The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

TSN Grades Canucks Lowest of all Canadian Teams on July 1st

cuporbust

July 1st   

475 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Hey guys,

Not sure how many of you watched tsn's july 1st coverage , but I thought it was a horrible take on the canucks signings. 

Of all the Canadian teams , the "pannel" gave the canucks a "C" which was the lowest grade of the day. Two of the commentators also listed the Canucks as losers of the day saying they "didnt know what the Canucks are" as the reason. 

Personally, I am surprised these idiots didnt see what Benning was trying to accomplish. I believe he is focused on the future, but also wants to remain competitive and develope the kids in a good environment. I think he accomplished what he set out to do , and it cost us nothing but cap space. 

Thoughts ?     

I agree with the panel. Why are we signing rejects from other teams to 2 and 3 year deals?

Vancouver is in an identity crisis because ownership got involved and wouldn't let the team just tank. Trying to remain competitive is futile, and wastes time.

We will end up like Edmonton with 10 years of no playoffs unless something drastic happens.

Last year should have been our year to get a high pick, and although we lost out in lottery, that's the direction the team should and likely will be headed in the near future.

I wouldn't say the Canucks were losers since nobody can really lose in free agency, but some moves just made me scratch my head.

If you want to draw conclusions on management's mind set at free agency, I would agree it seems the goal is rather blurred, but I wouldn't blame that all on Benning. Linden is the Aquillini's lap dog when it comes to hockey operations.

I think the real loss was not moving out any veterans for more picks at the draft, but that's a different topic.

Call it the Toronto inferiority complex. They have to crap on anything outside the GTA or anything not parroting the "Shannaplan" (gag).

Benning is doing it right. We can't rely on the lotto. He has to develop a new core that knows how to play. He has to pick guys like Pettersson that have the potential to be the best from the draft. We're not TO, we have to actually earn it.

4 minutes ago, S'all Good Man said:

Call it the Toronto inferiority complex. They have to crap on anything outside the GTA or anything not parroting the "Shannaplan" (gag).

Benning is doing it right. We can't rely on the lotto. He has to develop a new core that knows how to play. He has to pick guys like Pettersson that have the potential to be the best from the draft. We're not TO, we have to actually earn it.

Why did you neg my post?

Are you saying Del Zotto and Gagner are our "new core"? Do you honestly think Pettersson has that potential? I sure don't.

I don't think this "we aren't Toronto" arguement is anywhere near valid, as if the league and the media are against the Canucks. I think you forgot to put on your tin foil hat this morning.

I'm blown away by their analysis. The deals we're giving them aren't long and are relatively low risk, and cheap. The only case you could make, one that Pass it to Bulis made, is that we signed too many players. Even so, more depth to Utica could be good anyways. I can't understand how they think we were terrible on July 1.

We lost Sbisa tryamkin miller, the team couldn't score last season 

we brought in a 4/5 dman that hasn't put up pp points in his career and is noted for being as inconsistant as Sbisa 

we got two bottom six forwards one coming of a career year on one of the best teams in the league.

a back goaltender, and another depth dman that really serves no purpose other than to take biega spot in the press box most nights. 

So on a team that's filled with what 25 other NHL team would call depth player we added depth players.

if the goal is to keep the kids in the A and in jr then benning did a great job but he didn't leave any openings as it stands now for any of the kids to "earn" a spot. 

Waivers and trades could change that but the so called "competitive" team isn't as good as what took to the ice to start last season and defiantly has less ticket selling hype around it.

22 million spent so the team can Finish 31st. 

They needed a backup - he went and got a backup

They needed depth on D - They just lost 2 dmen for 2#$#$ sakes...He went and got depth on D.  this gives guys like Juolevi more time to simmer, and it takes the pressure off of guys like Stech and Hutton if there are injuries.  Its not like they paid big money for a top 4 d.

They needed depth up front, im sure JB saw enough of Chaput and Megna, so they went and got a guy that got 50 pts last year and signed him  to a reasonable term.  The term makes it possible to flip him at the next couple TDL if he performs well.

The cherry on the top is that these signings also are beneficial for Utica - the cupboards down there wont be picked dry every time there are a couple injuries.

JB cannot win right now - he signs nobody he loses, he signs a high profile ufa he loses, he signs guys as stop gap measures he loses.

Tell you what, let them circle jerk over the coil and lames all day, meanwhile JB can quietly assemble a team here via the draft and shelter players the right way.

Who cares about the ranking by a media outlet?   In any event, the Canuck management clearly didn't want their prospect pool to develop without competition and the sense likely was that without adding some pieces they would have some entitlement and/or rushing players too quickly which both Edmonton and Toronto did during their decade or so in the wilderness.    

What is interesting about the ranking, irrespective of the numerical or letter grade score, is that Canucks grabbed only relatively young players (all in the 20s) on short contracts with absolutely no strings attached to any contract - in other words with the use of ZERO assets, they added SIX assets that can be traded etc. to add assets.   The total money per player was very low as well in terms of projected performance (I am not a fan of DZ signing myself, but rest are more than fine....5/6 is a pretty good hit rate).   What makes that overall scenario interesting is that another Canadian team only grabbed at pretty relatively high cost players in mid/late 30s and got a better "score".   

Whatever!   

4 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

I'm blown away by their analysis. The deals we're giving them aren't long and are relatively low risk, and cheap. The only case you could make, one that Pass it to Bulis made, is that we signed too many players. Even so, more depth to Utica could be good anyways. I can't understand how they think we were terrible on July 1.

Me too.. we made our team more competitive, insulated our youth, created healthy internal competition and signed players on good value / short term deals with upside.

haters..

7 minutes ago, Baer. said:

Why did you neg my post?

