The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Photography chat and shares

On 9/6/2017 at 6:36 PM, TheAce said:

Tonight is supposed to be a great night for the northern lights. Hopefully the smoke isnt too thick so people can get some good pics

In the Okanagan we have an ongoing joke for us night shooters.

It goes "This is the best event we're ever gonna miss"

All of the major solar storms, meteor showers, eclipses are blocked out by bad weather and storms, smoke or full moons which drown out the view due to light

It's literally been 9 out of 10 events for the last 3 years.  This event was the largest since 2006 and we got absolutely laughed at by mother nature for it.  Even drove up to Coquihalla to the summit and it was socked in deep with no visible view at 1 am

12 hours ago, Penskih said:

Ahh okay makes sense thanks! Ive heard that what a grad filter does can be replicated with lightroom. Whereas cpl's are more necessary. What do you think?

Grad filters can very easily be replicated in lightroom with the grad filter.  Usually just a -0.15 with a slight drop in highlights and an increase in contrast or dehaze.

But the effect you get from a good CPL (not a cruddy one but a good one) is something so far that even the best digital artists in editing programs haven't been able to replicate

• 3 weeks later...

If you're ever having questions about editing processes or how does this work in Lightroom or Photoshop My suggesting is Unmesh Dinda.  He's a kid out of Mumbai who is absolutely brilliant with his tutorials.  He has a free youtube channel and is quickly (very quickly) becoming one of the most sought after instructors of digital imaging 

Link is here

https://www.youtube.com/piximperfect

Image taken in Summerland BC

Image may contain: sky, mountain, outdoor and nature

• Upvote 2

• 2 weeks later...

Well, you damn Canadians invaded Huntington Beach a couple weeks back...

DSC_0294.thumb.JPG.60e4ef020200e4fc4793e45899a581b9.JPG

But the Blue Angels came to save the day...

DSC_0346.thumb.JPG.26f9f74e3a08f1fc338238e4448a276c.JPG

DSC_0352.thumb.JPG.83e21dcca37c18921c349425ee75bb3a.JPG

The first Blue Angel pic is only to show how close they were... those solar panels at the bottom are on my house.

2nd annual HB airshow.  Great to have this right overheard, but the jets scare the crap outta the pets sometimes. 

With them zooming around, all I can do is put it on Continuous shooting mode, and hope for the best on focus.  No way to use autofocus here, at least not with my camera.  I'm happy with some of the shots, and I guess that's what counts.  You won't get them all.

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Kragar said:

Well, you damn Canadians invaded Huntington Beach a couple weeks back...

DSC_0294.thumb.JPG.60e4ef020200e4fc4793e45899a581b9.JPG

But the Blue Angels came to save the day...

DSC_0346.thumb.JPG.26f9f74e3a08f1fc338238e4448a276c.JPG

DSC_0352.thumb.JPG.83e21dcca37c18921c349425ee75bb3a.JPG

The first Blue Angel pic is only to show how close they were... those solar panels at the bottom are on my house.

2nd annual HB airshow.  Great to have this right overheard, but the jets scare the crap outta the pets sometimes. 

With them zooming around, all I can do is put it on Continuous shooting mode, and hope for the best on focus.  No way to use autofocus here, at least not with my camera.  I'm happy with some of the shots, and I guess that's what counts.  You won't get them all.

Annoted I am never around for these events.  I'd love a shot of these jets in action.

My buddy Caillum got to shoot for the dept of defense at the abbotsford air show.  Full access.  Not envious at all

Just now, Warhippy said:

Annoted I am never around for these events.  I'd love a shot of these jets in action.

My buddy Caillum got to shoot for the dept of defense at the abbotsford air show.  Full access.  Not envious at all

Yeah, I bet!  I know this show doesn't measure up to the Abby show.  Been there a couple times.  It's too crowded to check this out at the beach, and just as easy to walk out the front door, pay nothing, and avoid the crowds.  I was really happy with the Blue Angel one.  Never got a great underside group view of the Snowbirds, and the single plane shots just seem lacking.

View's pretty much always good if you ever come down here, although they did have to cut the first show short (which meant no Blue Angels at least), due to clouds.  I assume there will be a 3rd annual, etc.

