The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canucks sign G Anders Nilsson [2 year x $2.5M AAV]

1 hour ago, Toyotasfan said:

At least we are not paying 6 mil a year for 2.80 GAA and .910 SA% 

anymore.

Well, to defend all goalies everywhere, those two stats can be reflective of team stats if quality and number of chances are massive and Canucks were pretty porous last year in terms of odd man rushes etc.   Not saying he deserved Vezina but he was a pretty good goalie for the Canucks last year even if the numbers you pulled out don't say he was more than just average.   Carey Price, Jacques Plante or the Dominator all would have had potentially similar stats with the number of high quality chances they would have had to defend last year.   None of them had to play behind Sbisa for 20 minutes each night, for one example.

6 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Well, to defend all goalies everywhere, those two stats can be reflective of team stats if quality and number of chances are massive and Canucks were pretty porous last year in terms of odd man rushes etc.   Not saying he deserved Vezina but he was a pretty good goalie for the Canucks last year even if the numbers you pulled out don't say he was more than just average.   Carey Price, Jacques Plante or the Dominator all would have had potentially similar stats with the number of high quality chances they would have had to defend last year.   None of them had to play behind Sbisa for 20 minutes each night, for one example.

I liked Miller, we badly overpaid for him, I would love to have him here still for the 2 mil / year that Aneheim signed him for. 

3 minutes ago, Toyotasfan said:

I liked Miller, we badly overpaid for him, I would love to have him here still for the 2 mil / year that Aneheim signed him for. 

If his wife was located here, we could likely have had him even less than the Ducks contract.   I got the sense he truly enjoyed being here.

Nilsson Marky combo will lead us to the promise land! 

ALL HAIL THE SWEDISH ELITE! 

The single greatest 1-2 goaltending punch in the history of sports entertainment! 

Jokes aside... this has to be the best looking goaltending duo in NHL history since we had Cloutier and Hedberg combo in 03-04. 

On 7/3/2017 at 0:34 PM, Toyotasfan said:

At least we are not paying 6 mil a year for 2.80 GAA and .910 SA% 

anymore.

He was at the league average of .914 with a terrible team in front of him.  Where did you get the .910?  With 54 GP and over 3.2k minutes played, that .04 does make a difference just to "head you off at the pass" before you use that in a reply.

I agree though, 6M AAV was an overpayment.  4M AAV would have been a fair deal a few years ago when he signed.  Teams weren't exactly lining up to get him after the debacle in St. Louis.

On 2017-07-01 at 9:48 AM, E. Lindros said:

Niemi 700k  now that is bargain hunting for a backup!

Lets see this swedish tank in net tho!

People would have complained if we'd signed the old, washed up, buyout Niemi though.  The Penguins add the lustre there.

On 2017-07-01 at 9:15 AM, Hutton Wink said:

In comparison, I think we did alright:

Remember when the Leafs sent Scrivens (who Anaheim traded for a 3rd), Matt Frattin and a 2nd to Anaheim for Bernier.....and then turned around and dealt him for a "conditional" pick that was a pipe dream and turned out to be literally nothing?

And then a 1st and 2nd to Anaheim for Andersen.

LOL.

Anaheim took them for a 1st, 2 x 2nds, Scrivens/3rd and the Leafs ended up with Andersen.

Picks, picks, picks.  #likeLeafs.

Meh, what good are Markstrom or Nilsson?  #notpicks.

20 hours ago, oldnews said:

People would have complained if we'd signed the old, washed up, buyout Niemi though.  The Penguins add the lustre there.

Remember when the Leafs sent Scrivens (who Anaheim traded for a 3rd), Matt Frattin and a 2nd to Anaheim for Bernier.....and then turned around and dealt him for a "conditional" pick that was a pipe dream and turned out to be literally nothing?

And then a 1st and 2nd to Anaheim for Andersen.

LOL.

Anaheim took them for a 1st, 2 x 2nds, Scrivens/3rd and the Leafs ended up with Andersen.

Picks, picks, picks.  #likeLeafs.

Meh, what good are Markstrom or Nilsson?  #notpicks.

#properrebuild

• b3. unpinned this topic
On ‎7‎/‎1‎/‎2017 at 9:06 AM, -Vintage Canuck- said:

I watched/watch a decent amount of oilers games because of McJesus.  Nilsson looked awesome early on.  He had incredible KHL stats too.  He just seems to have a fragile mental mind set like Markstrom.  I remember when Markstrom go lit up in his first few Canucks games.  Hopefully together they figure it out because they both are actually very talented.  I would even say Nilsson could easily win the job and is the more talented of the two.  He is very skilled if he can gain the starters mindset and shake off the bad games.  Miller really was such a pro at this.  Every time he had an awful game he was back to his normal self the next game.  It really seemed to have absolutely no affect on him.  Markstrom/Nilsson are only as good as their last start.  When they are good...they are good...when they are bad they are terrible.  On a bad team you are going to have bad games, so you need to learn to shake it off.

Now I didn't watch Nilsson in Buffalo.  His numbers seemed to have improved there.  I think there really isn't much of a difference between him and Lehrner.  I really think this maybe the most underrated signing of all of them.

• 1 month later...

Man if Anders can get even close to his stats last year, we're gonna have a gem on our hands... just drooling the thought of having a free agent steal. 

2016-17  Buffalo Sabres              NHL    26  1493   66   0  1  2.67  10  10   4   791  0.923

3 minutes ago, apollo said:

Man if Anders can get even close to his stats last year, we're gonna have a gem on our hands... just drooling the thought of having a free agent steal. 

2016-17  Buffalo Sabres              NHL    26  1493   66   0  1  2.67  10  10   4   791  0.923

I picked Nielsen as my dark horse for this season.  I see him taking the net from Markstrom and keeping it.  Plus, we are not going to score much, so one of our goalies will need to be awesome for us to win.  

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

I picked Nielsen as my dark horse for this season.  I see him taking the net from Markstrom and keeping it.  Plus, we are not going to score much, so one of our goalies will need to be awesome for us to win.  

Hmmm... I really hope one guy takes the reigns and runs with it... I'm indifferent as to which one does, just hope one guy does. The similarities between Anders and Marky seem to be endless... one of them has to catch fire? You would hope. 

Both on very manageable contracts... although I still don't see what on earth Marky did to justify a 3 years 3.66AAV deal but maybe it'll pay off down the road. 

Archived