The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Whats the difference between 4th overall and 14th?

Well, I guess the difference between 4th and 14th is Cale Makar and Cal Foote.

I always like to see the Canucks play hard and compete, even if they lose. Winning games gives the players confidence, and maybe they produce more of an effort. I think they'll do okay this coming season, but not good enough to be thinking playoffs. I'll guess a 10th OA pick, and I'm okay with that. Benning will still get a very good player at #10. Maybe he trades Tanev for another 1st rounder or turns the #10 into a top 3.  

15 hours ago, Aircool said:

Am I the only one who thinks that the way of thinking that has to underlie an opinion like this is extremely perverse? I don't mean to make this into a personal attack, but this is the kind of nonsense opinions and mentalities that so many on these forums have that if they were in charge of the Canucks front office, I don't even want to speculate.

Look mate, perhaps I should have started the post by saying it was completely tongue in cheek, but honestly I thought it was pretty obvious.  I've been a fan since the 70-71 season and have been a fan through thick and thin.  In the end, I'd like to see an environment where some of the good young picks get some ice time in the NHL and develop in a competitive environment, but I'd like to get a first 5 pick in next year's draft.  Besides, if there weren't nonsense opinions and mentalities on these forums there'd be nothing at all.  Now go take a deep breath, Sunshine, it's a nice summer out there.

5 hours ago, vinny_in_vancouver said:

Next year's draft has an arguably generational D-man in Rasmus Dahlin. He will likely be followed by an elite forward in Andrei Svechnikov. But the talent level is actually quite deep in next year's draft so the Canucks should explore getting another first rounder or two.

Amazing.

2 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

^^ Dahlin. This kid is like the McDavid of D. What a special player, but I think the Canucks will need 1st OA.

Totally agree from the small sample I've seen. Impressed with the hits as well, but the poise he has is amazing.

I just hope if we don't get him, some team out east does.

22 hours ago, kanucks25 said:

I don't have the numbers, I'm sure someone else will dig them up, but I'm pretty sure they suggest that top-5 picks have a much better chance of becoming something substantial compared to a non top-5 pick.

The biggest drop is after #3. From 4th on, the chances of getting a top-line player shrink considerably. 

I'd rather have a chance to win the lottery rather then lose the lottery as tends to happen to the bottom 3 teams.  I know the bottom 3 teams actually have the best odds to win but it feels like a much bigger loss dropping 3 spots as opposed to maybe dropping one spot as the 10th worst team.  I'm pretty sure we will be bottom 5 in the league regardless.  Didn't NJ finish 4th worst and ended up with Hischier.  I don't think I can take finishing bottom 3 again and dropping the maximum in the lottery again.  Finishing 4th - 6th last with big strides in development from our kids on our NHL, AHL and Europe teams next year and winning Rasmus in the draft lottery would be ideal.

Archived