The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Benning is doing a great job! (Discussion)

J.I.A.H.N

I stole this mostly from Nucker67 but I must say, Benning has done a great job in a pretty short order. He is obviously not finished yet, but wow, when you sit back and look at what he has done, it is not too hard to see the fine job he has done. Now, I have complained bitterly about some of his moves in the first year or so, but either Benning has gotten real lucky (probably a little) or he has been in rebuild all along. Let's look at our future....................

I like the way Nucker67 formatted this and I have added the Dman and goalies to it.....so to steal his formatting...here I go

Future first 3 lines.......in ranked order

L - Dahlen, Granlund, Baertschi                                           LHD - Juolevi. Hutton. Brisebois                                       Goalie - Demko, DiPietro

C - Pettersson, Horvat, Gaudette                                         RHD - Stecher, Gudbranson, Chatfield

R - Boeser, Goldobin, Virtanen

4th line Depth........in ranked order

L - Gadjovich, Labate, LaPlante                              LHD - McEneny, Rathbone

C - Gaunce, MccEwen                                            RHD - Tryamkin*, Subban

R - Lockwood, Rodin, Lind

* Tryamkin is still in the system, but has the same value as a depth player because of his uncertain return possibility

This is where I see us today, with our younger players and prospects............

So at this very moment our veteran list is

H. Sedin......................I think both Sedin's will be resigned to 1 or 2 year contracts

D. Sedin......................same

Eriksson......................Regardless of production, he is here 2 more years, unless he is traded with major cap retention (50%)

Gagner.........................Makes Sutter expendable.......he will be moved in 2 years.....1 if he has a great year

Sutter...........................I think one of "core" pieces could be traded at the TDL

Edler............................Not moving, he will play out his contract

Tanev..........................We don't have enough RHD depth to trade at this moment, unless it is a huge trade that brings back a younger RHD back...(not happening)

Del Zotto......................He makes Hutton expendable

* I believe Evander Kane will sign here next year (July1, 2018) He will make a difference in how we move forward from that point on, being he is a #1 LW

The young players and prospects make me excited for the next 2 to 3 years, as well as, our next couple of drafts.....................

I hope Benning can sit on the launch button for another year, and I hope he moves some veterans, before moving forward.........one has to ask, is Benning prepared for us to move forward this early.......it's looking good, and I worry about us clicking a little early.................

Thoughts:

If Kane has another decent year, he's going to be asking for the moon and he's the last guy I want to pay that too. 

Agree and really like the amount of skill and scoring forwards we have in the system.

We do need some more "jam" on our forward group though. That projected top 6 is pretty soft. Hopefully Virtanen, Gadovich and Mccewen can really contribute there.

Defence definitely has depth issues. Maybe it's just me and granted I haven't watch a lot of these guys so far, but I'm not sold on or sure why anyone thinks Briesbois, McEneny, and Chatfield project as NHLers. I mean I never would have thought Tanev would either until you watch him play, so there's always theory. But they certainly won't be point contributors at this level which is what we need.

Overall, I love Bennings drafting ability and his ability to find players who play a style that will be effective in the NHL. Shinkaruk for Grandlund. I'm not sold on his decision making in free agency. But I think Benning is learning and improving like the rest of this team

Benning is doing a great job drafting and restocking cupboards that have been bare since 2006

Benning is doing a terrible job being competitive because we're finishing in the bottom 6 of the league for 3 of the last 4 years

It's all subjective

6 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Benning is doing a great job drafting and restocking cupboards that have been bare since 2006

Benning is doing a terrible job being competitive because we're finishing in the bottom 6 of the league for 3 of the last 4 years

It's all subjective

I didn't realize that "blow it up" and "win the cup" are suppose to happen in the same year. If thats the standard Benning is being held to.... yikes. 

I am not convinced that management has 100% autonomy when it comes to the overall direction of this 'rebuild'.  With that being said, I think Benning is doing an ok job overall with his best attribute being scouting obviously.

19 minutes ago, Tre Mac said:

I am not convinced that management has 100% autonomy when it comes to the overall direction of this 'rebuild'.  With that being said, I think Benning is doing an ok job overall with his best attribute being scouting obviously.

It's weird how he's done well at finding talent late in the 1st round and beyond, but has struggled with his top picks.  

