The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] Chris Tanev to Toronto

I don't think the Canucks could get the Leafs best defensive prospect and one of their better forward prospects in return. 

I could see more of a top prospect and a pick (likely no higher than a second) as being a realistic return right now.

Depends on the timeline, perhaps the return could be higher at the trade deadline but see no advantage to trying to trade Tanev for picks/prospects before then.

Another Tanev to TOR proposal. Okay. 

I don't think TOR trades Liljegren. They're pretty happy he fell into their lap. We may get their 1st (2018)+ for Tanev though, at the TDL. TOR just signed Moore, Hainsey and Marleau. I think TOR is going for it this year, and Tanev would really help their cause. 

When your status gets poached for a proposal haha

RetroCanuck(4hrs ago)-" Canucks should sign Wideman and Jagr too cheap one year deals and flip them at the deadline. Perfect way to acquire more picks while giving kids time to develop in Utica. Trade Dorsett for what you can. Trade Tanev for futures like Liljegrin+Kapanen"

Wouldn't this just put them in more cap trouble?

Price is probably a bit steep for TO, but if we were to take on Lupul's contract and throw in a lesser prospect, say Subban, and maybe a 3rd rd pick, I think it could work.

To Vancouver

Liljigren

Kapanen

Lupul

To Toronto

Tanev

Subban

2018 3rd rd pick

We get a couple of great prospects on forward and D, Toronto gets a guy that can play on their 1st pair, a decent depth D prospect to take away some of the sting of losing Liljegrin, a 3rd rd pick to net them another decent prospect, and cap relief from us taking Lupul.

I could see Toronto offering:  JVR, Connor Carrick and a 2nd rounder 2018

Which may seem like a decent offer for Leaf fans.  JVR is a cap dump and doesn't fit with our timeline.  Carrick has some potential as a RT handed D man.  A 2nd rounder... is a lotto ticket.  Not a great deal for the Canucks.

Canucks would counter with:  JVR (who we don't need or want) he is a cap dump, Bracco, Carrick and a 1st rounder 2018

JVR is likely moved as we have a surplus of wingers in the pipeline, Bracco is an exciting prospect who fits with our need for skill,  Carrick same as above.  The 1st rounder will likely be in the 20-24 range... should supply a good prospect.

Who blinks first?

Tanev is a 27 year old Rt handed defensemen with great metrics who elevates who ever he plays with to a higher level of play.  Look at what Tanev did for Sbisa and Edler... image what he could do for Morgan Reilly.   Tanev and Reilly on the top pair would solidify Toronto's defence for the next 5 years... which coincides with Marner, Nylander and Matthews prime years.  Toronto would do well to give the Canucks what they want.  Tanev is that good!  

If we were not 3-5 years away from contending I would never suggest trading Tanev for the above deals.  He is our best defencemen, who actually counts as a pair because of how he can increase his partners effectiveness.  Edler is not a top pairing guy without Tanev.

4 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

Another Tanev to TOR proposal. Okay. 

I don't think TOR trades Liljegren. They're pretty happy he fell into their lap. We may get their 1st (2018)+ for Tanev though, at the TDL. TOR just signed Moore, Hainsey and Marleau. I think TOR is going for it this year, and Tanev would really help their cause. 

Well if they want Tanev Benning already set the table, he wants a young d man in return so its Tanev for Lilijgren. Period. If TO doesn't like that then we will wait til TDL or someone else can make an offer.

2 hours ago, Sedintwinpowersactivate said:

I could see Toronto offering:  JVR, Connor Carrick and a 2nd rounder 2018

Which may seem like a decent offer for Leaf fans.  JVR is a cap dump and doesn't fit with our timeline.  Carrick has some potential as a RT handed D man.  A 2nd rounder... is a lotto ticket.  Not a great deal for the Canucks.

Canucks would counter with:  JVR (who we don't need or want) he is a cap dump, Bracco, Carrick and a 1st rounder 2018

JVR is likely moved as we have a surplus of wingers in the pipeline, Bracco is an exciting prospect who fits with our need for skill,  Carrick same as above.  The 1st rounder will likely be in the 20-24 range... should supply a good prospect.

