The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Acquiring Jesse Puljujärvi

On 04/07/2017 at 5:02 PM, Fateless said:

How does Gudbranson get us JP? JP is a 4th OA pick one year removed from being drafted. Sure, he didn't have a fantastic season, but why would the Oilers give him up for a #4/#5 guy D that had a pretty bad start to last season plus a big injury?

If you want Gudbranson to get JP, you'll have to add a bunch of picks and a 2nd isn't going to cut it.

Gudbranson was a #3.. so in reality the Oilers are making out like dogs if we're talking about draft positions. 

Tanev for Puljujarvi makes more sense IMO

2 hours ago, Hortankin said:

Gudbranson was a #3.. so in reality the Oilers are making out like dogs if we're talking about draft positions. 

Tanev for Puljujarvi makes more sense IMO

At this point I am starting to think you are trying to troll people. Faceless gave a perfectly good response at to why Gudbranson's value has dropped from being drafted 7 years ago and why JP's would still be decent a year after being drafted. Then you post this.

He clearly wasn't judging Gudbranson on his draft position. He valued Gud on his sub par play and injury issues. He valued JP on his draft position because he's only a year removed from being drafted and that makes sense

1 hour ago, HockeydownUnder said:

At this point I am starting to think you are trying to troll people. Faceless gave a perfectly good response at to why Gudbranson's value has dropped from being drafted 7 years ago and why JP's would still be decent a year after being drafted. Then you post this.

He clearly wasn't judging Gudbranson on his draft position. He valued Gud on his sub par play and injury issues. He valued JP on his draft position because he's only a year removed from being drafted and that makes sense

There's a reason JP didn't make the team. Sub part play. Gudbranson was a solid top 4 Dman until he came here, now he's apparently a #5 at best.

I'm sick of people hyping other teams prospect and $&!#ting on ours. It's really ridiculous

Virtanen is only 2 years out of his draft year and he's a 6th OA pick and people call him a bust.

It would probably be kind of a massive deal if anything.

Sutter+Tanev+Goldobin/Virtanen+ maybe a pick(2nd or 3rd) for RNH+JP+Fayne+ maybe one of their D prospects C.Jones/Bear. We probably would have to retain salary as well.

Oilers would improve defensively by a lot and would have a deep D-core for a season. Oilers would definitely have to trade Sekera when his NTC kicks in in 18-19. Either Virtanen or Goldobin could blend well with their forward group. They'd shed some unwanted contracts for more reasonable contracts while lowering their cap.

Downside for them is that they lose a bunch of potential and we could end up with the best player in the deal in the long term.

We'd lose a decent prospect but would gain a pretty good one in JP. RNH would be a risk that could or could not pay off and if he did it would be huge, top 6 fwd. If we added E.Bear/C.Jones then that would be a pretty decent D prospect, probably the best one in our pool behind Juolevi. Fayne is a cap dump that could net us assets at TD.

Downside for us is that we take a hit defensively, take RNH's badonkadonk contract and probably have to eat cap on one of Tanev/Sutter. We'd be a run and gun team for sure though. Thankfully our high end young guys are still on ELC besides Bo and the Sedins contracts expire next year.

Would be interesting to see.

Sedin-Sedin-Granlund/Eriksson

Baer-Horvat-???

Gagner-RNH-??? put JP there you got Oiler rejects line xD

???-???-???

Soft af in the short term but we have the players to transition out of Sedin era moving forward.

This ain't gonna happen though.

8 hours ago, Hortankin said:

There's a reason JP didn't make the team. Sub part play. Gudbranson was a solid top 4 Dman until he came here, now he's apparently a #5 at best.

I'm sick of people hyping other teams prospect and $&!#ting on ours. It's really ridiculous

Virtanen is only 2 years out of his draft year and he's a 6th OA pick and people call him a bust.

Virtanen was drafted 3 years ago in the 2014 draft 6 overall in a draft that that was considered not as strong as the 2016 draft. He was also considered to be a bit of an odd pick but Benning liked what he saw and he was a local boy to boot. Virtanen is still 3 years away from being considered a bust. I can see him panning out like David Booth, hopefully without the injuries.

We don't know what we have in Gudbranson because of injuries and a poor start on a new team. It is no where near the potential that JP has though and to compare the two is laughable. Even if Gudbranson was playing at a #4 level it still would not get you JP. And yes since Gudbranson has arrived he's been a #5 at best.

Zero chance of this.  

1.  After this year, the Oilers will have cap issues with McJesus' extension.  JP will help with that.  Gudbranson becoming a UFA this year does the exact opposite.

