The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Raisin' hell and waving towels; Canucks '82 playoff run

gino#29

On 08/07/2017 at 0:24 PM, NewbieCanuckFan said:

I *STILL* wake up in the middle of the night & yell out "Why the **** did you have to pass the puck to Mike Bossy Harold!!!!!!!" :lol:

The Curse of Johnny Canuck. Lol.

Just like we all cried for Steamer for his missed breakaway vs Mike Vernon in '89, we all cried for Big Harold after that first game. He played great throughout the playoffs and even represented the Canucks in the '82 All-Star Game. 

I still feel that the Canucks could've won if King Richard had stayed in his crease when it was 5-4. Jim Nill could have had two conservative Game 1 game-winning goals. Loved his goal when he lured Billy Smith out as he slid the puck slowly into the open net. 

Thomas Gradin's play on the 3-2 goal in Game 2 was classic. 

Could've been a very long and interesting series.

**Sigh**

• -SN- changed the title to Raisin' hell and waving towels; Canucks '82 playoff run
On 2017-07-09 at 3:24 PM, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Not having our Captain (ironically knocked out for the the rest of the season by his own teammate!) didn't help.  It's like going in unarmed against Rambo....

Kevin McCarthy was a heck of a D-man.  One of the best we've ever had.

6 hours ago, Kevin Biestra said:

Kevin McCarthy was a heck of a D-man.  One of the best we've ever had.

Kevin Biestra, in all due respect to Smyl who I still feel is one of the greatest and classiest captains in club history, I still feel that McCarthy got a raw deal about giving up the captaincy. Unless he was willing to hand over the reigns to Steamer, I am curious whether or not he was consulted about giving up the captaincy. A fine leader and defenseman, he suffered a freak injury in practice and didn't get to enjoy that playoff run. Though the scoring improved the following year, the defense and goaltending regressed a lot more and McCarthy was traded to Pittsburgh during the '83-'84 season for peanuts. If Calgary could have co-captains in Lanny McDonald and Doug Reisbrough, why not have McCarthy and Smyl be co-captains?

Man... I wish I was around for that run. 

This yet again proved, why the Vancouver Canucks are the single most glorious and influential sporting franchises in the history of sports entertainment. 

We should sue everyone that copies the waving towels. In all sports.

On 11/07/2017 at 5:38 PM, skeena1 said:

Never heard of this. Can you explain and maybe supply a reference?

I came to that conclusion after Dan Cloutier's gaffe vs Nicolas Lidstrom. The Canucks' biggest mistake was not including Johnny Canuck in their identity, either as the main logo or as a shoulder patch with the Stick In Rink as the primary. 

1. It started with Black Tuesday, 1970, aka. the spinning of the number wheel vs expansion cousin Buffalo Sabres to draft first overall and pick future HOF centre Gilbert Perrault.

2. Draft picks either not panning out(Ron Sedlbauer & Jere Gillis) or getting traded and panning out into stars elsewhere(Rick Vaive & Cam Neely).

3. Untimely serious injuries(Captain Orland Kurtenbach in '70, Bill Derlago in his rookie year{Denis Potvin's deadly hip check}, King Richard being struck in the eardrum by Toronto's Dan Daoust's shot, Markus Naslund's broken leg in Buffalo, Mathias Ohlund and Manny Malhotra suffering serous eye injuries in practice. 

4. Harold Snepsts to, of ALL players, the deadliest pure goalscorer in the game, Mike Bossy, with just 2 seconds remaining in the first OT in Game 1 of '82 SC Final. 

5. '89 Smythe Division Semifinal vs Flames.

- a. Mike Vernon's "vacuum cleaner" glove in Game 7 overtime vs Smyl on Steamer's infamous breakaway and Tony Tanti's lazer shot from the face off circle.

- b. No replay on Joel Otto's kick in goal in the last minute of overtime. Flames go all the way in the balance of the playoffs and win the Cup.

6. '94 SC Final vs the Rangers.

- a. Bure's high sticking penalty and ejection in Game 3 after his 1-0 goal.

- b. Bure's missed penalty shot vs Mike Richter in Game 4.

- c. LaFayette's post instead of a game-tying 3-3 goal in Game 7. Rangers hold on and win their first Cup in 54 years.

7. Cloutier's gaffe vs Lidstrom in '02. Changes momentum in favour of Detroit, who come back to win the series.  Red Wings go all the way in the balance of the playoffs and win the Cup.

^

Honorable mention to that list...a few teams (Habs & Laffs who didn't want to share the TV revenue) essentially vetoed Vancouver's first real solid attempt to get a NHL franchise in the first major expansion (1967-68 season).  Who knows what may have been...

Remember in that first expansion, all the new teams were placed in one division (with the "original six" in the other division).  The playoff format was such that one team in the "expansion division" was GUARANTEED to make the Stanley Cup Finals (ie., reason by the St. Louis Blues made it to the Finals in their first year of existance).

On the other hand....maybe we dodged a bullet as Harold Barold was evidently one of the owners of the proposed downtown arena in Vancouver first bid to secure a NHL franchise.:P

Archived