The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canucks sign D Michael Del Zotto [2 year x $3.0M AAV]

53 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

He can play actual D and makes less  money which is important in CAP era so I am told.    Apparently having someone who is better at their position (possession numbers, GA/TA etc.) and is paid less is apparently good asset management.   

Don't know about the heart thing as am not a cardiologist.

That's an opinion. One is as good as the next, but that's all it is. 

There won't be anywhere for him to hide on this roster so we will all be able to pull out our subjective measuring tapes to access his play or compare him to Pizza. I know how much cap space this team is saving by signing fringe NHLers and hope it's not to sign UFAs by saving a few bucks on Pizza crust. 

Just now, 189lb enforcers? said:

There won't be anywhere for him to hide on this roster so we will all be able to pull out our subjective measuring tapes to access his play or compare him to Pizza. I know how much cap space this team is saving by signing fringe NHLers and hope it's not to sign UFAs by saving a few bucks on Pizza crust. 

Just curious, are you high?    I have read your response five times and either you are high or have a random word generator you are using.   Either way, cool!

7 minutes ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

i get what your saying, but wtf are you talking about?

9 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

Meanwhile, Toronto signs a 36-year-old for the same 2x$3mil...

Different phases on the sine wave of rebuilds? Obviously yes. 

Is TO insulating their proven, young, emerging core by signing a quality depth D to again take the Prez trophy winners into Game 7 OT in the playoffs with a team of kids or just struggling to stay out of the basement with very few impactful youth, like the Canucks?

Not sure how you're meanwhile stacks up over the next two years. Was your comment referencing stop gaps either way? (One for an emerging core and one with out/ 29th vs playoffs) 

1 minute ago, wshdrvvn said:

i get what your saying, but wtf are you talking about?

Cap space and proving the signing is an upgrade on Luca. 

Tank Commander Jim lost "Pizza" and replaced him with a "cheaper" version Dman, a recovery project, a crust; a scrap piece of what we already had.

Luca had finally grown into his salary and what he was projected to be. Let's see how we his replacement fares. He'll have every opportunity to become the next Bart, Larsen or better. Happiness is low expectations. 

Zepp makes Cap Space into some kind of positive spin after being unable to substantiate the claim and resultant question of this signing being an upgrade on Luca. If he is correct, the saving of cap space is a moot point anyways, unless JB is truely simple and about to "make a splash in the UFA pool", or the like, which is a fairly weak counter, imo. 

39 minutes ago, lmm said:

https://ca.sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-puck-daddy/michael-del-zotto-called-out-on-twitter-by-adult-film-actress-215615295.html

my new favorite player, haha

How are all you "Character Player" fans doin' out there?

I'm not really one of those "character player" people but I would guess stuff like this makes them feel a bit better: https://powerplate.com/news-and-media/beyond-the-offseason-nhl-michael-del-zotto-and-liam-traynor

MDZ has really supported this kid and made a real difference in his life. They talk regularly and have arranged visits and trips/games etc. for several years, starting from the NY days and continuing as Del Zotto has moved from team to team. Apparently the kid still texts MDZ before every game and they remain very close.

On 7/1/2017 at 9:54 AM, BCNate said:

I didn't realize how young he is.  He has shown flashes of real solid play and is just entering his prime now.  If nothing else, he is better than Larsen.

That's not saying much.

Like Benning's other signings. Hate this one. If you thought Sbisa was an adventure in his own zone, wait till Del Zotto -- the anti-Tanev -- tries to figure out where to be, go, or pass.

3 hours ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

Another sub-200lb Dman.

...who had 173 hits last year in 53 games (good for 3.4 hits a game). He's not an enforcer, no doubt, but he can be effective in using the body (a whole 5lbs under 200 by the way). If you're going to be a one-trick poster, you need to be a bit more educated about that one trick.

Contract is ok; 2 years I'm happy with but whatever on the $3M per year. He is what he is and hopefully he helps.

2 hours ago, gurn said:

I had not seen that deal, looks like my need for size has been met,.

See my above post.

Weircioch in comparison had 0.9 hits per game last year (and that's not an outlier, but his career average as well).

Just now, elvis15 said:

...who had 173 hits last year in 53 games (good for 3.4 hits a game). He's not an enforcer, no doubt, but he can be effective in using the body (a whole 5lbs under 200 by the way). If you're going to be a one-trick poster, you need to be a bit more educated about that one trick.

Contract is ok; 2 years I'm happy with but whatever on the $3M per year. He is what he is and hopefully he helps.

Educate?

Elvis, are hit stats accurately kept or are they as subjective as your post?

173 hits for a player who plays that style and in those situations will have hits, but what kind? A195lb hitter, who is not feared or notable. 

Archived