janisahockeynut

Benning is doing a great job! (Discussion)

Rate this topic

5 minutes ago, riffraff said:

Millennial.

Millennial?  Me?  Hahahahahah  I was in high school when Milbury and others made fools of themselves

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Jayinblack said:

I used to think he knew what he was doing, but NOBODY who lets the cupboards get as bare as Gillis did can be called a competent GM.

That's an oversimplification IMHO.

In the beginning, Gillis was a more than solid GM (even his *own peers* thought so - hence his "executive of the year" trophy).  Problem was, he "lost" it in the last few years (of which, we're paying for it now - Benning had to clean up the mess).

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Crabcakes said:

Millennial?  Me?  Hahahahahah  I was in high school when Milbury and others made fools of themselves

I was joking with you a bit.  I know by your posts around here you aren't a Millennial but Ye, torts tantrum was normal hockey stuff to me after all the years of being a fan and participant of the sport.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, The 5th Line said:

HAHAHAHA wow, just wow.  You are always preaching patience but you are already making claims like this?  

Typical biased homer.  Everything you post is just phony and garbage, tell us how you really feel 

Uh, OK.   First, not a homer buddy as Canucks are my third favourite team and certainly don't cheer for them if they are playing Canes or Panthers.

Second, I have watched all of those players play, have compared notes with others who have and we have a consensus  opinion that for the most part agrees that  OJ is the pick of that litter on the back end and by far the cream of the crop beyond the first two picks.   That is an opinion - that is what are expressed in discussion forums.   Instead of offering up some reasoning, just heading straight to personal attacks speaks of how clearly you don't have anything - no game - nothing.    Not even a shred.   Takes all the fun out of it really. 

"Phony and garbage".   Yup, anyone who doesn't agree with your opinion of the world is "phony and garbage".   

You are either a strange, sad little man or simply play that role in the internet.    I sincerely hope your on-line persona is all a trollish act as if this is you in real life, you need some help my friend.   That is how I really feel.   Seeing a fellow human being in such a state, if that is really your state, concerns me.  :(

• Upvote 4

28 minutes ago, EastVanCanuck said:

The whining in your messages.  I find it it amusing.  

Amusing or extremely  pathetic and sad.  I am on the fence.  If it is all an act, amusing - if really that twisted, feel sorry for he/she/it.

1 minute ago, riffraff said:

I was joking with you a bit.  I know by your posts around here you aren't a Millennial but Ye, torts tantrum was normal hockey stuff to me after all the years of being a fan and participant of the sport.

Some bizarre things have happened over the years.  I don't recall anybody trying what Torts did.  I shudder to think what might have happened to him if he actually got in the dressing room and assaulted Hartley.  It's not so much how audacious it was but how utterly foolish.  Insane really, particularly since it was premeditated.

Bruins going into the stands was at least done in a fit of rage.  It wasn't planned.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Crabcakes said:

Bruins going into the stands was at least done in a fit of rage.  It wasn't planned.

Don't forget "going into the stands" was the key event that enabled Roger Neilson to get the head coaching spot & start the momentum for us going in 1982.....

ahhh...the good old days....."Old time hockey!" :)

• Upvote 1

59 minutes ago, CanadianRugby said:

Oh you mean the Stanley Cup champion, multiple Jack Adams winner and winningest American coach in NHL history?  That won best coach award as soon as he left the Canucks?  Ya what a bum :rolleyes:   Good thing Benning hired Willie to turn this sinking ship around.. oh wait.  

Hey we agree on stuff! :) 

Nope this isn't what rebuilding through the draft looks like when these are your first 4 rounds and you're the 2nd worst team in the league.

Capture.JPG.62ce3e5c7f38dcfb100fc31f92a07d23.JPG

Wow do you ever nitpick. The team under torts was a wreck, there is no denying it. Yeah Torts won those awards but while he was "coaching" here he was living in point roberts and wouldn't even show up to most practices. What he did in TBay and Columbus is irrelevant to this conversation. We are talking about the mess Jim Benning inherited and what he has turned it into (yes still work to do).

In 2016 didn't he use our 2nd round pick to trade for Baertschi? Our 3rd leading scorer or something to that effect? While also trading Shinkaruk for Granlund, who turned into our 2nd leading scorer i believe.

I am not saying JB is perfect and hasn't made mistakes because, like you and me, he isn't perfect and most certainly has made mistakes. But that is also part of the job. Eriksson looks like a miss and the jury is still out on both of Virtanen and Gudbranson (and McCann for that matter). No GM has a perfect score. But in my opinion he is doing a hell of a job turning this franchise around considering the hand he was dealt.

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Uh, OK.   First, not a homer buddy as Canucks are my third favourite team and certainly don't cheer for them if they are playing Canes or Panthers.

Second, I have watched all of those players play, have compared notes with others who have and we have a consensus  opinion that for the most part agrees that  OJ is the pick of that litter on the back end and by far the cream of the crop beyond the first two picks.   That is an opinion - that is what are expressed in discussion forums.   Instead of offering up some reasoning, just heading straight to personal attacks speaks of how clearly you don't have anything - no game - nothing.    Not even a shred.   Takes all the fun out of it really. 

"Phony and garbage".   Yup, anyone who doesn't agree with your opinion of the world is "phony and garbage".   

You are either a strange, sad little man or simply play that role in the internet.    I sincerely hope your on-line persona is all a trollish act as if this is you in real life, you need some help my friend.   That is how I really feel.   Seeing a fellow human being in such a state, if that is really your state, concerns me.  :(

Bias and hypocritical, you preach patience but you are writing off other young players without hesitation.  Third favorite team?  You are on this forum 24/7...

