The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Guessing Horvat's contract extension

Hortankin

4 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

8x6 I hope

I think that would be fair... But would suggest 5 years so if he exceeds expectations he will get a payout earlier. Even at 5 years, can't see it being lower than 6 mil.

Probably gonna be closer to 4-5 years, 6.5m imo.

1 minute ago, kloubek said:

I think that would be fair... But would suggest 5 years so if he exceeds expectations he will get a payout earlier. Even at 5 years, can't see it being lower than 6 mil.

Probably gonna be closer to 4-5 years, 6.5m imo.

I am banking on something of a "hometown" discount. I have no problems with 6.5 but maybe he really likes it here and does us a favour. 

I'd rather go longer term, lower cap hit. In 5 years time, who knows how high the ceiling might be but it's certainly growing, so even 6M won't be that much of a big deal then.

I'd give him 8 years, 5.5M per ideally. Takes him to when he's 30 years old when he will probably be at the end of his prime and can take a bit of a paycut.

Most importantly we get him at an affordable price at the beginning of, during, and at the end of his prime. When we're starting to contend for the cup in 3-5 years, Horvat's contract is nice and locked down. Give him a big fat NMC too.

Baertschi and Granlund will soon be demanding around 3.5-4.5M deals each, ideally 4 years each. That will start to bump us up.

Dahlen and Pettersson will (hopefully) be demanding around the 5-6M mark in their prime if they end up being top line scorers. The same will go for Boeser.

That's about 30M for our top-6 forwards in the future. Not bad.

3 minutes ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

I'd give him 8 years, 5.5M per ideally. Takes him to when he's 30 years old when he will probably be at the end of his prime and can take a bit of a paycut.

I'd be fine with this deal, but his agent will likely want something shorter so that he can cash in again at a prime age (28ish).

5.5M should be about the max cap-hit he gets. If you look at his comparables (Trocheck, Rask, Rakell) they're all making less than that.

We all love Horvat but 6+ is absurd right now.

3 minutes ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Baertschi and Granlund will soon be demanding around 3.5-4.5M deals each, ideally 4 years each.

Neither of these players have done anything close to demand a contracts like this.

What brings him to UFA? 5 years? If so id give him 4 years at around what 4-to4.5 As good as he's been Alex G got almost 5 and has put up more points and scored 30. Although Bo has other intangibles he brings. Still 4.5 at 4 years. And then do the 8-year contract assuming he has earned it. Which I'm sure he will.

I just hope JB isn't playing hardball with our future captain.

i would think based on what Trevor and Jim has said it will likely be in the 4-6 year range.

ideally 4 or 5 years if they feel the asking price is to steep. that would give us an opportunity to adjust his salary to a more reasonable rate if they feel he's reaching for the moon right now.

im hoping its in the low to mid 5's - might be in the 6's though.  Getting Pettersson makes things interesting for sure lol 

2 hours ago, combover said:

5 @ 5

8 @ 6

perfomance bonuses

NO ntc/nmc - hate them and they handcuff teams, use to be only the true elite got these now anyone gets them.

However I'm sure he'll get a m ntc and performance bonuses  

he's not eligible for performance bonuses.

anyway, I'm betting 6 years $31.5 mil. high enough to buy a couple years of ufa status, low enough that he'll get his next contract while still in his prime. 

2 hours ago, Hortankin said:

Give him McDavid money for 2 or 3 years with an agreement he signs an 8 year 1m aav contract.. thatD be sweet

So $3.4 million / year for 10 years?  I think it's more realistic that we trade Lockwood for McDavid.  Maybe we throw in a 2nd.  

I'm hoping for something like 8 years and something under $7 million / year.  

Archived