The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Elias Pettersson 3 Goals in scrimmage

30 minutes ago, PunjabiCanucks said:

As much as I'm excited for Petterrson, Gaudette gave me equally a good impression. 

Petterrson / Horvat/ Gaudette - could pan out to be a good C's in our 3 lines

Ya really liked Gaudettes game I think ill do a video of his goals as well. Tomorrow watch out!

1 hour ago, PunjabiCanucks said:

As much as I'm excited for Petterrson, Gaudette gave me equally a good impression. 

Petterrson / Horvat/ Gaudette - could pan out to be a good C's in our 3 lines

I had Gaudette as my first star, Chatfield as my second star and Pettersson as my third star.

But Pettersson is two years younger than both those guys and should make a lot of progress in the next two years. It is still early but I definitely have Pettersson as the top Canuck prospect right now. No guarantees of course, but he looks like the kind of guy who could be a genuine 1C on a good team, and I have not felt that way about a Canuck draft pick or prospect for a very long time. Benning has made some other good picks, but Pettersson is my favorite pick so far. (I am pretty sure I would have liked Glass, also. The Canucks had two very good options at #5 overall this year.)

Gaudette obviously had a very good game tonight -- high intensity all the time, strong at both of the ice, and he scored two nice goals. But he does not have the same potential as Pettersson. Despite being two years older, he is not nearly as good a skater and not nearly as good with the puck. Still, playing a high energy game, he looks  likely to be a solid bottom 6 NHL player and that is excellent for a 5th round pick. 3C might be a stretch but I could certainly see him at 4C or as a 3rd line winger.

This is all very speculative, of course, but that is how things look right now. Certainly this is a much better development camp than we have seen in a very long time.

28 minutes ago, JamesB said:

I had Gaudette as my first star, Chatfield as my second star and Pettersson as my third star.

But Pettersson is two years younger than both those guys and should make a lot of progress in the next two years. It is still early but I definitely have Pettersson as the top Canuck prospect right now. No guarantees of course, but he looks like the kind of guy who could be a genuine 1C on a good team, and I have not felt that way about a Canuck draft pick or prospect for a very long time. Benning has made some other good picks, but Pettersson is my favorite pick so far. (I am pretty sure I would have liked Glass, also. The Canucks had two very good options at #5 overall this year.)

Gaudette obviously had a very good game tonight -- high intensity all the time, strong at both of the ice, and he scored two nice goals. But he does not have the same potential as Pettersson. Despite being two years older, he is not nearly as good a skater and not nearly as good with the puck. Still, playing a high energy game, he looks  likely to be a solid bottom 6 NHL player and that is excellent for a 5th round pick. 3C might be a stretch but I could certainly see him at 4C or as a 3rd line winger.

This is all very speculative, of course, but that is how things look right now. Certainly this is a much better development camp than we have seen in a very long time.

Sigh, remember when we were all this high on Cassels? I hope he can get back on track, also hope Gaudette continues his strong play from this year into next.

2 hours ago, Glory_Days said:

Sigh, remember when we were all this high on Cassels? I hope he can get back on track, also hope Gaudette continues his strong play from this year into next.

Believe in the Cole. 

Like I said before you don't shutdown McDavid and can't find a spot in the NHL 

Summer Showdown: Gaudette’s complete game steals spotlight from slick Swedes

Published: July 6, 2017 

Updated:July 6, 2017 9:45 PM PDT 

Filed Under:

VANCOUVER. July 06 2017. Adam Gaudette ( L ) shoots past Simon Chen ( R ) as they play  in the Canucks Summer Showdown Top Prospect game at Rogers Arena  Vancouver, July 06 2017.  Gerry Kahrmann  /  PNG staff photo) ( Prov / Sun News ) 00049861A Story by Nick Eagland [PNG Merlin Archive] Gerry Kahrmann, PNG

Adam Gaudette (left) showed off a strong two-way game in the Canucks Summer Showdown top prospects game on Thursday.Gerry Kahrmann / PNG

Under normal circumstances, collegiate sniper Adam Gaudette would have had top pre-game billing Thursday night at Rogers Arena.

However, these are not normal times. Especially when you’re trying to impress Canucks season-ticket holders with a sneak peek at a future dynamic duo via the Summer Showdown showcase of top prospects to conclude development camp.

This is a time of hope and faith and dreaming of how a pair of slick Swedes not named Sedin — namely centre Elias Pettersson and winger Jonathan Dahlen — will one day propel the Vancouver Canucks back to National Hockey League prominence. Well, at least back to a more competitive presence in the tough Pacific Division.

And that’s not to take anything away from Gaudette.

He was easily the most complete player Thursday and also scored twice as his Blues fell 5-3 to the Whites before more than 5,000 faithful followers. Gaudette had it going in 5-on-5 play in the first period and scored twice off the rush in 3-on-3 play in the third.

Gaudette was flanked by Griffen Molino and Michael Carcone on the game’s most dominant trio, and the centre was noticeable in all three zones. He was the only one forechecking aggressively with a physical presence and he set up Molino for a scoring chance.

Gaudette also dropped Pettersson with a shoulder check behind the net during 4-on-4 play in the second period. Pettersson shook it off and scored twice to tease of future greatness.

top-prospec581.jpg?quality=60&strip=all

Elias Pettersson moves the puck in the Canucks Summer Showdown Top Prospect game at Rogers Arena Vancouver, July 06 2017.Gerry Kahrmann /  PNG

“We were getting matched up with the two Swedes and I think we did a pretty good job overall,” said Gaudette. “He (Pettersson) is definitely a higher pick than me, but I definitely wanted to show that I can compete at the level he’s competing at because we’re battling for the same spot.

“I wanted to show everybody that I can play at the same pace that he can.”

