The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Leon Draisaitl may be traded this summer

10 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Draisaitl is the real deal.  Many considered him as a candidate to be the best in his draft class and they probably won't be wrong.  Not sure how much his stars are inflated playing with McDavid and when he's not, going against the weaker opposition.  To me he's a true star already though, he showed that in the playoffs.  Love to have him but realistically you can bet it will be Horvat and one of Boesser, Juolevi or Demko plus a draft pick to get him.

If a bunch of smaller pieces than Draisatl could even acquire him. It may take something of similar value to Draisatl, a single piece of similar value (of which we unfortunately don't have at this time). This is of course unless if other factors comes into play (ie. him wanting to leave or they forgot how to manage their roster against the cap, etc).

47 minutes ago, The Lock said:

If a bunch of smaller pieces than Draisatl could even acquire him. It may take something of similar value to Draisatl, a single piece of similar value (of which we unfortunately don't have at this time). This is of course unless if other factors comes into play (ie. him wanting to leave or they forgot how to manage their roster against the cap, etc).

The cap will definitely be a factor of EDM decides they can't afford him.  They probably will trade for someone like Duchene.  He's better than last year, and showed at the world's he can step up with elite talent.  McDavd/Duchene would still be a pretty fearsome duo.

10 minutes ago, BO_Scorvat said:

As much as it pains me to say it, would you guys consider Bo and Tanev for draisaitl? Do you guys think that's even fair value? 

What about juolevi for draisaitl straight up?

I think this is along the lines of what they would want. 

Just now, IBatch said:

The cap will definitely be a factor of EDM decides they can't afford him.  They probably will trade for someone like Duchene.  He's better than last year, and showed at the world's he can step up with elite talent.  McDavd/Duchene would still be a pretty fearsome duo.

Problem with Duchene is Draisatl scored almost double the points Duchene did. Not to just base things on points mind you as Colorado's season left more than a little to be desired. That being said, I didn't really watch Colorado so much last season so I can't form a solid opinion.other than what I can look up, that point difference though.... lol

Horvat translates in to a future 2nd line C and captain of this franchise

Tanev represents a solid prospect and 1st round pick.  The return should be comparable to Hamonic

For our team and our needs, I'd rather hold on to Bo and then trade Tanev at this years TDL and ensure maximum return instead of selling the farm for a guy who might or might not be moderately better than Horvat over the course of their careers

11 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Horvat translates in to a future 2nd line C and captain of this franchise

Tanev represents a solid prospect and 1st round pick.  The return should be comparable to Hamonic

For our team and our needs, I'd rather hold on to Bo and then trade Tanev at this years TDL and ensure maximum return instead of selling the farm for a guy who might or might not be moderately better than Horvat over the course of their careers

While I agree with you for the most part, the only thing I can say is Drai's already arguably putting up 1st line center numbers. Don't underestimate.

Other than that, I agree with everything else you've said.

It'll be interesting to see how Draisaitl would perform without being behind McDavid who takes on top defenders every night. In McDavid's first season, he was putting up over a ppg before getting hurt and Draisaitl only got 3 more points in almost 30 more games. Drai put up bigger numbers last year, but McDavid also had a big year. 35% of Drai's points were on the PP which I believe he played with McDavid for the most part.

The point I'm getting at is that as exciting of a player Draisaitl may be, it'll be interesting to see if he would be worth a contract over 8 million plus to be the marquee forward plus to give up Bo and Tanev or Juolevi as some are suggesting. Bo alone could be signed at a reasonable cap hit and potentially produce similar amount of offense to Draisaitl playing behind McDavid and be a workhorse defensively.

3 hours ago, MoneypuckOverlord said:

take this for what its worth.

42 of his 77 points came with McDavid,

One can also say 42 of his 100 points came with Draisatl.  

I think this is a very good point. Considering McD has produced with anyone he's ever played with, I would say Draisaitl benefitted more in this relationship. 

Take him off McDavid's line and I think he will be a 60-65 point guy when given tougher defensive assignments currently given to RNH (RNH likely gone if Drai is re-signed).

16 hours ago, The Lock said:

While I agree with you for the most part, the only thing I can say is Drai's already arguably putting up 1st line center numbers. Don't underestimate.

Other than that, I agree with everything else you've said.

Quantity and quality.

Bo is no slouch, neither is Leon.

But this team needs both in spades.  Trade all of our quality in quantity for 1 quality piece in return is crazy.

Keeping Bo, Trading Tanev for a solid prospect and a pick or two in the upcoming draft gives benning the chance to pick his prospect as well as his draft picks.  Something he arguably does very well.

We'd have better quantity of quality going that route than trading it all for 1 piece.

Just my opinion

4 minutes ago, Tre Mac said:

So Gaunce, Jensen, Schroeder and Hodgson?  I'd do that trade:ph34r:

You make a very good point.  I'm guessing that technically JB could trade guys to playoff teams and accumulate later first round picks, and pay up with four picks that fall between 16 and 31.  It certainly could mean four mediocre players (at best) for a star.  

5 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Way too much.  4 firsts:(

Yea, heavy price.

On the other hand, we may have the pieces to get, at least two of those back, making the penalty more acceptable and would make trading veterans like Edler and Tanev to contenders, more realistic, as we wouldn't be as hard pressed to get top 15 picks in return. 

Benning's gift of finding the talent after the first round is, also, very comforting.

To have Draisitl and Horvat 1, 2 would be awesome. 

I would love to see Benning give it a shot. Force Edmonton's hand. 

Archived