The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

JAWN-ah-thuhn DAH-lihn

I'm not Swedish, but shouldn't it technically be more like YAWN-ah-tuhn? That's usually the rough pronounciation of that Name in Germanic languages.

Anyways, looking forward to see him. Hope he will get a couple of games in the NHL this season. Plan A seems to be the AHL for him this season, no?

38 minutes ago, Lateralus91 said:

I'm not Swedish, but shouldn't it technically be more like YAWN-ah-tuhn? That's usually the rough pronounciation of that Name in Germanic languages.

Anyways, looking forward to see him. Hope he will get a couple of games in the NHL this season. Plan A seems to be the AHL for him this season, no?

Me too. Even if he starts on the 4th line along maybe burmie and Virtanen. Guys got some edge to his game and A Hell of A shot. And with his work ethic I think we will see him up here sooner than most think.

8 hours ago, Lateralus91 said:

I'm not Swedish, but shouldn't it technically be more like YAWN-ah-tuhn? 

That's how he himself said it, so that's what I'm calling him. Heard Petterson call himself "eh-LEE-ahs", so I'm calling him that too.

ETA: The Lateralus91 pronunciation us the one Dahlen used, just to be clear. 

2 hours ago, Cramarossa said:

That's how he himself said it, so that's what I'm calling him.

Often, non-NA players will lie about how their names are pronounced because monolingual english-speakers won't come close to doing it right anyway.

1 hour ago, Allt svartnar said:

Often, non-NA players will lie about how their names are pronounced because monolingual english-speakers won't come close to doing it right anyway.

Like how Marky told everyone on After Hours his name is pronounced "JAY-cob" when his mom was calling him "YAY-cob" for the whole mom's trip.

I feel bad every time I hear Joel Eriksson Ek try walking folks through saying his first name. Or for any of the poor Finns (Puljujärvi, Teräväinen, Laine, etc.). I still have trouble differentiating "a" sounds from "ä".

2 hours ago, Cramarossa said:

Like how Marky told everyone on After Hours his name is pronounced "JAY-cob" when his mom was calling him "YAY-cob" for the whole mom's trip.

At home in Sweden, his parents wouldn't say "Yay-cob" either. It would be more like "YAHR-cob". This is very common in Sweden, where english education is good and self-confidence is low.

27 minutes ago, Allt svartnar said:

At home in Sweden, his parents wouldn't say "Yay-cob" either. It would be more like "YAHR-cob". This is very common in Sweden, where english education is good and self-confidence is low.

I hear that a lot about Swedes and Finns, that they doubt their skill in English even though by and large it's excellent. Most of the ones I've met in person only had faint accents even though they had not lived in NA long. I wish American foreign language education was half as good.

Archived