The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Avalanche sign Yakupov

Well... a historically disappointing forward on a recently disappointing team. I kind of want him to do well, but I'm glad the Avs suck.

Edits: Apparently 1 year, 875k deal.

Also reported on TSN.

1 minute ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Countdown until Sakic is canned starts.....now.

Why... because he signed Yakupov?  Chances are it's for well under 2m.  1.5?  1.25?  Pretty low risk, high reward move.  Even Nail needs to realize this is one of his last chances to put his career back on track so it is entirely possible he will produce more than such a low-priced contract would typically provide.

Not to say that Sakic isn't in the hot seat.  He hasn't put together a competitive team at all.  But signing Yakupov is the least of his worries.

17 minutes ago, kloubek said:

Why... because he signed Yakupov?  Chances are it's for well under 2m.  1.5?  1.25?  Pretty low risk, high reward move.  Even Nail needs to realize this is one of his last chances to put his career back on track so it is entirely possible he will produce more than such a low-priced contract would typically provide.

Not to say that Sakic isn't in the hot seat.  He hasn't put together a competitive team at all.  But signing Yakupov is the least of his worries.

Sakic isn't on the hot seat. Kroenke is the owner.

875k... wish this was a risk Jimbo would have taken. 

Hope this guy can turn his career around... he's a very likable character. Also I love him 10x more since he said he wanted to play here. Not to mention his love for Bure. 

Good luck Yak... 

At least we grabbed Burmy. 

A risk the AVs can and may as well take.

The problem with Yakupov in that destination is that virtually everyone there had horrible seasons, and some decent players literally crashed in Colorado - their production falling right off the map. Colborne disappeared.  Soderberg crashed.  Mitchell botomed out.  Their entire top 6 underproduced - their 4th, 5th and 6th leading scorers had 33, 23, and 20 points. 

Morever they are young - so where do you play Yakupov?  Maybe a Wilson Colborne Yakupov third line - but I suspect they're going to want Wilson to be in their top 6....

Who knows - doesn't look like a very good fit but perhaps the lack of pressure there, and some young talent might help - but it kinda looks like Edmonton all over again.

Archived