Wife and I have the aurora on our bucket list.  I know that's not gonna be easy, given the glitchy weather.  That, and we have to make time to get away from family in the Lower Mainland.  Sorry to hear you get jammed up with weather so much.

On 7/14/2017 at 0:27 PM, Warhippy said:

http://www.softservenews.com/en/aurora-borealis-breaking-news/aurora-storm-watch-300142.html

This is one of many alerts and trackers I use, True Northern and Solar Ham are also great.

14 hours ago, Kragar said:

Yeah, I bet!  I know this show doesn't measure up to the Abby show.  Been there a couple times.  It's too crowded to check this out at the beach, and just as easy to walk out the front door, pay nothing, and avoid the crowds.  I was really happy with the Blue Angel one.  Never got a great underside group view of the Snowbirds, and the single plane shots just seem lacking.

View's pretty much always good if you ever come down here, although they did have to cut the first show short (which meant no Blue Angels at least), due to clouds.  I assume there will be a 3rd annual, etc.

Wife and I have the aurora on our bucket list.  I know that's not gonna be easy, given the glitchy weather.  That, and we have to make time to get away from family in the Lower Mainland.  Sorry to hear you get jammed up with weather so much.

The site I linked is one of my favorite to use for northern lights alerts.  

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/23/2017 at 8:16 AM, elvis15 said:

More replying to this to follow, but tried my hand at some shots with \ step below the DSLRs about 10-12 years ago:

tools_by_elvis15.jpg

iceandsnow_by_elvis15.jpg

frozenintime_by_elvis15.jpg

no_fishing_today_by_elvis15.jpg

Not the best but couldn't pass up an opportunity to take some photos in Bella Coola in the winter.

Almost thought those license plates were from around here on Green Mt road

Sony just announced the A7 3

Absolutely solid looking camera body.  Still not weather sealed or rugged enough for my tastes but they're seriously making a push for it.  New lens line being announced soon as well

Nikons full frame mirrorless and first medium format bodies due to be announced next year as they sit and rest on their D850 (which I just picked up today) and rightfully so as it is an absolute monster of a camera

On 8/11/2017 at 11:31 AM, Kragar said:

Yeah, portability was definitely a plus.  Hiking and photography go together pretty well, but having a bulky camera around my neck gets old quickly.  I think I would do just fine with a couple lenses... it got me this far.  I'll definitely keep this in mind when it comes time to shop.  Thanks!

Further to this - This video popped up in my Youtube feed and I thought it humorously touched on this discussion:

25 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Further to this - This video popped up in my Youtube feed and I thought it humorously touched on this discussion:

Thanks, J... aGent (was wondering where you had got to... I only recognized you yesterday.  If it weren't for the Rainbow Butt Monkey title, who knew how long it would take if you didn't reply here :) )

Interesting about the lower light situations still being better on the full frame.  Will need to see if that matters for me and what my tendencies are, so I can make the best decision when the time comes for shopping.  Of course, buying a mirrorless doesn't mean my current camera disappears, so that's something.

On 10/27/2017 at 2:26 PM, Kragar said:

Thanks, J... aGent (was wondering where you had got to... I only recognized you yesterday.  If it weren't for the Rainbow Butt Monkey title, who knew how long it would take if you didn't reply here :) )

Interesting about the lower light situations still being better on the full frame.  Will need to see if that matters for me and what my tendencies are, so I can make the best decision when the time comes for shopping.  Of course, buying a mirrorless doesn't mean my current camera disappears, so that's something.

Depends.

If you purchase Fuji  the lower light issues are mitigated by built in axis stabilization allowing you to take shots at lower shutter speeds while hand held.

Sony mirrorless has the native sony built sensors which dominate the market and basically make any iso issues a joke

Nikons new home built BFI on a dslr and their patents on a new in house curved sensor and reports of their first true mirrorless bodies coming in 2018 also bode well.

Lots of options out there and I always keep my eyes open because sometimes carrying 9 pounds of equipment for 10 hours a day is not enjoyable.

• 4 weeks later...

