The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Ilya Kovalchuk will return to KHL for one more season

14 minutes ago, Fanuck said:

Or Kovalchuk got selective and wanted to hand-pick his team - we don't really know do we? 

yeah we have no idea.  id take a 3rd for his rights if he was gonna walk. could just be posturing though.

20 hours ago, goalie13 said:

I'm not surprised.  If he just waits one more year he comes back as a UFA, and this way he will likely get to participate in the Olympics.

Never thought of the Olympic side of things, that's a good point. Will be interesting to see what happens with the NHL's Russians as we get closer and closer.

NJ got too greedy which is just laughable. They wanted a "fair" deal. Um if all you can get is a 3rd round pick I'd take that. This is a situation that will probably never happen again don't just toss away a pick or whatever it was cause you want a "fair" deal.

21 hours ago, goalie13 said:

I'm not surprised.  If he just waits one more year he comes back as a UFA, and this way he will likely get to participate in the Olympics.

What's the point of the olympics for these guys?  Him and Ovechkin had several chances to win medals.  Now they are all giddy about playing some team Canada made up of university players....not much meaning.

1 hour ago, BCNeil said:

What's the point of the olympics for these guys?  Him and Ovechkin had several chances to win medals.  Now they are all giddy about playing some team Canada made up of university players....not much meaning.

Look at all the doping scandals that have plagued Russia lately.  Do you think they are all that concerned about how they win, or just that they win?  I'm guessing the Russian Ice Hockey Federation sees the withdrawal of the NHL from the Olympics as a great opportunity.  And I am also guessing that some of the players see it the same way.

Ilya Kovalchuk put to rest any rumours that he was planning an NHL comeback this year, saying he never even spoke to the New Jersey Devils.

"Nothing [is wrong with New Jersey]. I didn't negotiate with New Jersey. At the moment I figured out that NHL players were not going to the Olympics, I told my agent I will go to Saint Petersburg for a year."

"A lot of rumours, don't believe it. I didn't speak with anyone [in the NHL]. It's better not to propose [if I will go to the NHL next summer]. Right now I have to focus on my preparation."

• 2 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

Kovalchuk will make $3.38 million USD next season, down from the $5.5 million USD he was making the season before

Ouch. I'm sure this will be him in October:

IMG_1802.JPG.ae637cc95063cfd60aae0f65f6160ca1.JPG

On 2017-07-10 at 2:24 PM, -Vintage Canuck- said:

"Nothing [is wrong with New Jersey]. I didn't negotiate with New Jersey. At the moment I figured out that NHL players were not going to the Olympics, I told my agent I will go to Saint Petersburg for a year."

Good for him.

Suck on that Bettman.

14 hours ago, oldnews said:

Good for him.

Suck on that Bettman.

To my knowledge not going to the Olympics is a ownership decision not Bettman's. 

A choice between a group of NHL owners priorities and the corrupt oligarchs who run a crooked monopoly on world sports. The fans lose out. To be honest I rarely watch any Olympic coverage other than hockey. My nationalistic urges will have to be served by the WJC. 

New Jersey Devils GM Ray Shero says that when Ilya Kovalchuk comes back next season, the Devils will not be offering him a new contract.

"If he had been back this year it would have been fantastic and if it’s going to be next year for himself, that’s great. It just won’t be in New Jersey."

Archived