The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Do you think the Sedins Retire at the end of this Season?

SpennyCanuck

Do you think the Sedin's retire at the end of this season?   

209 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

First time creating a discussion, so sorry if its in the wrong place...

Have a feeling like I could get roasted here... but want to hear what other fans think the future of the Sedin's is :) 

In no way have I heard that the Sedin's are planning on retiring, but have a gut feeling that they could at the end of the season. 

Ive made a poll, basically yes or no. If your answer is no, how much longer do you think they play for?

Reasoning:

• Will be 37 at the end of the season
  • Both will have over 1000 points (I hope)
  • have accomplished everything, except for winning a Stanley Cup 
  • Canuck's have zero chance at winning a cup in the next 3-5 years.
  • Recent signings (Sam Gagner specifically)  

The signing of Sam Gagner may have been what triggered me into thinking they will retire.

I believe that he could have signed for more somewhere else and could have signed to a better team in a better situation.

If they retire, Ganger will be given the opportunity to show that he can be the canucks goto player to create offence. 

Not saying that Gagner can replace the Sedin's, but he will help fill the void that they are going to leave for a couple of years until some prospects are ready to join the team. 

Why they will continue to play past this season. 

• Both relatively healthy
  • can play 2nd/3rd line minutes and be successful 
  • love for the game looks like its still there. 
  • prob make a couple mil to play the game they love 

I hope I'm wrong because they are such a treat to watch. even in there late thirties, they still manage to have that wow factor that they've had for the last 16 seasons.

Cheers,

Spenny

I think they would stay another year or two at a discount price to help us out one last time. They are probably the best thing that ever happened to this organization (and I'm a Bure fan for life). I can see them giving back to us. Who really knows could go any possible way, but I hope they would come back as 2nd liners for at least one more season.

My belief is that they need to be on different lines to continue their careers into their 40s. I think physically they will be able to do that If they want to, but if it means being on different lines I'm not sure that they'll want to. 

I hope they retire at the end of this season.

I love the Sedins, and there's no doubt that they carried this organization for the past 10+ years. I have nothing but the utmost respect for them as players, and more importantly as people. Nobody served this team and community better than them. They have been an absolute pleasure to watch.

That said, this team needs to move in a new direction and give the reigns over to the new guys. Give Bo the C, Edler (for now) and Gudbranson the A, and change up the old guard. I am more than ready for a culture change, and that will not happen with the Sedins here.

If you listen to them they're still very confident and expect a bounce back season.  If they regress quite a bit or are injured all the time... I could see it (retirement), but highly doubt it.  Probably take it year to year.  What I hope they do is sign with some good team for cheap and win the Cup, since it's not happening here and I would love to see them win.  

Ideally they retire at the end of petterson's first season. So probably three more season given that timeline. Management must know their plans at least a little bit to state how they can be a role model / guide to petterson and the only way that can happen is them playing together with petterson for at least half a season.

That or they are promoted to assistant coaches. :P

I think they keep playing for a few more years. They will probably be 2/3rds of an elite level 3rd line (at worst) in 3 years. If we can get the top 6 pieces in place, we could be playoff bound by the time they are 40. Not out of the question.

I'd really love them to sacrifice themselves for the team, i.e. (one year deal + big trade at deadline) * 3 or 4, but that's not even a remotely fair ask.  

Archived