The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canucks sign D Michael Del Zotto [2 year x $3.0M AAV]

Comes in on a great contract. Allows OJ to be sheltered and has shown flashes of being a 40 pt d man in the past. With Newell Brown and a few more options on the pp he could turn into a good player for Us, and an even better player when we trade him at next year's deadline when OJ and perhaps another of our d prospects are ready to step in. Benning is doing this right.

Not keen on this player though the term and money is fine and it is an upgrade on Sbisa but don't like the way DZ plays on or off the ice.   Hopefully contract doesn't have a NM or similar clause that prevents TDL move for prospects should his old off-ice habits become an issue.

1 hour ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Not keen on this player though the term and money is fine and it is an upgrade on Sbisa but don't like the way DZ plays on or off the ice.   Hopefully contract doesn't have a NM or similar clause that prevents TDL move for prospects should his old off-ice habits become an issue.

Is he an upgrade on pizza? How so?

Is he going to run the Ryan Reaves of the league better?

Fight Peluso? 

I'm not sure what kind of an upgrade this guy is in heart or toughness, something this D sorely lacks. 

1 minute ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

Is he an upgrade on pizza? How so?

Is he going to run the Ryan Reaves of the league better?

Fight Peluso? 

I'm not sure what kind of an upgrade this guy is in heart or toughness, something this D sorely lacks. it

He can play actual D and makes less  money which is important in CAP era so I am told.    Apparently having someone who is better at their position (possession numbers, GA/TA etc.) and is paid less is apparently good asset management.   

Don't know about the heart thing as am not a cardiologist.

27 minutes ago, gurn said:

Worst signing of the day for Canucks, not a bad signing, but still the worst. Hopefuly he can have a good season, stay out of the negative personal stuff and be traded come the deadline.

What Dman would you have preferred ?

• -Vintage Canuck- changed the title to [Signing] Canucks sign D Michael Del Zotto [2 year x $3.0M AAV]
10 minutes ago, JoesRooster said:

What Dman would you have preferred ?

Somebody able to throw a bit of weight around, clear the net, and throw some fists if needed. Gudbranson is going to need a hand. Del Zotto may help the PP, and that does need help. I'm thinking half the value of Del Zotto is it will most likely keep Juolevi out of the NHL for one more season, perhaps playing over in Europe.

1 minute ago, gurn said:

Somebody able to throw a bit of weight around, clear the net, and throw some fists if needed. Gudbranson is going to need a hand. Del Zotto may help the PP, and that does need help. I'm thinking half the value of Del Zotto is it will most likely keep Juolevi out of the NHL for one more season, perhaps playing over in Europe.

Well, we got Wiercoch so theres that. 

Archived