Are you saying Del Zotto and Gagner are our "new core"? Do you honestly think Pettersson has that potential? I sure don't.

I don't think this "we aren't Toronto" arguement is anywhere near valid, as if the league and the media are against the Canucks. I think you forgot to put on your tin foil hat this morning.

Any posts that critique the Canucks will get negged here. lOL

Why did you neg my post?

What do you base this on?

Why did you neg my post?

I would absolutely love to hear your reasoning behind this.

4 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

They pretty much said this might move us to the middle of the pack instead of bottoming out for a high pick. They were basically advocating the tank. They are complete morons imo. Bringing kids up in an environment where you are trying to lose is incredibly damaging to development imo. Its not ok to lose ....ever. I would rather Benning do his best to improve the team and draft where we end up. I think that is the best way to develope , as long as the acquired players are low risk , reasonable contract,  and short term as you pointed out. 

10 minutes ago, Baer. said:

I agree with the panel. Why are we signing rejects from other teams to 2 and 3 year deals?

Vancouver is in an identity crisis because ownership got involved and wouldn't let the team just tank. Trying to remain competitive is futile, and wastes time.

We will end up like Edmonton with 10 years of no playoffs unless something drastic happens.

Last year should have been our year to get a high pick, and although we lost out in lottery, that's the direction the team should and likely will be headed in the near future.

I wouldn't say the Canucks were losers since nobody can really lose in free agency, but some moves just made me scratch my head.

If you want to draw conclusions on management's mind set at free agency, I would agree it seems the goal is rather blurred, but I wouldn't blame that all on Benning. Linden is the Aquillini's lap dog when it comes to hockey operations.

I think the real loss was not moving out any veterans for more picks at the draft, but that's a different topic.

So your management plan would be to have the worst team possible and hope to win the lottery eventually.   Also, if you cannot trade someone for a pick that is somehow the team's fault?

You need to ice some form of a team you realize.   Just because you are no longer winning President's Cups and competing for SC in playoffs year in/out that now you can simply not ice a team.

Your "something drastic happens" implies that either the team gets luck with an overall first or similar pick or some other team simply gives them a generational boost whilst gutting their own team.    Your plan seems to be based upon "luck" versus actually working on developing your own prospects and making enough meaningful moves to turn the corner.   Have they started that process?   Team seems to be further along then at end of the season that is for sure.   Is it enough to get them back into playoffs?  Doubtful but more moves are likely and for the lose of ZERO assets then now have SIX assets that can be used to further deepen their prospect pool at TDL or whenever should they so choose plus the added bonus of creating a more competitive environment AND having likely quite a strong Utica team.

That seems to be Canuck plan which is based upon hard work, hockey moves and development of prospects.   IF they get lucky in draft, bonus but they don't have to rely upon it.   I hope for your retirement you are not relying upon lottery tickets.

Out: Miller, Hansen, Burrows, Sbisa, Tryamkin

In: Gagner, Del Zotto, Nilsen, Burmistrov, Weircoch

Sedins another year older...

(Sarcasm) Look out Penguins

JB was very clear - he made these moves to shelter the prospects and make them earn it.  

As a bonus it might keep the absolute tire fire that was the end of last season from repeating, at least before injuries set in.  The only thing pulling us out of the bottom 5 is improvement from our young players - which is a good thing.  

25 minutes ago, combover said:

We lost Sbisa tryamkin miller, the team couldn't score last season 

we brought in a 4/5 dman that hasn't put up pp points in his career and is noted for being as inconsistant as Sbisa 

we got two bottom six forwards one coming of a career year on one of the best teams in the league.

a back goaltender, and another depth dman that really serves no purpose other than to take biega spot in the press box most nights. 

So on a team that's filled with what 25 other NHL team would call depth player we added depth players.

if the goal is to keep the kids in the A and in jr then benning did a great job but he didn't leave any openings as it stands now for any of the kids to "earn" a spot. 

Waivers and trades could change that but the so called "competitive" team isn't as good as what took to the ice to start last season and defiantly has less ticket selling hype around it.

22 million spent so the team can Finish 31st. 

The focus is on development though, not where this team will finish this year.  These signings give the Canucks the opportunity to development their younger players in Utica if they wish.  How hard is this to see?

The Canucks do nothing:  "AAAAAAAH THEY SUCK!!!!!!! And they're leaving their rookies out to dry because they have absolutely no depth!"

The Canucks sign big name free agents:  "Who are they kidding?  Their draft picks must suck because they just replaced them."

The Canucks sign depth that can be easily moved:  "I'm confused, I thought the Canucks were rebuilding but yet they replace they're rookies spots in the lineup with free agents.

Just because the Canucks haven't traded away EVERY SINGLE FREAKING PLAYER OVER 23, can still mean they are rebuilding.  Just because they're not plugging in 5 rookies a year in major positions to sink or swim in the NHL, doesn't mean they're not rebuilding.  I'd ask what people want, but I know.  This won't be considered a rebuild until Tanev is traded for a unicorn and the Canucks manage a way to find a sliver of luck and get a top 3 draft pick.

I've stopped listening/reading TSN articles about the Canucks many years ago. Pretty evident that they know nothing about us. Only time I would read is if it's a Ray Ferraro or Bob McKenzie post. Sometimes Pierre Lebrun but thats about it. Everyone else is a Maple Leaf hack

I would the Nucks a C+. I'm not enamored with any of our signings, but I'm also happy to see them learn their lesson from last year and not throw big money at a FA for the sake of capturing a name like they did with Loui. I don't like giving Gagner 3 years, but the $ is ok.

In the end, this team is no better than last year. If management is ready to embrace "Fallin for Dahlen" then it's ok. 

• -SN- changed the title to TSN Grades Canucks Lowest of all Canadian Teams on July 1st

Archived