Gaudette, a fifth-round 2015 draft pick, finished ninth in NCAA scoring last season with 26 goals in 37 games for Northeastern despite a late-season wrist injury. That feat included 16 power-play goals, tied for second overall, on a high-octane special-teams line with Zach Aston-Reese, who tied for the national lead in scoring with 63 points. Anton-Reese then signed a two-year, free-agent deal with Pittsburgh.

Gaudette’s strong sophomore ascension had the Canucks toying with signing the 20-year-old Braintree, Mass., native and putting his pro development on fast forward. However, he’s returning for a third season to build his game and his 6-1, 184-pound frame. It’s all part of the franchise rebuilding focus.

“I need to mature a little bit physically and get a little bit faster,” added Gaudette. “It’s the right move to help me make the jump to the next level, and last year was definitely a huge confidence booster and it’s easier to play like that and put up numbers.

“They (Canucks) fully support my decision to go back and develop and I’ll be excited to get here eventually. I have to keep playing a 200-foot game and be physical and hard to play against. I definitely need to work on my skating and smooth it out a little more — sometimes it gets a little choppy — and keep it going.”

As for Pettersson and Dahlen, keeping it going beyond this camp as possible linemates next season with the Vaxjo Lakers of the Swedish Elite League has everyone salivating.

After all, they held their own last season playing against men in the second-tier Allsvenskan — Dahlen amassing 25 goals and 19 assists in 45 games and Pettersson adding 19 goals and 21 assists in 43 games — and seeing what playmaking magic they could manufacture Thursday was the drawing card.

They didn’t dominate but they did tease of future potential.

Pettersson showed off some smooth finish in the second period, taking an Aaron Irving feed in the slot and calmly going backhand to forehand. He then did a double dangle in tight in the third period and calmly deposited the puck. Dahlen was thwarted on a partial breakaway off a backhand attempt.

“I was looking forward to playing this game all week and I was a little nervous,” said Pettersson. “I just tried to play with instincts and be creative with the puck and not throw it away.

“Whatever comes to my mind first, I go with that. I try not to think because if you do, you lose the puck and make it hard for yourself.”

Pettersson wasn’t surprised that he also took a lick from Gaudette.

“It was intense and everybody is trying to show what they can do and he had a good game,” said Pettersson. “I liked the 3-on-3, but that’s the hardest on the body and it’s tough to play that. But I just like to be on the ice.”

Why wouldn't CDC have been crazy about Cassels? In the Memorial Cup he goes up against "the chosen one", does really well, plays hurt and defends against him. 

Who knew the injury would sidetrack his career? There's nothing wrong with hope. We just have to temper our expectations, and remember every prospects development path isn't linear. 

Expect the worst, hope for the best. Just don't assume every prospect will be a boom or bust depending on your point of view. Enjoy the moment and remember these are just kids. But with EP there's justification because the skill is there. It's just going to take time to fill out and get stronger. 

9 hours ago, JamesB said:

That was my thoughts as well . Gaudette and Pettersson really met my expectations but I was really surprised with Chatfield, he skates real well moves the puck well and jumps into plays off the rush, dare i say he reminded me of the way Karlsson plays :P

Chatfield could have a bright future with the right development!

8 hours ago, Glory_Days said:

You are right about the possible parallel between Cassels and Gaudette. Cassels had a great final year in Junior and was similar to Gaudette in that, at the Junior level, he was excellent defensively (including holding his own against McDavid), was very good offensively, and played with grit and toughness. And both guys were close to making the US  WJC team but did not quite make it. But Cassels' game has not translated into a strong game at the AHL level, let alone in the NHL. He will have to make significant progress this season just to be a good AHL player. 

One difference is that the NCAA does have older players than the OHL and is regarded as a slightly harder place to score than the CHL. And Gaudette's performance last night, admittedly a very small sample, shows he can play well against high end competition. Another positive is that Gaudette continued to make rapid progress in his game as a 20 year old, whereas Cassels did not. And he is slightly bigger. Also, Cassels never seemed to get on track after suffering an abdominal injury and playing through it at the end of his final year in Junior. His gutsy play helped Oshawa win the Memorial Cup, but that did seem to set him back and may have had some lasting effect on his skating.

So, while the Cassels example is a warning, I think realistic expectations for Gaudette are quite a lot better.

6 hours ago, JamesB said:

You are right about the possible parallel between Cassels and Gaudette. Cassels had a great final year in Junior and was similar to Gaudette in that, at the Junior level, he was excellent defensively (including holding his own against McDavid), was very good offensively, and played with grit and toughness. And both guys were close to making the US  WJC team but did not quite make it. But Cassels' game has not translated into a strong game at the AHL level, let alone in the NHL. He will have to make significant progress this season just to be a good AHL player. 

One difference is that the NCAA does have older players than the OHL and is regarded as a slightly harder place to score than the CHL. And Gaudette's performance last night, admittedly a very small sample, shows he can play well against high end competition. Another positive is that Gaudette continued to make rapid progress in his game as a 20 year old, whereas Cassels did not. And he is slightly bigger. Also, Cassels never seemed to get on track after suffering an abdominal injury and playing through it at the end of his final year in Junior. His gutsy play helped Oshawa win the Memorial Cup, but that did seem to set him back and may have had some lasting effect on his skating.

So, while the Cassels example is a warning, I think realistic expectations for Gaudette are quite a lot better.

I agree, I was more making the comparison of the two cause, both were later round draft picks, they weren't on the radar (at least a lot) when they were drafted, had great +1 & 2 draft years and both were/are expected to be a very good bottom six contributor.

Gaudette has excelled so far playing against older competition and hasn't had an injury (as far as I know) hinder his progress. There are similarities between the two, but also differences.

Archived