For Benning to be doing a great job...a lot of those prospects will need to become stars ...so far zero have had any NHL success.

If you take Benning at his word, and the goal was to stay competitive and retool on the fly, while fighting for a playoff birth...

then he has failed miserably.

After 3 yrs at the helm... we were the 2nd worst team in the league last year.

We were also the least entertaining to watch probably...

He has overpaid in each of his contract negotiations w/the exception of Tanev,

Dorsett

Sbisa...

Sutter...too much for a 3rd line C

Eriksson .....only team in the league that would give 6x6...couldn't give him away today

Miller.....was way overpayed when had absolutely no competition for his services

Markstrom...too much for a guy who has never been more than a back up...

Thought Gagne maybe 2m-2.5, Nillson maybe 1m (where else was he gonna sign ??)

He doesn't seem to have a pulse on the value of players within the league, and the concept of supply and demand.

I think he failed miserably in the Kesler trade, the Vey trade,the Sutter trade,the Clendening trade and the Gudbranson trade.

Did Ok on Baer for a 2nd maybe, and Granlund for Shink was a win (think Weisbrod made this one)

Everyone points to the Burrows and Hansen trades as being his shining moment...and I hope they are

I have more faith in SJ and Ottawa's ability to assess these 2 players after having them in their system.

That they were willing to part with them for 3-4 liners in a playoff run speaks volumes to me.

I hope I am wrong and Goldie,Dahlen,Virtanen,Demko,Juolevi,Boeser et al all become stars...but as we sit here today, after 3 yrs in charge...

we are arguably the worst team in the league. (and probably the hardest to watch)

He is constantly ranked dead last in any consensus poll of hockey "experts", although I take this with a grain of salt.

Again...we suck after 3 years and are pinning our optimism on completely unproven players. CDC posters had Cole Cassels written in stone as our answer to shutting Connor McDavid for the next decade at this time last year.

Hardly what I would call  "a great job"...

I'd give him a D (up from F before this yrs trade deadline and draft)......but could improve if all these guys pan out.

The people who criitisize JB (media and fans) never take into account what he inherited. A whole lot of nothing from a prospects perspective and a whole lot of drama with Kesler demanding a trade, oh and Torts. In 3 years he has turned our prospect stock into something respectable. Boeser, Tryamkin, Gaudette, Juolevi (ballsy but I think will pay off over Tkatchuk), Hutton?, Stetcher, Granlund, Baertschi, Dahlen, Goldobin were all great picks/signings/acquisitions.

He, like most other members of this org, is learning as he goes and I think has improved in many aspects of his job over the last 3 years. His FA period this year was pretty impressive imo.

I think his biggest mistake was trying to make the playoffs in WD's first year. Only because that was the McDavid draft and we certainly could have challenged for that 3rd spot in the lottery that the Oilers occupied without the FA signings of Vrbata and Miller (although Miller was a beauty for us). That draft did give us Boeser though.

So yes I think JB is doing a fantastic job considering what he started with. Him and TL are building the right way.. through the draft. To quote the great GMMG, "it's a process"; a process that takes time and patience. Here we are in his 3rd year and we have legitimate competition for spots going into camp for the first time in a long time.

42 minutes ago, nickels said:

For Benning to be doing a great job...a lot of those prospects will need to become stars ...so far zero have had any NHL success.

If you take Benning at his word, and the goal was to stay competitive and retool on the fly, while fighting for a playoff birth...

then he has failed miserably.

After 3 yrs at the helm... we were the 2nd worst team in the league last year.

We were also the least entertaining to watch probably...

He has overpaid in each of his contract negotiations w/the exception of Tanev,

Dorsett

Sbisa...

Sutter...too much for a 3rd line C

Eriksson .....only team in the league that would give 6x6...couldn't give him away today

Miller.....was way overpayed when had absolutely no competition for his services

Markstrom...too much for a guy who has never been more than a back up...

Thought Gagne maybe 2m-2.5, Nillson maybe 1m (where else was he gonna sign ??)

He doesn't seem to have a pulse on the value of players within the league, and the concept of supply and demand.

I think he failed miserably in the Kesler trade, the Vey trade,the Sutter trade,the Clendening trade and the Gudbranson trade.

