He was ranked #2 at points in his draft year, its not like he came out of nowhere. In his draft+1 he was breaking scoring records for a teenager in the SHL, scoring 20 pts in 21 games. It's highly unlikely Petterson does that. He just isn't as skilled as Nylander.

People won't want to hear it, and I love Petterson but Nylander is a better prospect in almost every regard apart from 2 way play which is easily taught at the NHL level. Skating, IQ, Shot, Playmaking, there is a reason why Nylander produced at such an elite clip in his draft +1. 

61 pts in his rookie season and World Championship MVP are also major honors. I would say hold the hype on comparing a newly drafted prospect to a budding superstar. If Petterson turns out to be 90% of what Nylander has shown so far that will be a home run.

This has aged well ^_^

On 29/06/2017 at 11:00 AM, GoBoGo53 said:

figured this would be a funny thing to quote now :P

On 2017-06-29 at 8:53 PM, Rob_Zepp said:

Your first point above - how do you arrive at this conclusion?   Unless you have some test scores what on earth are you basing this on?

Second point above  - sorry but you are so wrong.   That is the hardest thing to teach at NHL level and is why players like Daigle, Yakupov and hundreds of other highly skilled players never had NHL careers.   

I think he is just throwing statements against the wall to see what sticks.  

Either that or he is the greatest satirist on the CDC.  

On 2017-12-21 at 7:16 PM, cory40 said:

I think its unfair to compare Petterson to any other player. He is going to be a generational player that the Canucks stole in the draft. Teams will play with a game plan to stop Petterson and Boeser. Just like Pavel he was stole in the draft. The Hockey god's sometimes even things out from the front office games.

I’m also pretty stoked for Petterson, he’s had a very good draft+1 year. It’s way too early call him a generational player though. 

On 6/29/2017 at 11:00 AM, GoBoGo53 said:

@GoBoGo53, have to admit you were 100% bang on.  It was indeed highly unlikely for Petterson to match Nylanders Draft +1 numbers in the SHL - he simply obliterated them instead.....which is more impressive given he "just isn't as skilled as Nylander" after all.

3 hours ago, guntrix said:

I’m also pretty stoked for Petterson, he’s had a very good draft+1 year. It’s way too early call him a generational player though. 

Well many players get called generational players. And maybe that term flatters players. Its not like the Gretzky era where he lead by 80 points. Many of these players win a point race by 5 to 10 points. Maybe Lemiex was the last true generational player. But petterson will be in good company.

5 hours ago, cory40 said:

Well many players get called generational players. And maybe that term flatters players. Its not like the Gretzky era where he lead by 80 points. Many of these players win a point race by 5 to 10 points. Maybe Lemiex was the last true generational player. But petterson will be in good company.

To me there is average of about one generational talent per every 10 year. Likes of Orr, Gretzky, Lemieux, Crosby are all examples of generational talent. For this generation the only player that gets the title generational player should be Connor McDavid. Other than him, guys like Matthews, Laine, Eichel etc. and potentially Pettersson are examples of franchise players. Franchise players are rare too as these are players that teams can expect them to be very dominant in the league and be the cornerstone of the team for a decade. The Sedins in their prime are both examples of franchise players rather than generational player. It is not an insult to these players to be not consider a generational talent as to me a generational talent has to be the absolute best player for his generation by a margin. I am happy we may have 2 franchise level forwards Pettersson and Boeser. Hope we give them time to develop into the best players they can be. 

On 6/29/2017 at 8:00 PM, GoBoGo53 said:

I gave you a minus and then changed it to a hydration noticing that it was written up right after the draft. I'm sure your mind has changed by now? 

I think your opinion was very fair at the time; I guess none of us really knew what we had in Pettersson right after the draft. I was also a bit surprised with the pick but became quite happy with the pick after I found out that EP possesses an elite level skill; a perfect player to take over from Henrik. Turns out the kid can shoot well as well, so it's like we have pre-Keith elbow Daniel and Henirk + a one timer in one package in EP.

Of course, it remains to be seen if Pettersson will score 60+ pts in his rookie season (but keep in mind that Nylander got his feet wet by playing 22 games the season before his rookie season). I think EP can and will get close to 60 pts.

14 hours ago, cdgraham said:

figured this would be a funny thing to quote now :P

Yeah but give the dude a break. It was written up a year ago and his statements served to level the expectation on Pettersson.

I'm just glad EP obliterated the ceiling that was placed on him. Like Boeser is doing now and Bo did for the last couple of seasons.

One added bonus about EP's emergence is that it takes some pressure off of Virtanen regarding the development time (from the fans, media, and the management).

With EP being a skilled player of the similar (superior) type as Nylander, it sort of justifies for picking Virtanen. Virtanen's weaknesses were known at the time, but a player with elite speed, size, and shooting of his caliber are usually only available through the draft and they are not available in every draft. 

If JB considered Nylander's skill as something that he can add to the team in the future draft whereas he thought a player with skillset brought on by JV as not being available every draft, then it justifies for picking JV. And in fact, it turns out that Nylander is a very skilled player but not a franchise player caliber, more like one of those that can be found in basically every draft. In comparison, EP looks like he has the skillset found in a franchise player, which justifies passing up on size offered by Gabriel Vilardi or a potential of a complete player, offered by Cody Glass.

Once we admit that a skill player like Nylander is available almost every draft, but power forward is not, it makes it easier to tolerate JV's current performance, which I have to admit it is below expectation. But with the emergence of EP, and JV showing signs of consistency this season, I think we might look back at 2014 draft and say that we did quite well in adding what is required of a contending team.

Archived