The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canucks sign G Anders Nilsson [2 year x $2.5M AAV]

cut.jpg

Vancouver, BC - Vancouver Canucks General Manager Jim Benning announced today that the club has signed goaltender Anders Nilsson to a two-year, one-way contract worth an annual average value of $2,500,000.

"Anders has a big, athletic frame and we expect that he will compete at high level when called upon," said Benning. "Alongside Jacob, we feel his addition will continue to make us competitive every night at the goaltending position."

Nilsson, 27, played 26 games during the 2016.17 season with Buffalo posting a 10-10-4 record along with a .923 save percentage and a 2.67 GAA. In 78 career NHL games split between Buffalo, St. Louis, Edmonton and the New York Islanders, he has posted a record of 29-32-8 along with a .908 save percentage and a 2.94 GAA. 

Internationally the Lulea, Sweden native has represented his country twice in international competitions, winning a bronze at both the 2014 World Championship and the 2010 World Junior Championship. The 6-5, 229-pound goaltender also played the 2014.15 season with AK Bars Kazan of the KHL. 

Nilsson was originally selected by the New York Islanders in the third round, 62nd overall, at the 2009 NHL Entry Draft.

https://www.nhl.com/canucks/news/canucks-sign-anders-nilsson/c-290252042

• b3. pinned this topic
9 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

That's a great term, great cap hit

Solid signing yet again Benning.

The anti everything crowd is going to be hard pressed to do anything but mope at this point

Believe me, if they want to complain, they'll find a way to complain about a puppy playing. 

I think this is my  favorite of the four signings - although I like the other three as well, particularly the Burmistrov deal, and the Del Zotto term and hit.

If Gagner can sustain, he'll be worth more than his contract as well.

Nilsson will make a great tandem with Markstrom - really glad the team went this route.

Really good value signings by GMJB, none of which overcommit or cause any cap problems moving forward.

The competition up front will be healthy.

Archived