Did Ok on Baer for a 2nd maybe, and Granlund for Shink was a win (think Weisbrod made this one)

Everyone points to the Burrows and Hansen trades as being his shining moment...and I hope they are

I have more faith in Ana and Ottawa's ability to assess these 2 players after having them in their system.

That they were willing to part with them for 3-4 liners in a playoff run speaks volumes to me.

I hope I am wrong and Goldie,Dahlen,Virtanen,Demko,Juolevi,Boeser et al all become stars...but as we sit here today, after 3 yrs in charge...

we are arguably the worst team in the league. (and probably the hardest to watch)

He is constantly ranked dead last in any consensus poll of hockey "experts", although I take this with a grain of salt.

Again...we suck after 3 years and are pinning our optimism on completely unproven players. CDC posters had Cole Cassels written in stone as our answer to shutting Connor McDavid for the next decade at this time last year.

Hardly what I would call  "a great job"...

I'd give him a D (up from F before this yrs trade deadline and draft)......but could improve if all these guys pan out.

Goldie was on Anaheim? i learn something new everyday lol.

just remember that on average about half of a teams top prospects meet their potential.  we are so far out right now in every position....    

thought experiment:  if only half of your prospects meet their potential (a good average), then we still need 3 top forwards - which will take 6 picks, and on D we need to draft another 3 top d (if half of them make it, we will have top defensive pairing).  So that is 9 picks.  we can count second round picks somewhat, and teams find good players in the draft at other rounds sometimes....    Maybe we already have some in the system but don't know it...  at best we still need 3 or 4 top picks to even have a chance at a cup somehow.  And the team is not competitive at all, there is no winning environment - I don't see how anyone can even make that argument.

Hopefully we get a bit lucky and we already have a core forward group and D... but in all likelihood this team and its prospect pool will look radically different in 3 years... with less than half of the top prospects still here and contributing.

1 hour ago, S'all Good Man said:

I didn't realize that "blow it up" and "win the cup" are suppose to happen in the same year. If thats the standard Benning is being held to.... yikes. 

If we land another top 5 pick next year, that should set us on the path to be a really deep, competitive team, starting 2019 season, and for the foreseeable future.

Fans don't always take enough enjoyment from watching the youth that is coming up, develop into effective NHL players, and that development is a process that you can't shortcut or you wind up with a really bad team for more than a decade.

Is what it is, fans need to learn patience in building a team the right way.

The Canucks won't be ready to compete yet for another 2-3 years. It's assumed the following players will leave the team during or after this time:

Daniel - retire

Henrik - retire

Eriksson - trade or buy out

Sutter - trade

Edler - trade or lose

Tanev - trade

Dorsett - retire

I see the future top 6 being:

Dahlen - Pettersson - Virtanen

______ - Horvat - Boeser

I still think they have to find a gritty, physical LWer for Bo's line (Gadjovich?). Kane or Landeskog would be great too. If not, perhaps Granlund plays on Bo's wing. For some reason, I just can't see Baertschi or Goldobin hoisting the Cup or being effective deep playoff performers. I also put Virtanen with the Swedes, to give that line some "push", to get to the dirty areas and to protect, while being capable of providing offence. Virtanen could be a beast in 2-3 years.

every year we see these posts

remember when it was (using your format)

Grabner Rodin (yes that rodin)

Connauton Rahimi

Hodgson Schroeder White Rai                                                          Clarke

Bourdon Sauve Ellington

Raymond xxx

Look at the at that Center Depth!  Thats a solid top five for a decade to come! Thats a 2012 Cup winner, right there!

Who knew that a decade later Mason Raymond would have had the most successful career with 251 points in 544 games, followed by Grabner, Hodgson, Connauton and Schroeder?

1 hour ago, CanadianRugby said:

It's weird how he's done well at finding talent late in the 1st round and beyond, but has struggled with his top picks.  

With Virtanen, sure. But that's about all we can say at this point, so I don't think we can label Benning like that.

6 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

If we land another top 5 pick next year, that should set us on the path to be a really deep, competitive team, starting 2019 season, and for the foreseeable future.

Fans don't always take enough enjoyment from watching the youth that is coming up, develop into effective NHL players, and that development is a process that you can't shortcut or you wind up with a really bad team for more than a decade.

Is what it is, fans need to learn patience in building a team the right way.

You should have told that to Benning Is Doing a Great Job 3 years ago.

Archived