The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Daniel Alfredsson leaving Ottawa Senators organization

This kind of caught me off guard tbh, especially the run they had in the playoffs this year.

Daniel Alfredsson is leaving the Ottawa Senators, again.

The franchise icon had been serving as the club’s senior advisor of hockey operations but will not be filling that role heading into the 2017-18 season.

“After two enjoyable years learning about the front office of hockey with the Senators, I’m pleased to pass along that I’ve made the decision to step away from the game and will take this time to evaluate what professional challenge I will pursue next,” said Alfredsson in a team-released statement.

“I want to thank the Senators for the opportunity; it has enabled me to understand the type of commitments required to work in hockey should I determine that to be my future path. Our first order of business is getting established in our new home in Ottawa and returning to Gothenburg, with my family, to visit Swedish family and friends for the summer. We look forward to sharing the details of what’s next for the Alfredsson family in the future.”

Alfredsson rejoined the Senators in an executive role after for two seasons after his playing career wrapped up.

His contract with the team’s front office, which was extended once, was due for renewal.

In 2016, Alfredsson became the first player in modern Senators history to have his sweater number retired by the team.

Happy Canada Day everyone,
Fortunate to live in in the best city "Ottawa"

— Daniel Alfredsson (@DAlfredsson11) July 1, 2017

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/daniel-alfredsson-leaving-ottawa-senators-organization/

Archived