The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canucks sign D Michael Del Zotto [2 year x $3.0M AAV]

On 01/07/2017 at 9:07 AM, mll said:

10 pts on the powerplay in 167 games for the Flyers.

He wasn't playing on the powerplay much. They used him as a shutdown d man against the other teams top lines.  That s one of the reasons he said he signed here.  

On 7/2/2017 at 10:03 AM, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

@VanGnome: Pretty sure the Luongo trade was one of the last moves Mike Gillis did in his era here, and is not a Jim Benning move.

Right you are, completely forgot about that. If nothing else, Benning gets credit for rehabbing Markstrom to the point where he's even being considered as a starting goaltender, and a lot of that is thanks to Dan Cloutier.

10 minutes ago, VanGnome said:

Right you are, completely forgot about that. If nothing else, Benning gets credit for rehabbing Markstrom to the point where he's even being considered as a starting goaltender, and a lot of that is thanks to

Rollie Melanson

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/meet-the-man-behind-the-canucks-goaltending-success/

http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/Rollie+Melanson+mentoring+Jacob+Markstrom+leads+gains/10839964/story.html

9 minutes ago, oldnews said:

Damn. Sun must have gotten to me head while golfing today.I thought that Cloutier had worked with Markstrom a bit.

9 minutes ago, VanGnome said:

Damn. Sun must have gotten to me head while golfing today.I thought that Cloutier had worked with Markstrom a bit.

no doubt Cloutier has, but just saying that RM was here for Markstrom's first years, had him work on those patented RM forms  - ie playing deeper in the net / better economy of movement that really seemed to spark Markstrom back to form and take his game to the level where he was a cornerstone in their Calder final run.

I wonder how @Rey feels about this signing? I remember a few years back, Rey and I had a little tiff, because I wanted to trade Edler to New York for Del Zotto (+). Then, he proceed in saying how Del Zotto was terrible and was soft as butter. I shut him up by calculating the hits between the two in a 3 year span, and Del Zotto outhit Edler by a wide margin. He never replied back to me. 

23 hours ago, VanGnome said:

Right you are, completely forgot about that. If nothing else, Benning gets credit for rehabbing Markstrom to the point where he's even being considered as a starting goaltender, and a lot of that is thanks to Dan Cloutier.

funny thing about Markstrom vs Luongo, a week or so before the trade, a long time Panther fan made a Markstrom for Luongo proposal on hfboards.com  It was quickly shot down by everyone, saying how Markstrom has a bright future and Luongo is washed up and how Canucks will never get Markstrom as a return for Luongo.  A poll was even made that the users there favored Markstrom more then Luongo.

A week later the trade was made, and another poll asking who won the trade, the irony at that point was that Panthers won the trade despite a week ago everyone loved Markstrom more.

Just now, MoneypuckOverlord said:

funny thing about Markstrom vs Luongo, a week or so before the trade, a long time Panther fan made a Markstrom for Luongo proposal on hfboards.com  It was quickly shot down by everyone, saying how Markstrom has a bright future and Luongo is washed up and how Canucks will never get Markstrom as a return for Luongo.  A poll was even made that the users there favored Markstrom more then Luongo.

A week later the trade was made, and another poll asking who won the trade, the irony at that point was that Panthers won the trade despite a week ago everyone loved Markstrom more.

Exactly why I pay little heed to the vitriol on HF Boards. I still believe that Markstrom has a bright future, he just needs to be given a legit chance to show it, which by all accounts he's going to get this year. Time for him to nut up or shut up, as the saying goes.

I think Del Zotto is an interesting fit.

They'll have the pairing of Edler and Tanev as usual to shoulder the harder minutes/matchup pairing.

They'll have Hutton and Gudbranson - hopefully healthy enough - to see if/how Hutton can thrive with a big, mobile stay-at-home partner.

And Del Zotto brings a bit of a mixed bag.   Had the upside, puck moving to his game when he broke in - played more of a hard minutes role with Gudas in Philly, has a reasonable amount of grit - so it'll be interesting as a veteran partner for Stecher what those two can make of their minutes.

With the forward lines shaping up looking like there's a possibility they go with an unconventional fourth line - perhaps with Gagner flanked by Gaunce and Goldobin? - the team could have the option of an upside third pairing and a fourth line looking to contribute secondary scoring.    With the Sutter and Horvat lines - and the Tanev pairing handling the heavier load - it could be interesting what a Gagner + skill 4th line and DZ + Stecher third pairing could manage with relatively easier minutes.

Of course, that assumes that Wiercioch - or Holm (or Pedan/Subban) - don't command a spot - which of course I can't say at this point - but regardless, I do like the options the team has lined up to run with either types of setups - traditional hard to play against fourth line (ie Gaunce Chaput Dorsett) or upside fourth line - and a more traditional third pairing (perhaps with Wiercioch) vs more of a puck moving third pairing.  Should be interesting with no shortage of competition for spots.

17 hours ago, shiznak said:

I wonder how @Rey feels about this signing? I remember a few years back, Rey and I had a little tiff, because I wanted to trade Edler to New York for Del Zotto (+). Then, he proceed in saying how Del Zotto was terrible and was soft as butter. I shut him up by calculating the hits between the two in a 3 year span, and Del Zotto outhit Edler by a wide margin. He never replied back to me. 

There was a fair point made in the Weircioch thread that the number of hits doesn't equal a player's actual physicality one for one. It also doesn't measure the effectiveness nor the impact of the hits. But it's very true that Del Zotto registers a lot of hits.

On 2017/7/2 at 5:46 AM, 189lb enforcers? said:

I understand where you are coming from. I'm not going into the difference of a DelZ behind Crosby vs Horvat. 

My point is about the meanwhile; the now until the rebuild is over. What is the point in going small on the D during a rebuild when the forwards are incredibly small/soft? At least lose well. They are easily pushed around and he's done nothing to change this. 

Like a few other things in life and sports, size is not the only thing that matters. Skills matter too. Think of Guddy as replacing Sbisa and MDZ replacing Larsen. Better?

4 hours ago, blackpluto96 said:

Like a few other things in life and sports, size is not the only thing that matters. Skills matter too. Think of Guddy as replacing Sbisa and MDZ replacing Larsen. Better?

I agree partially with that synopsis, my toenail could have replaced Larsen.

9 hours ago, westcoast said:

Hopefully Del Zotto realizes his good fortune and acts accordingly off the ice around the next wave of Canucks.

Yeah cos the next wave of Canucks have never seen strippers or watched adult film before.:rolleyes:

12 hours ago, westcoast said:

Hopefully Del Zotto realizes his good fortune and acts accordingly off the ice around the next wave of Canucks.

Acts accordingly? Meaning walking old ladies across the street and singing songs about carnal forbearance? Please. He's a single professional athlete. What he does on the ice is of the most importance.

And he is actually a great friend to a kid in New York state named Liam Traynor who has cerebral palsy.

6 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Acts accordingly? Meaning walking old ladies across the street and singing songs about carnal forbearance? Please. He's a single professional athlete. What he does on the ice is of the most importance.

And he is actually a great friend to a kid in New York state named Liam Traynor who has cerebral palsy.

whats the background here on Del Z? I'm out of the loop.

Archived