Your posts wreak and the only followers you have are the usual homer suspects themselves.  Huttons Wink, J.R, Hortankin etc etc etc (I forget the other names off the top of my head).  

Sick work, boys.  

• Upvote 3

5 minutes ago, The 5th Line said:

Bias and hypocritical, you preach patience but you are writing off other young players without hesitation.  Third favorite team?  You are on this forum 24/7...

Your posts wreak and the only followers you have are the usual homer suspects themselves.  Huttons Wink, J.R, Hortankin etc etc etc (I forget the other names off the top of my head).  

Sick work, boys.  

I pray for you that your on-line persona is not your real one - if so, please confirm you have professional help available.

Back on topic, my two teams have moribund sites (check them out) and off-season talking hockey is something I enjoy.  24-7?  Really?  I have been registered here for just over 10 years and have just over 1000 posts.   You have been here three  years and have 2.5 times that many posts.   Uh, seems to me that works out to you posting between 5 and 10 times as frequently as I do.   If you call someone 24-7 but are 5 to 10 times more involved, what are you saying about yourself?  Is this something you talk to your professional help about?

I don't have "followers" - this isn't Twitter.   You need to get a grip - I hope your sessions go well this week.  I really do.    :(

• Upvote 4

17 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

I pray for you that your on-line persona is not your real one - if so, please confirm you have professional help available.

Back on topic, my two teams have moribund sites (check them out) and off-season talking hockey is something I enjoy.  24-7?  Really?  I have been registered here for just over 10 years and have just over 1000 posts.   You have been here three  years and have 2.5 times that many posts.   Uh, seems to me that works out to you posting between 5 and 10 times as frequently as I do.   If you call someone 24-7 but are 5 to 10 times more involved, what are you saying about yourself?  Is this something you talk to your professional help about?

I don't have "followers" - this isn't Twitter.   You need to get a grip - I hope your sessions go well this week.  I really do.    :(

Telling people to get help, you hope their sessions go well and all that stuff is getting old and it really isn't bothering me, or anyone else nor is it funny.

At the end of the day your posts are still biased and hypocritical.  You are a phony, good day to you, sir

Edited by The 5th Line
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, CanadianRugby said:

Based on your opinion. 

Based on professional opinion he's the #4 ranked D in his draft and the #13 ranked player overall.  

http://www.thehockeynews.com/news/article/how-would-the-2016-nhl-draft-unfold-if-we-did-it-again-today

1-4. Four NHLers
5. Clayton Keller, C (taken 7th by Arizona)
6. Jesse Puljujarvi, RW (taken 4th by Edmonton)
7. Charlie McAvoy, D (taken 14th by Boston)
8. Alexander Nylander, RW (taken 8th by Buffalo)
9. Mikhail Sergachev, D (taken 9th by Montreal)
10. Pierre-Luc Dubois, C (taken 3rd by Columbus)
11. Tyson Jost, C (taken 10th by Colorado)
12. Logan Brown, C (taken 11th by Ottawa)
13. Olli Juolevi, D (taken 5th by Vancouver)

Heres' the same annual redraft done by the Hockey News for 2014 by the same author

http://www.thehockeynews.com/news/article/how-would-the-2014-nhl-draft-unfold-if-we-did-it-again-today

Bennett and Reinhart ahead of Draisaitl..?

Michael Dal Colle (zero NHL games) ahead of Kevin Fiala,Robby Fabbri,Nick Ritchie,Julius Honka..?

Jake Virtanen ahead of Robby Fabbri,Christian Dvorak..?

A bit too early to be judging anything after a draft+1 ..I wouldn't read too much into it.

3 minutes ago, The 5th Line said:

Telling people to get help, you hope their sessions go well and all that stuff is getting old and it really isn't bothering me, or anyone else nor is it funny.

At the end of the day your posts are still biased and hypocritical.  You are a phony, good day to you, sir

A cry for help is a cry for help.  Calling out someone for being 24-7 at something with clear disdain when you yourself sre 5 to 10 times more active is clearly a massive statement of self-loathing.   Stay way from sharp things.   :(

4 minutes ago, Honky Cat said:

Heres' the same annual redraft done by the Hockey News for 2014 by the same author

http://www.thehockeynews.com/news/article/how-would-the-2014-nhl-draft-unfold-if-we-did-it-again-today

Bennett and Reinhart ahead of Draisaitl..?

Michael Dal Colle (zero NHL games) ahead of Kevin Fiala,Robby Fabbri,Nick Ritchie,Julius Honka..?

Jake Virtanen ahead of Robby Fabbri,Christian Dvorak..?

A bit too early to be judging anything after a draft+1 ..I wouldn't read too much into it.

Don't use logic.  Same author noted Karlsson was a wasted pick by Ottawa, Yakupov was going to be a superstar and many other proclamations about draft picks.   Would almost think having someone you pull for given a lower redraft is only confirmation of later greater success.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Instead of offering up some reasoning, just heading straight to personal attacks speaks of how clearly you don't have anything - no game - nothing.    Not even a shred.   Takes all the fun out of it really. 

:rolleyes:

• Upvote 2

well, this sure got owly after I crawled off to sleep in the bath.^_^

3 hours ago, Salacious Crumb said:

:rolleyes:

Don't assume he is ok.   

19 hours ago, smokes said:

Good mentor for Dahlen and Petterson since the Sedins will probably be gone before they reach the NHL.

Oh my, you cant be serious. Sarcasm I hope.

The last guy on this roster I would want "mentoring" our young players is a lazy, floating mercenary like Eriksson who seemingly saves his best hockey only for contract years. The last thing this team needs is to have our few top prospects following in that clown's footsteps. I still cant believe we're stuck with that albatross for another 5 years. He's my only real gripe with Benning that I can think of off hand.

• Upvote 4