The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

OMG Wildfire?

3 hours ago, Swedish elite3 said:

If in fact 100 mile is under evacuation order now highway 24 is still open thru little fort (even though they have 2 raging fires as well) I have one of my buddies working for the forestry in 100 mile, he says no one has been evacuated as of yet in 100 mile. Only the 105 and 108 communities 

I thought 24 was closed

Every year this happens and every year I wonder if the government is doing enough preventative maintainence and preparation.

My best wishes and hopes for those in fear for their lives, property and way of life.

3 hours ago, gurn said:

Every year this happens and every year I wonder if the government is doing enough preventative maintainence and preparation.

My best wishes and hopes for those in fear for their lives, property and way of life.

the only prevention we can do is let nature burn. weve stopped that from happening for over 100 years now and its all led to this. and its only going to get worse from this point on.

3 hours ago, gurn said:

At one time, they used to burn the slash as they called it, that sort of cut of the supply of fuel. Not sure if they still do.

Terrible what some BC residents are going through right now with the fires.

Really hope BC and Federal governments get the support services going and make sure everyone is OK .

BC'ers are tough and i am sure everyone will get through this.  Hopefully our lower mainland communities can start getting some donation ( money ) and any needed supplies in place to help people. 

#bcSTRONG

12 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

Terrible what some BC residents are going through right now with the fires.

Really hope BC and Federal governments get the support services going and make sure everyone is OK .

BC'ers are tough and i am sure everyone will get through this.  Hopefully our lower mainland communities can start getting some donation ( money ) and any needed supplies in place to help people. 

#bcSTRONG

The government has helped a little but locals have given up on them. So local logging companies have donated their equipment to try and help fight it.

My home area north of the cache creek area Loon lake has now been placed under evac alert and my families fishing resort at Hi Hium lake has been ordered to evacuate. Things are looking bad for the fire in that area. Extremely stressful being in kamloops and getting limited information on what's going on. The forestry hasn't been very informative unfortunately on what the situation is for that area. 

As for the 100 mile fire my buddy has been sent to the mill in 100 mile house to spark watch and make sure nothing happens at mill, Hopefully the fire isn't active tonight. Winds have picked up slightly in kamloops and the loon lake cache creek area

The federal government has announced it will help B.C. battle out-of-control wildfires sweeping through the province.

Ralph Goodale, federal minister of public safety and emergency preparedness, said he approved the provincial government's request for help on Sunday afternoon.

Federal Defence Minister Harjit Sajjan confirmed that the Canadian Forces are on standby.

Earlier in the afternoon, Premier Christy Clark — who was recently defeated in a confidence vote in the legislature — announced the province had created a $100-million relief fund to help those affected by the fires.

Clark and premier-designate John Horgan were both scheduled to travel to Kamloops to visit evacuees. Horgan will replace Clark when he is sworn in on July 18.

"The transition team for the incoming government has been briefed on the establishment of the fund," Clark said in a written statement.

http://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/canada/federal-government-stepping-in-to-help-bc-wildfire-fight/ar-BBE4jfh?li=AAggNb9

23 hours ago, nux4lyfe said:

Agree, removed by mod

I'm trying really hard to get a chuckle out of this but considering I'm in the process of trying to decide what to pack and what gets sacrificed to the fire is kinda sapping my funny bone of humour at the moment, no, this is decidedly NOT amusing in the slightest. Was hiking up on the top of Mt. Agnes when the storm hit that started the 3 fires on/at Isaac Lake necessitating the evacuation of paddlers on the Bowron Lake chain. Drove south home through ever increasing smoke in a yellowish grey haze only to find the evac orders and alerts have moved even closer..... and all I can think of  is "Holy $&!#, man........someone is getting a chuckle at the expense of people who have lost their homes and/or are about to."  I personally know of 4 different families now who have lost everything and I'm sitting here finalizing the evac plan with family and wondering if my house will still be here in a week.

2 hours ago, Cerridwen said:

I'm trying really hard to get a chuckle out of this but considering I'm in the process of trying to decide what to pack and what gets sacrificed to the fire is kinda sapping my funny bone of humour at the moment, no, this is decidedly NOT amusing in the slightest. Was hiking up on the top of Mt. Agnes when the storm hit that started the 3 fires on/at Isaac Lake necessitating the evacuation of paddlers on the Bowron Lake chain. Drove south home through ever increasing smoke in a yellowish grey haze only to find the evac orders and alerts have moved even closer..... and all I can think of  is "Holy $&!#, man........someone is getting a chuckle at the expense of people who have lost their homes and/or are about to."  I personally know of 4 different families now who have lost everything and I'm sitting here finalizing the evac plan with family and wondering if my house will still be here in a week.

good luck to you. Fortunately a lot of help and recovery $ has been announced but hopefully it doesn't have to get to that point for you. 

5 minutes ago, Standing_Tall#37 said:

Its awful, saw that the other night and just thought through my mind how anyone can even drive through a road with fire on either side of them.  But everything burning I guess you have no choice but to just drive and hope for the best.

Archived