Who blinks first?

Tanev is a 27 year old Rt handed defensemen with great metrics who elevates who ever he plays with to a higher level of play.  Look at what Tanev did for Sbisa and Edler... image what he could do for Morgan Reilly.   Tanev and Reilly on the top pair would solidify Toronto's defence for the next 5 years... which coincides with Marner, Nylander and Matthews prime years.  Toronto would do well to give the Canucks what they want.  Tanev is that good!  

If we were not 3-5 years away from contending I would never suggest trading Tanev for the above deals.  He is our best defencemen, who actually counts as a pair because of how he can increase his partners effectiveness.  Edler is not a top pairing guy without Tanev.

Calling JVR a cap dump is ridiculous. He's 28 year old 60 point player on a good contract fir another season. He would have easily led the Canucks in scoring last season.  I understand he's not a fit for Vancouver's rebuild. But JVR is in no way a cap dump. 

1 minute ago, qwijibo said:

Calling JVR a cap dump is ridiculous. He's 28 year old 60 point player on a good contract fir another season. He would have easily led the Canucks in scoring last season.  I understand he's not a fit for Vancouver's rebuild. But JVR is in no way a cap dump. 

Ok cap dump was a bit harsh.  He wouldn't be a Canuck cap dump... but for the Leafs he is expendable now that they signed Marleau.  They also have Kadri, Matthews, Marner and Nylander to provide the offence.  They need help on the back end and can't afford JVR with all the other weapons need to get paid.  So he is kind of cap dump.  Mind you coming off a career year.  They need to shed contract somewhere.

Once again some one has spiked their tea. Liligren, dosnt get you Tanev. As much as I have listened to the experts,  they believe JB has set a price on any talk's, and that is near a 1st, good prospect , NHL ready D-man. JVR doesn't fit in Van, unless JB has a side deal to move JVR. Please stop with the under cutting. The last thing JB said was he hasn't called anyone, he is getting the call's and being polite, and listening. Tanev is Vans best D-man hands down. And unless Lou or anyone else wants to over pay, he aint going anywhere.

3 hours ago, Sbriggs said:

Well if they want Tanev Benning already set the table, he wants a young d man in return so its Tanev for Lilijgren. Period. If TO doesn't like that then we will wait til TDL or someone else can make an offer.

I wouldn't mind getting Travis Dermott, he's a good defence prospect. Dermott + JVR + 1st (2018) so I see a trade still there, just not with Liljegren.

1 hour ago, Sedintwinpowersactivate said:

Ok cap dump was a bit harsh.  He wouldn't be a Canuck cap dump... but for the Leafs he is expendable now that they signed Marleau.  They also have Kadri, Matthews, Marner and Nylander to provide the offence.  They need help on the back end and can't afford JVR with all the other weapons need to get paid.  So he is kind of cap dump.  Mind you coming off a career year.  They need to shed contract somewhere.

Toronto doesn't need cap space. Horton and lupul go on injured reserve. They are in the hole 4 million at the moment but those 2 contracts coming off are a combined 10 and a half, giving them 6 and a half to play with. Toronto should make a go at a cup while their 3 young guns are cheap. They could add Tanev and still have a couple million left over

JVR likely fetches a first at the deadline but they'd be better off keeping him unless they somehow fall out of the playoff race

If you want Kasperi Kapanen and Timothy Liljegren it would prolly have to be something like this. 

Chris Tanev

2018 Conditional 2nd Round

for

Kasperi Kapanen

Timothy Liljegren

If Kapanen plays in 40 games and Canucks make playoffs 2nd turns into 1st rounder. 

That makes it more fair

2 hours ago, qwijibo said:

He's not a cap dump, but you are also correct that he's not a fit for what we need right now. The only reason I see the canucks do something involving JVR, would be to trade him at deadline for a first rounder and a prospect. If we were 3 more years along in the rebuild, then he would be useful.

Archived