2.  JP for the one year contract of Gudbranson isn't even in the ballpark close for valuation.  Who did we trade to get Gudbranson......McCann.  Now after a disappointing, injury riddled year he gets us JP.  

1 hour ago, flickyoursedin said:

Vegas has like 12 dmen on 1 way contracts. Not a lot of power in trading when teams know you have to trade players.

My point was that every trade has its own circumstances. Some posters live and die on the "Larrson got Hall" arguement when discussing Tanev's trade value. When in fact that trade has as much barring on Tanev's value as what Vegas got for Methot. Neither are an accurate measure of what a team is likely to give up for him. 

IMO you trade whatever is necessary to get JP, this team isn't going anywhere for the next 3+ years.

He didn't play in Edmonton because he isn't Maroon or Lucic like. Who would they have sat out? Eberle? Draisaitl?

I would not have a problem with giving up a "potential" in a first draft pick next year for him.

6'4" 220 at 19 and can play both center and wing? Almost a point per game in the AHL at 18? On a bad AHL team. Laine talked about him being the most ripped and dedicated physically fit player he ever played with. MVP in two tourneys and was talked about as a contender for #1 in a very good draft year.

Get him while you can, Edmonton will need cap relief, another top 4 defence man or a Virtanen type player.

What difference to the Canucks how good that makes Edmonton? The Canucks will not be competing for the cup for the next 6 years or more.

Give them Tanev, Virtanen and a couple of draft picks, our draft picks don't make the show for years anyway at least this kid could be matched with Horvat for marketing and give the fans mucho enthusiasm for improvement.

He would be here for the next 10+ years and if he is a dud, well the team isn't on the cusp anyway and he is a much better prospect than any undrafted player out there now.

Sell the farm.

MAKE A DEAL, MAKE IT, leak to the press the much is being offered like was done in the original Luongo trade, Luongo for crazy legs.

Of course there could also be a multiple deal,

JP, Draisatl and salary dump 

for

Horvat, Tanev and either Virtanen/OJ plus a draft pick, 2nd round maybe?

On 2017-07-04 at 1:04 PM, canuckmen84 said:

Oilers need a cheap guy like Puljujarvi (Poo party) in their line up especially after Mcdavid (Mcpoops) and Draisaitls (Draispoodpants) sign their Oiler for life contracts.

I don't understand the obsession with people wanting to acquire Edmonton Oilers players, yes they are good but they are rivals.

keep our own players and draft our own players!

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎7‎/‎19‎/‎2017 at 1:17 PM, BO_Scorvat said:

Well since we're talking about the 2016 draft, does anyone think it's possible we could get Dubois from Columbus? I feel like they might be in a win now mode but I don't know if we have the assets for him 

Dubois is not in the same category as JP, JP carried his national team against the best in the world when younger than most other players and won the MVP as well.

He won't hurt but IMO he is at best 2nd line material.

5 hours ago, TheGuardian_ said:

Dubois is not in the same category as JP, JP carried his national team against the best in the world when younger than most other players and won the MVP as well.

He won't hurt but IMO he is at best 2nd line material.

I agree with you on this notion (funny I don't agree with your comments usually). That being said I wouldn't sell the farm. A Horvat + Tanev + Juolevi + pick deal would be a ridiculous over payment and set the Canucks rebuild far behind. Horvat alone would more than fair value wise and I wouldn't be willing to make that deal unless Edmonton sweetened it.

I actually thought higher of JP compared to Matthews and Laine at the draft. I have since changed my mind but I still think it's possible he ends up having the best career of them, albeit that chance is pretty remote. His point totals last season were far from spectacular but he played on a really crummy team the first half of the year. He reminds me of Jagr with how strong he is on the puck and his ability to retrieve pucks in the corners. Also they both sometimes flash a rather goofy smile.

On July 4, 2017 at 1:04 PM, canuckmen84 said:

Oilers need a cheap guy like Puljujarvi (Poo party) in their line up especially after Mcdavid (Mcpoops) and Draisaitls (Draispoodpants) sign their Oiler for life contracts.

I don't understand the obsession with people wanting to acquire Edmonton Oilers players, yes they are good but they are rivals.

keep our own players and draft our own players!

How old are you?

On 7/4/2017 at 0:58 PM, S'all Good Man said:

They're going to need JPs cheap salary for the next couple of years tho... so we'd have to take back an anchor like Fayne in the deal. So if it was something like Guddy for Fayne and JP but even then I don't think they'd do it, EDM tends not to do the right things on D. 

I would trade Tanev for Puljujarvi 

Archived