The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

OMG Wildfire?

1 minute ago, trek said:

Not to be selfish or anything but any chance the smoke will blow in to the metro area like last year? That was very strange conditions as well afaik

If the weather continues as it has, there is a strong possibility of that happening.

Hoping the Princeton fire gets under control soon my parents have a place in Osoyoos. 

As well Hope all the fires get a good wash of rain soon this season seems to be hitting a lot of people close to home, just brutal

it would be a bit easier to accept if most werent likely caused by human negligence! I will be donating to the red cross for the first time and will likely do so more in the future. BCers gotta stick together

Looking like no rain in sight for at least a week or more which is bad news for us in the okanagan. Fires are going to start popping up here. Another new fire in Hedley, 30 minutes east of Princeton. Hoping hwy 3 stays open as i have to head down to the coast on wednesday. 

http://www.bcwildfire.ca/Situation/interactive-maps.htm

2 hours ago, Warhippy said:

Just really want to say

If you're using this issue to take pot shots in an attempt to score political points.  If you're using this to somehow make the plight of rural BC or urban BC seem more of an issue or you're just trolling.

GTFO

This affects all of us, WE are BC, I've worked hand in hand with the BC forestry service shooting and filming fires for the last 3 years in the Okanagan and Similkameen areas.  We know what the issues are.  But sitting behind a screen taking jabs is childish and stupid.

Pony up a dollar for every stupid and divisive thing you say for fire relief and for the refugees affected by it.  By days end I promise you'll realize how little it helps anyone.

I've been talking to folks in and around Princeton since Friday, that one is out of control. The loggers are hauling equipment in and out of fire lines. Farmers and ranchers are helping each other out. That's what we do!  We lose the interior forestry wise, we're in deep dooo!

My ex has a place at Loon Lake...spends a good deal of his time there.  I hear it's moving into that area (Hihium), so really hoping they get this contained.

With that, I am disgusted by the idiots who don't take "fire season" seriously and am outraged at "human caused" fires.  Seriously?  Do these people have such little regard that they don't act responsibly? 

I still see morons throw cigarettes out the window all the time...I want to punch them in the throat.

My thoughts always go beyond those affected by the fires, to include the wildlife.  So terribly sad.  If you smoke or have fires, don't be a doorknob.  Extinguish all embers and wait a good deal of time to make sure.  Or I will pyitt.

24 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

My ex has a place at Loon Lake...spends a good deal of his time there.  I hear it's moving into that area (Hihium), so really hoping they get this contained.

With that, I am disgusted by the idiots who don't take "fire season" seriously and am outraged at "human caused" fires.  Seriously?  Do these people have such little regard that they don't act responsibly? 

I still see morons throw cigarettes out the window all the time...I want to punch them in the throat.

My thoughts always go beyond those affected by the fires, to include the wildlife.  So terribly sad.  If you smoke or have fires, don't be a doorknob.  Extinguish all embers and wait a good deal of time to make sure.  Or I will pyitt.

A fb friend of mine was walking through an open Provincial Campsite, no smoking signs all around. Smoking in their spots. Yet these folks think it doesn't apply to them. I'm from Princeton, and all my cousins and their kids are loggers or work at the mill. Many of my old school chums are also ranchers or have small hobby farms. They're living on pins and needles.

3 hours ago, trek said:

Not to be selfish or anything but any chance the smoke will blow in to the metro area like last year? That was very strange conditions as well afaik

Pretty sure this was in 2015. But it may have happened in 2016 as well.

46 minutes ago, johngould21 said:

A fb friend of mine was walking through an open Provincial Campsite, no smoking signs all around. Smoking in their spots. Yet these folks think it doesn't apply to them. I'm from Princeton, and all my cousins and their kids are loggers or work at the mill. Many of my old school chums are also ranchers or have small hobby farms. They're living on pins and needles.

Unreal. I hope your friend gave them hell with both barrels. That is beyond ignorant and selfish that those jackasses would smoke at a campsite.

Indonesia

Siberia

California, Oregon, Colorado, Tennessee, etc...

Couple wks back in Portugal, dozens were killed as they tried to flee horrific mtn fires. All around the globe, floods & fire are taking from people all that they have.

Media under-reports. Most populations roll on, oblivious to what's going down. We only run around in a tizzy, AFTER it hits close to home. How many times have I raised environmental issues to find perhaps 99% of those one talks with, don't seem to give a shyte?

How much $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ have TPTB(mostly energy giants) filtered into the denialist-culture that pervasively infected our societies?

We're well into a new era of serious consequences.

16 minutes ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

Indonesia

Siberia

California, Oregon, Colorado, Tennessee, etc...

Couple wks back in Portugal, dozens were killed as they tried to flee horrific mtn fires. All around the globe, floods & fire are taking from people all that they have.

Media under-reports. Most populations roll on, oblivious to what's going down. We only run around in a tizzy, AFTER it hits close to home. How many times have I raised environmental issues to find perhaps 99% of those one talks with, don't seem to give a shyte?

How much $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ have TPTB(mostly energy giants) filtered into the denialist-culture that pervasively infected our societies?

We're well into a new era of serious consequences.

Collective action is needed but too many people just either don't believe/understand it or don't want to believe it because they can't stand being told what to do.  Collective action is also easier to achieve when people are all facing the same problem across the world, think the World Wars.  The nature of the climate crisis, however, is scattered in times and places, splitting the focus necessary to achieve true critical mass for a mass movement.  Here's hoping I'm wrong, or a solution arises that will get people's butts into action without billions of lives being impacted.

1 minute ago, Wilbur said:

Collective action is needed but too many people just either don't believe/understand it or don't want to believe it because they can't stand being told what to do.  Collective action is also easier to achieve when people are all facing the same problem across the world, think the World Wars.  The nature of the climate crisis, however, is scattered in times and places, splitting the focus necessary to achieve true critical mass for a mass movement.  Here's hoping I'm wrong, or a solution arises that will get people's butts into action without billions of lives being impacted.

Yeah, it's all pretty reasonable, what you've stated. Complex problem, with a crap-load of diff agendas at work.

Can only wish everyones flees safely from this nightmare today. But we've all gotta acknowledge/be forewarned..there's plenty more in the pipeline.

6 hours ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Just to give you an idea of how big this is, I talked to my daughter in Prince George last night and they're already seeing "smog-like" conditions there. That's approximately 200 miles north of 100 mile House.

Good luck to all those affected.

Well in all honesty, there's a fair sized fire in hixon, one that's 2000+ hectares just on the south side of Quesnel and Williams lake is pretty much done for (at least the whole north side)  so if they keep going I'd imagine air quality will be crap for most of the province :( 

Archived