The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

OMG Wildfire?

48 minutes ago, Cerridwen said:

:(  Having spent months wondering when the evac order would come for us here in BC, I am heartsick for those having to deal with the wildfires in Los Angeles. It's a horrible, horrible situation to be in.

Yep, pretty crazy.  I didn't knock on wood hard enough, as I was telling my boss (who works in another state) that I was in clear, because Huntington Beach never gets hit with this and it's always the same ol areas (Valley, Ventura, north OC, etc.), and this morning one started less than a mile away from me.  Fortunately, they got it under control quickly.  I sure don't envy those people in/near the Valley, as they typically bear the brunt of this, as those clips show.

I love windy days.  Growing up in the Lower Mainland, those windy days after it has rained forever are amazing.  I thought when I moved here I would like the Santa Ana winds, but they are something else entirely.  Dry, dirty, and goes on for days.  Blech.  I'm just glad I don't deal with allergies like many others do.

• 7 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Kids are at Loon Lake right now....say the smoke is so bad you can't see across the lake.  They went canoeing yesterday and said it was eerie with the orange glow and silence.  I'm hearing some reports that there are strong suspicions of an arsonist at work.  If so, jail for life should be in order.

25 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

Kids are at Loon Lake right now....say the smoke is so bad you can't see across the lake.  They went canoeing yesterday and said it was eerie with the orange glow and silence.  I'm hearing some reports that there are strong suspicions of an arsonist at work.  If so, jail for life should be in order.

....in a cell with a busted AC unit and the heat cranked up.

6 hours ago, debluvscanucks said:

I don't know were loon lake is Deb, but I can guarantee you that the southern Okanagan is under assault..  by smoke. It's f'n disgusting. 

Talked to my mom in PG and she said it was so bad that it looked like midnight...at 4 PM.

Are you guys getting the drift in the City?

4 hours ago, Canorth said:

The smoke in Penticton is far beyond tolerable. 

F'n claustrophobic. ..

The picture uploaded is suppose to be an otherwise sunny  30 degree Okanagan day.

15346170350711452295667.jpg

It kind of looks like winter, with the valley cloud.  Theses fires, and the resulting horrible smoke is terrible.  I really don’t know of a solution.  

Although we don't have any fires close enough to cause concern we have a lot of smoke in the air. Visibility is about half a kilometer and its affecting a lot of wildlife in the area. When I got home from work Thursday I had a little brown bat that was hanging off my kitchen blinds. Had to evict the little guy cause he wouldn't stop hissing at me....

7 hours ago, riffraff said:

....in a cell with a busted AC unit and the heat cranked up.

and 4 to a room... smoking allowed........  with the other 3 being chain smokers.....

seriously.... i thought last summer was record fires...

Can this summer even be worse ??   

4 hours ago, Canorth said:

I don't know were loon lake is Deb, but I can guarantee you that the southern Okanagan is under assault..  by smoke. It's f'n disgusting. 

Talked to my mom in PG and she said it was so bad that it looked like midnight...at 4 PM.

Are you guys getting the drift in the City?

It hasn't been too bad here.  I mean, in comparison to there.  It's hazy and it's that weird orange glow for a sun but bearable.  I've stayed in the past few days though...no biking or swimming in the outdoor pool.

1 hour ago, smithers joe said:

we're getting evacuees from the fires, here in smithers today. my son says from prince george to houston is on fire. houston is only 45 miles from smithers. if we catch on fire, i'll have to go stay with chon in rupert.

I got a haida bed for you.

Archived