The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Acquiring Jesse Puljujärvi

Wondering if Jesse Puljujärvi would be up for grabs for the right price. Not sure if he fits into Edmontons top six and Edmonton could probably use a defenseman more.

Would Gudbranson get us Puljujärvi.  Or we we have to add a 2nd. I'd like to see him on this team given his history with OJ.

Thoughts?

They're going to need JPs cheap salary for the next couple of years tho... so we'd have to take back an anchor like Fayne in the deal. So if it was something like Guddy for Fayne and JP but even then I don't think they'd do it, EDM tends not to do the right things on D. 

How does Gudbranson get us JP? JP is a 4th OA pick one year removed from being drafted. Sure, he didn't have a fantastic season, but why would the Oilers give him up for a #4/#5 guy D that had a pretty bad start to last season plus a big injury?

If you want Gudbranson to get JP, you'll have to add a bunch of picks and a 2nd isn't going to cut it.

Oilers need a cheap guy like Puljujarvi (Poo party) in their line up especially after Mcdavid (Mcpoops) and Draisaitls (Draispoodpants) sign their Oiler for life contracts.

I don't understand the obsession with people wanting to acquire Edmonton Oilers players, yes they are good but they are rivals.

keep our own players and draft our own players!

His low salary will balance the hefty McDavid and Draisatl salaries for a few years. Prior to the draft, I wanted the Canucks to acquire him so I checked various Edmonton forums and Edmonton newspapers about what they think of his previous season - the summary is that they love him and they think he did well enough in the AHL. So basically, it sounds like he's untouchable. We'll probably need to give up Juolevi and somebody like Hutton for them to even consider it...

In a world where Gudbranson lands JP, Mark Fayne can net Horvat for the Oilers.

If JP was ever available, it would cost at least 1 of Elias or Boeser. Not that it matters because Oilers aren't trading JP and the Nucks aren't trading 1 of those guys.

27 minutes ago, Blue Jay 22 said:

In a world where Gudbranson lands JP, Mark Fayne can net Horvat for the Oilers.

If JP was ever available, it would cost at least 1 of Elias or Boeser. Not that it matters because Oilers aren't trading JP and the Nucks aren't trading 1 of those guys.

Is that the same world where Larsson gets you Hall?

1 hour ago, canuckmen84 said:

Oilers need a cheap guy like Puljujarvi (Poo party) in their line up especially after Mcdavid (Mcpoops) and Draisaitls (Draispoodpants) sign their Oiler for life contracts.

I don't understand the obsession with people wanting to acquire Edmonton Oilers players, yes they are good but they are rivals.

keep our own players and draft our own players!

Has nothing to do with the Oilers.

Has everything to do with the recurring fantasy of many CDC'ers that Raymond, Ballard and a third will get the Canucks almost any top prospect in the league.

Not likely to deal us Puljujarvi, but I could see something like this:

EDM: Tanev and a 2nd Round Pick

VAN: Puljujarvi and Fayne

Even that's probably not enough. That said, I would drool at the thought of a Dahlen, Pettersson, Puljujarvi first line... oh buddy lol

58 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

Not really.  If Methot were 24yrs old, the trade would have been ++++ better.

There were factors that led to the Hall trade too. If people want to use the Hall trade as an indication of what a player is worth (without taking the underlining factors into consideration) then it's totally fair to use the Methot trade to counter it. Personally I don't think either trade is an accurate indicator of what the market truly is. 

3 hours ago, Fateless said:

How does Gudbranson get us JP? JP is a 4th OA pick one year removed from being drafted. Sure, he didn't have a fantastic season, but why would the Oilers give him up for a #4/#5 guy D that had a pretty bad start to last season plus a big injury?

If you want Gudbranson to get JP, you'll have to add a bunch of picks and a 2nd isn't going to cut it.

Well Guddy is a #3 pick OA and why wouldn't he and a 2nd fetch JP?

4 minutes ago, Sbriggs said:

Well Guddy is a #3 pick OA and why wouldn't he and a 2nd fetch JP?

For the same reason no one would argue that the Yakupov, a former 1st OA in 2012, would not be enough to get JP. Players decline. Player's don't live up to their potential.

Gudbranson was drafted as a #3 OA seven years ago and has steadily declined since. The guy's numbers weren't very good this year and he's coming off a big injury.

JP is coming off one mediocre season (not even bad, just nothing stellar) and is only 12 months removed from being a #4 OA pick. JP has far more upside in him than Gudbranson does now. A second round pick doesn't make-up for how far Gudbranson has fallen since he was drafted.

Archived