Canucks Community

[Signing] Canucks sign F Sam Gagner [3 year x $3.15M AAV]

10 minutes ago, combover said:

where the fourth line ...nope 

the third line ...nope 

the second line...nope

the top line..nope 

no space in any of the 6d either. 

the box yep ...great looks like willies development plan is alive and well. 

Guys pay there dues do what there asked in the minors in the offseason and then this orginzation rewards vey Larsen Chaput megna sutter and signs more guys that push them further away from a legit shot. 

I don't even mind the del zotto and gagner signings but then Tanev and sutter should be on there way out. 

What Guys? Subban? Virtanen? It has been slim pickins down there in Utica for some time now and did it every cross your mind that the minors is a much better place for some young players rather than being thrown to the wolves in the big leagues? 

As much as I don't like the DZ signing, I like this one.   He is a nearly 50 point per year guy on teams that were arguably worse (save last year) than any team the Canucks are likely to ice this year.   He is apparently a demon about training and that attitude will rub off on the younger players too (his Dad apparently was the same).   

7 minutes ago, combover said:

So where does he play

top line center nope 

second line center nope 

third line center sure except 4.5 million foundational sutter is there 

fourth line ....I'm sure a 3.15 million dollar offensive guy will pile up point there's playing with Dorset and hopefully gaunce 

almost 8 mill tied to the bottom centers 

i like gagner more more than I like sutter so if the plan is to trade sutter then great but I don't think there is a plan except to continue to do what been getting done for 4summers now throw sh.t at the wall and hope it sticks.

I'd be fine using him as a 4th line guy and giving him PP time.   That's how he has been used in the past, and put up decent points. 

Who care how much he makes playing on the 4th line? We have the space.  You don't pay his salary.  It really doesn't matter whatsoever. 

We aren't competing any time soon, and by the time that salarys matter for us again, the contract will be up. 

Also, what do you expect to pay for Sutter?   Puts up 20/15 no matter where he plays in the line up.  

Someone who is going to score you 20 goals, pk as well as he does, and win lots of key faceoffs is goi g to get paid well anywhere. 

I like this deal as well.  Gagner will be given the best opportunity of his career to produce.  If he does, this is a great deal, and we can flip him for a solid pick down the road.  If nothing else, Benning got us a few solid stop gaps, and some reasonable trade chips.

But is he foundational?

love the signing. The guy is a true 3rd line centre who can play up the line up and bolster the PP. we needed this guy last year. 

Team already looks much better than last year. I hope people get that moves like this actually HELP the rebuild. 

Sutter averaged more minutes than Horvat last year. If we move him, then Horvat will have take a lot of the match up duties. I doubt Sutter gets moved.

Many of the better teams have extra centers who play the wing. This gives the coach more flexibility with deployment. I like that players will have to earn their spot still. Sink or swim is a terrible development strategy.

1 minute ago, Pickly said:

What Guys? Subban? Virtanen? It has been slim pickins down there in Utica for some time now and did it every cross your mind that the minors is a much better place for some young players rather than being thrown to the wolves in the big leagues? 

Mceneny pedan Holm subban, virtanen, goldobin ect. Sooner or later you have to start playing some of your own products what the motivation from this organization if the message is always the same we don't believe in you. That's what managment told markstrom when they adimtitly tried to resign miller again the same message to all the guys in the farm that should be making the jump this year or next. Benning gets caught up in the hype every year. You'd think after 4 drafts and a self proclaimed super scout he'd have found a few players that could handle the NHL. 

the best part is benning probably believes this is a playoff team now.

2 minutes ago, CanadianRugby said:

Agreed.  Miss Gillman when I look at some of our newer contracts.  I missed it what did he say?

To really summarize he thinks the Canucks brass has made all the right moves so far. Says Burmistrov is his favourite signing, really thinks there is something there in him. Says Gagner will finally get Sutter off the PP and that means nothing but good things lol. 

With all the prospects that Benning has now acquired and drafted, you can clearly see that the plan has moved to phase two. There is a now a succession plan from the NHL level down to the Jr. level.

The young guys can now mature in the AHL and join the NHL team when ready. Would love to see Boeser, Jake, etc play together for a year and potentially go on a playoff run in the AHL playoffs.

Term/length isn't terrible as long as there's no NTC.  

Though I agree with what Ray Ferraro said on TSN.  

"Vancouver is going to sign 3 vets today but I don't know what they're trying to do, get from 29th to 23rd?  What's the point of that?"  

I'm hoping Gagne was signed so that he can be given an opportunity to play big minutes and has another good season, then gets flipped at a trade deadline.  

Archived