The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Hurricanes trade Eddie Lack, Ryan Murphy, 2019 7th-round pick to Flames for Keegan Kanzig, 2019 6th-round pick

Seems like a good trade for Flames..Lack as a steady backup with Carolina retaining half his salary and only a 1 year risk. 

Murphy and Kanzig are pretty much bust status right now and will likely play in the minors. 

Going by the names alone I would've thought the Flames had a steal of a deal (and maybe they still do as they do end up with the NHL players), but Ron Francis is a savvy GM and given the context I think the Canes have the potential to win this trade due to addition by subtraction.

First, they shed Eddie Lack.  With Scott Darling signed to become the #1 and Cam Ward on the books for only slightly more it doesn't make sense to carry 3 pricey goalies, and seeing how the Flames have been in the market for a backup Eddie going there could be a solution.  Ward can also settle comfortably into the backup role.

Next, they also give up Ryan Murphy, who struggled last season (2 points, -11 in 27 games), and seeing how they already acquired T.v.R. from the Knights and have several emerging young D to sign after this season (Slavin, Hanifin, Pesce, T.v.R., Dahlbeck are all R.F.A.'s in the same year) it didn't make sense to take cap space and playing time away from them.  To give up a guy who's likely now a project in Murphy, albeit a guy with draft pedigree, to shed Eddie's cap (and give Haydn Fleury a chance to make the team) should be seen as a win for Ronnie too, and Treliving better hope his two acquisitions don't flame out as they're arguably overpaid.

7 hours ago, 10pavelbure96 said:

Hamonic Murphy and lack is not loading up, it's just changing things up. 

Flames will still be a mediocre bubble team. They turned things around pretty quick and havent had  much success. They weren't at the bottom forever like Edmonton or Chicago or Pittsburgh before they started turning it around.

I think that we are in better shape than the flames to be honest. Not now but for the future. JB and co have really turned around our prospect cupboard.

please enlighten me how we are in better shape than the flames? at the very least they have 1 top line elite skill in Gaudreau and a decent top line center in monahan.. and we have 0 proven elite skill player.. we have a very good player in Horvat and a few other good players that's about it.. so does the flames.. we can talk about potential all day.. and at the end of the day it means nothing until they make it to the big dance.. look at how many top prospect in the league oozing with potential doesn't even make the league at the end of the day?

5 hours ago, JoesRooster said:

I dont understand the allegations of calgary being a dump, lived here for about 11 years now since moving up from BC. It's actually quite similar to BC..

It's smug liberals that don't like Albertan's in general........

I dont understand the allegations of calgary being a dump, lived here for about 11 years now since moving up from BC. It's actually quite similar to BC..

Yeah love the Ocean, mountain and abundance of lakes in Calgary. Wait.......

Ive lived there too, it's a dump. Never ever see wild animals there; birds, dear, whatever, it's very blah.

I thought it was a pretty nice looking place when I drove through a few years ago. And people from Vancouver who throw shade on other cities need to realize that Vancouver can be a real dump too.

1 minute ago, sampy said:

Ive lived there too, it's a dump. Never ever see wild animals there; birds, dear, whatever, it's very blah.

There are no birds in Calgary? Hyperbole, thou art thy name.

3 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

I thought it was a pretty nice looking place when I drove through a few years ago. And people from Vancouver who throw shade on other cities need to realize that Vancouver can be a real dump too.

i guess its the endless drone about how much more important AB is to the country and AB mayors giving their homeless 1-way bus tickets to Vancouver that turns some people off. And most of its just harmless goofing. 

Just now, S'all Good Man said:

i guess its the endless drone about how much more important AB is to the country and AB mayors giving their homeless 1-way bus tickets to Vancouver that turns some people off. And most of its just harmless goofing. 

Oh yeah. Totally agree. The Albertans who dump on the rest of Canada are a bunch of assclowns. Those mayors should be forced to lick a square metre of alleyway in the Downtown Eastside.

7 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Oh yeah. Totally agree. The Albertans who dump on the rest of Canada are a bunch of assclowns. Those mayors should be forced to lick a square metre of alleyway in the Downtown Eastside.

I've either worked or gone on holidays in every province except Newfoundland and Canada is pretty amazing across the board. Its only when our stupid politics get in the way the really nasty stuff happens. Calgary is a nice city, I just enjoy sticking it to guys like @ryanstrome :lol:

What worries me now tho is with the Green-DP getting in we're in for another 2 years of pipeline politics and whatever side of the debate you're on someones going to end up very bitter. 

23 minutes ago, sampy said:

Lol, the two animals you mention are pretty common there. Wild life is there for sure..what they lack is the mountains and ocean. It's very flat and you definitely notice it when coming from Vancouver to visit. 

Overall though it's not a bad city, locals seem much more friendly in my experience. 

31 minutes ago, sampy said:

Banff is literally our backyard dude. Wild life is in great abundance out here. Lakes are everywhere, matter of fact I've got a huge one right behind my house. Point being Calgary is a nice city and even though I identify myself as a British Columbian, I don't think I'd ever be able to move back..

5 minutes ago, JoesRooster said:

Banff is literally our backyard dude. Wild life is in great abundance out here. Lakes are everywhere, matter of fact I've got a huge one right behind my house. Point being Calgary is a nice city and even though I identify myself as a British Columbian, I don't think I'd ever be able to move back..

Lol sounds like some of there people were blind or have never been to Calgary. Haha no birds or animals or mountains.

Archived