The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Leon Draisaitl may be traded this summer

Draisaitl is the Malkin to their Crosby (McDavid). If they lose him, they're much easier to defend and probably won't win a Cup with just McDavid and RNH down the middle. That one-two punch is as good as it gets and the Penguins just showed that if you've got two generational centers, you can beat anyone despite rookie wingers and going up against star defencemen.

If I was Chiarelli I'd do everything in my power to keep Draisaitl and McDavid on the same team. Nugent-Hopkins is the one who should be traded.

Alternatively if they flip Draisaitl for Duchene, at least they get a center back, but he's nowhere near what Draisaitl is and might become. This could be the big blunder that prevents a dynasty in Edmonton.

Conversely, they could get a star defenceman. Draisaitl for Ekblad?

Duchene + Barrie for Draisaitl?

Hertl + Vlasic + 1st for Draisaitl?

He's a big strong, young first line center and playoff performer. His value is sky high. I doubt we see a trade, but if we do it'll be massive with at least a center + defenceman + 1st/prospect going the other way.

51 minutes ago, Beary Sweet said:

I doubt Edmonton will have the cap to re-sign Drais since they have to make a legit offer for McJesus. He's probably playing around $12-14 million AAV alone. Read an article a while ago that this is a good time to offer sheet for a player like Draisaitl. Coilers won't have the cap to match if they offer say $8 million per. Even I'd want the Canucks to throw one. We have the cap to afford any cap hit but gotta re-sign couple players first

We might have the cap space,  but nowhere near the organizational depth to sustain the compensation required of that type of offer sheet - it would be franchise suicide to risk that imo. 

55 minutes ago, R3aL said:

Wow this would be shocking.... he is a driving force for them. He was awesome in the playoffs too.

Indeed.

His performance in the playoffs was far better than Mc. David's performance. He's a heck of a player. The team that is going to get him can be very happy.

47 minutes ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Draisaitl is the Malkin to their Crosby (McDavid). If they lose him, they're much easier to defend and probably won't win a Cup with just McDavid and RNH down the middle. That one-two punch is as good as it gets and the Penguins just showed that if you've got two generational centers, you can beat anyone despite rookie wingers and going up against star defencemen.

If I was Chiarelli I'd do everything in my power to keep Draisaitl and McDavid on the same team. Nugent-Hopkins is the one who should be traded.

Alternatively if they flip Draisaitl for Duchene, at least they get a center back, but he's nowhere near what Draisaitl is and might become. This could be the big blunder that prevents a dynasty in Edmonton.

Conversely, they could get a star defenceman. Draisaitl for Ekblad?

No. Draisaitl for Tanev and Van's 1st round pick 2018. Jim: Let's go, get him. He's German, that stands for attitude.

41 minutes ago, Xbox said:

Sorry to burst your bubble but Peter Chiarelli came out and said they aren't trading him at all. RNH is the one they should move.

Bergevin emphatically stated PK wasn't being shopped.

9 minutes ago, Wolfgang Durst said:

No. Draisaitl for Tanev and Van's 1st round pick 2018. Jim: Let's go, get him. He's German, that stands for attitude.

Nothing against Draisaitl, obviously, but I'd rather keep our 1st rounder next year than give EDM what could be yet another high pick.

I don't think this is happening. There was someone who sent out a tweet that wasn't worded very well that could be interpreted as a Duchene for Draisaitl trade. What he really meant was he had an article about Draisaitl re-signing and a seperate article about a Duchene trade. I think that's where these rumours are coming from. 

1 hour ago, Where's Wellwood said:

If Draisaitl wants 10 Milion on his next contract then he's booked his ticket out of Edmonton.

I think McDavid wants too much, and they have to pay him. They can't fit Draisaitl in their plans anymore.

I would love for us to pick him up.

17 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

No thanks our 1st next year is dahlin

I'm willing to bet we wouldn't be drafting in the top 10 next year, if we acquire Draisaitl.

To Edmonton: Tanev, Bärtschi, our 1st

To Vancouver: Draisaitl, a second and a third.

Draisaitl - Horvat - Boeser would be a killer line, and once Henrik retires, we'll have a good one-two punch down the middle.

I think the main agreed is that Draisaitl will be resigned by the Oil and they will be a cup contender in short order and all else is fake news.

And no, you could offer the entire canucks franchise for him (retaining all salary) and Edmonton still hangs up the phone.

Archived