The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Baseball's Gretzky

Hortankin

#99 Aaron Judge

As a Yankee fan I am over the moon exited about this kid. He's breaking rookie record dating way back in the 1930's. His number is a well known number and it leads to my question...

Is Judge the Gretzky of Baseball?

1 hour ago, kanucks25 said:

Yeah. A guy who has played half a season is the same as the consensus greatest of all time.

Exactly.

People compare McDavid to Gretzky and he's only play 1.5 seasons.

Judge is in a league of his own and I can't think of any rookie to have such an impact in baseball. 

He's a rookie and he's a major consideration for AL MVP and a possible triple crown. It may only be half a season but No1 in baseball history (to my knowledge) had such a terrific start to their career.

16 minutes ago, Hortankin said:

People compare McDavid to Gretzky and he's only play 1.5 seasons.

Judge is in a league of his own and I can't think of any rookie to have such an impact in baseball. 

He's a rookie and he's a major consideration for AL MVP and a possible triple crown. It may only be half a season but No1 in baseball history (to my knowledge) had such a terrific start to their career.

Judge looks like he'll be a star for many years, but just to put things into perspective, back in 1975 Fred Lynn won the Rookie of the Year and the MVP in the same season, with a very "Judge-like" year. (He didn't have the kind of power that AJ has, but he was much better defensively, winning a Gold Glove in addition to the other two awards)

Die hard baseball fans and people in Boston will know who Fred Lynn is, but he's hardly a household word. Even in Beantown, the Fans would have him ranked behind the likes of Papi, Yaz and the greatest Red Sox of all time, Ted Williams.

Judge looks fantastic right now, but it's far too early for the Gretzky comparison. Also, I think it's only a matter of time before the Yankees convert him to 1B....

It would be like Judge playing T-ball or having pitcher after pitcher serving up 80mph meatballs right down the middle and using those offensive numbers to justify being the greatest, that's what Gretzky's records are like.  Would Gretzky even make it in todays NHL? The NHL has evolved so much these past two decades with composite sticks and goalies literally twice the size as their predecessors that I doubt it. 

Judge is also 25 years old.  People don't bring that up enough when they laud the fact that he's still a rookie.  Many of the top notch players in the MLB have been in the league for yeeeears at that point.  He's having himself a heck of a year, but the most Gretzky-like thing about him so far is that he wears #99.

Mike Trout is only 8 months older than Judge, and he's been in the league for over 5 seasons.  His MVP season last year he was playing at the same age Judge is now, and he already had an MVP under his belt at that point.  If anyone in the MLB is "baseballs Gretzky" right now it is Trout (or maybe Miguel Cabrera) but that is still a lofty comparison for both of them.

Ichiro Suzuki won AL MVP in his rookie season. Can't really compare him to Judge as they are different players with different skill sets.

Ichiro's game was/is about being a hitting machine, stealing bases and immaculate defense 

Ichiro's rookie year = 8 HR, 69 RBI, 56 steals, .350 BA,   rookie of the year, MVP, Gold glove, silver slugger. all star

Honorable mention goes to Albert Pujols.

Albert Pujols rookie year 37 HR, 130 RBI, .329 BA.  Rookie of the year, All star, 4th in MVP, silver slugger

If I had to award AL MVP right now I'd have to give it to Judge. At 6'7" and 282 lbs he makes Frank Thomas look like a skinny midget.

It's odd he's never put up these kinds of numbers at any level of the minors prior to this year in the majors.

10 hours ago, Hortankin said:

#99 Aaron Judge

As a Yankee fan I am over the moon exited about this kid. He's breaking rookie record dating way back in the 1930's. His number is a well known number and it leads to my question...

Is Judge the Gretzky of Baseball?

Wait till you see Gleyber Torres...

7 hours ago, nuckin_futz said:

It's odd he's never put up these kinds of numbers at any level of the minors prior to this year in the majors.

Probably due to the fact that it's a lot easier to hit it out of Yankee Stadium than most minor league ball parks.

On 7/7/2017 at 7:19 AM, Ghostsof1915 said:

Dave Righetti AL Rookie of the Year in 1981. A lot of hype for the guy who eventually converted to relief pitcher, then closer in 1984. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Major_League_Baseball_Rookie_of_the_Year_Award

Success in Baseball can be fleeting. ^^^ Kudos for remembering Fred Lynn. 

Easy for me. I was a Red Sox fan before the Jays joined MLB. Fred Lynn is still my all-time favorite player. (Just sightly ahead of Robbie Alomar)

12 hours ago, TheHitman said:

Judge is overrated af and is going to get pixked apart next season. Look at how Osuna handled him a few games back.

ALL RISE

First ever rookie to win the HR derby baby.

Aarons Judge is going to become the GOAT :)

Just now, TheHitman said:

Questionable victory, Sano got no help from his  pitching. HR derby doesn't matter much anyways.

No it doesn't but being the first rookie to ever win it has to count for something.. it's not just the home run derby.. he's been lighting up the league since day 1.

A rookie who leads the MLB in HR

Legit shot at triple crown

Broke a Yankee rookie records for HRs that was held for almost a century, in half the games I might add

Judge is going to be the GOAT

I bet he hits 60 HR this year

Archived