The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Raisin' hell and waving towels; Canucks '82 playoff run

gino#29

I remember that the run was so unexpected that when we lost, it was still like a victory. Very different from the next two.

A bunch of friends and I went to a concert a day or so after the loss. We were at the front and called the band back for several encores. We kept yelling but eventually the stage crew came out and told us the band had left. We all  started chanting "We're number two!!!, We're number two!!!"  all the way to our favourite local bar. It was a blast and a lot of fun. No rioting.

In 82, every team the Canucks beat they were ahead of in the standings and our Brodeur played very well. 12 years

In 94, when they finally got their $&!#e together, they were the biggest and one of the toughest teams in the league, Brown and MacLean put that stuff behind them, Bure got incredibly lucky he wasn't suspended for the hit on Chara, they'd ban him now, well maybe not ban but he would get half a season. They just ran over Dallas, those players were scared to touch the puck, TO, well that went well. Then they got Gregson, end of line. 12 years

2011, it is raw, questionable....everything.

Whatever idiot thought the masses outside would sit around and sing koombaya in a loss never played a sport in his life (mayor), any idiot should have known the potential boiling out there. Sure sit around with your buddies, pour a couple of 26er's down your throats, ladies have another bottle of screech? Even if they won the top would have blown off, maybe not as much but, the thing that happened couldn't have been planned better to happen. It didn't happen in the Olympics because it didn't have all that time and controversy to build up. And there were a bunch of other people out there doing other things. 17 years

6 hours ago, TheGuardian_ said:

In 82, every team the Canucks beat they were ahead of in the standings and our Brodeur played very well. 12 years

In 94, when they finally got their $&!#e together, they were the biggest and one of the toughest teams in the league, Brown and MacLean put that stuff behind them, Bure got incredibly lucky he wasn't suspended for the hit on Chara, they'd ban him now, well maybe not ban but he would get half a season. They just ran over Dallas, those players were scared to touch the puck, TO, well that went well. Then they got Gregson, end of line. 12 years

2011, it is raw, questionable....everything.

Whatever idiot thought the masses outside would sit around and sing koombaya in a loss never played a sport in his life (mayor), any idiot should have known the potential boiling out there. Sure sit around with your buddies, pour a couple of 26er's down your throats, ladies have another bottle of screech? Even if they won the top would have blown off, maybe not as much but, the thing that happened couldn't have been planned better to happen. It didn't happen in the Olympics because it didn't have all that time and controversy to build up. And there were a bunch of other people out there doing other things. 17 years

In 2011, every team the Canucks beat they were also ahead of in the standings.

I don't know why people use this to detract from the 1982 team.

16 hours ago, Salacious Crumb said:

In '82 I was 13 and hockey was everything - losing to the mighty Islanders was certain and we didn't care we still cheered/yelled at the tv until we were hoarse. It was awesome!

I thought the Canucks outplayed the Islanders in the first two games. Ultimately the Canuck d-core could not withstand the pressure. Sneps was great no matter the mistakes. King Richard was legendary. Fans should never forget his play. Vancouver was alive. 

8 hours ago, Boudrias said:

I thought the Canucks outplayed the Islanders in the first two games. Ultimately the Canuck d-core could not withstand the pressure. Sneps was great no matter the mistakes. King Richard was legendary. Fans should never forget his play. Vancouver was alive. 

Not having our Captain (ironically knocked out for the the rest of the season by his own teammate!) didn't help.  It's like going in unarmed against Rambo....

On 2017-07-08 at 0:20 PM, xereau said:

Waving the white flag of surrender was a bad idea.

It was directed at the officials initially. It became a rallying, team spirit thing by the end of it. Many people forget or ignore that part of it!!

10 minutes ago, RWMc1 said:

It was directed at the officials initially. It became a rallying, team spirit thing by the end of it. Many people forget or ignore that part of it!!

Still, a white flag of surrender is in solid bronze outside of the rink.  And people think its cute.  Now entire freaking arenas swirl their white flags.  I find it crazy, personally, for what it signifies in the end.  NEVER SURRENDER.

Archived