For anyone interested in new purchases.  Canon is having a solid sale for the next 3 days on camera bodies and glass.  Sony through Vistek in Ontario is marked down a fair bit as well.  StrobePro lighting out of Calgary is currently ridiculous for lighting.stands and modifiers

Happy shopping :)

Photo of redhead for tribute.

Image may contain: 1 person, standing, tree, sky, plant, outdoor and nature

Edited by Warhippy
  • Cheers 1

55 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

For anyone interested in new purchases.  Canon is having a solid sale for the next 3 days on camera bodies and glass.  Sony through Vistek in Ontario is marked down a fair bit as well.  StrobePro lighting out of Calgary is currently ridiculous for lighting.stands and modifiers

Happy shopping :)

Photo of redhead for tribute.

Image may contain: 1 person, standing, tree, sky, plant, outdoor and nature

A quick glance shows she has no feet, then the eye picks up that her dress is wind blown forward and her feet are behind the forward flap. Nice picture.

Side note- if you ever see someone without shoes standing at the outside rail of a BC Ferry, call a crew member as that passenger is about to jump.

6 hours ago, gurn said:

A quick glance shows she has no feet, then the eye picks up that her dress is wind blown forward and her feet are behind the forward flap. Nice picture.

Side note- if you ever see someone without shoes standing at the outside rail of a BC Ferry, call a crew member as that passenger is about to jump.

Not true at all, they jump WITH shoes, that way there's something to talk about when they wash up on shore 18 months later 

First time stumbling across this thread.

Actually first time even being in this directory after being a member for over 10 years  :lol: 

How many of you are taking these pictures with just your phone?

I want to shop for a decent camera one day but for now I will just use my phone.

Photography is in my bloodline. It is something I would like to have fun with on the side. 

Anyways.......

Just something I snapped on an early morning walk over the weekend

20171126_075434[1].jpg

GetAttachmentThumbnail?id=AQMkADAwATM3ZmYAZS1iZGI4LTlkNjEtMDACLTAwCgBGAAADs%2BUJX9MjtUeSRKjFZQe1sQcAvBip6aica02OzibefDW6QgAAAgEJAAAAvBip6aica02OzibefDW6QgABRZXC%2BgAAAAESABAAbaSAgQvH60WfjM3x6Wsyuw%3D%3D&thumbnailType=2&owa=outlook.live.com&scriptVer=20171117.03.02&isc=1&X-OWA-CANARY=63JtYm8c-EKLPzPGXN6IIrCfM5RIN9UYH67f9wWuOWu3z4VOSE-K40pj8oiK1SZB7fYUT9t3BWA.&token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJSUzI1NiIsIng1dCI6ImVuaDlCSnJWUFU1aWpWMXFqWmpWLWZMMmJjbyJ9.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.ndpvNYbvh14_yEwEor77b3tUhfysZ_nfVedc2fHdXWHwgXrY6KZWZLzkVzioc0NxPxi8Ipq0R-9o__GgJFSST1Cn0AO7sf3qs6HPyqPpG-zLcOCh7icoymyO7aiVOgv5DTPz28YBPqZO_YNqSFVYAxdjrXqzXihJypUnGoP1WSZBdM6KepkAcD67ZdV3bsE9E_8u8glhry5oXXceBm9lambVGgFFMlUh7I2LM5xTpECCGpAdyiJVdmeHoxWmIT0fjvPEKYOTf1vrrFT5rkGIdKGsre2gzdImc_vVguq4HMziP1Pso63zQfKuyB_BkrDjVb8chGOwqyjSybmZU_wJ0Q&animation=true

Edited by Shift-4

36 minutes ago, Shift-4 said:

Not me.  I have a starter DSLR, which came with 2 lenses (Best Buy warranty policy sucks on packages like this, btw, at least down south here), and added another, longer zoom lens which I love and use 90% of the time.

I hear that phone cameras are getting better and better, but I can't imagine it having as good a control (or, me having as good control) with it compared to a proper camera.  Caveat: my hands shake, so having the tighter hold on a camera that has some weight to it makes for better pics than trying to use my phone.  Also, with zoom lenses, I think you can frame the pics faster and more easily than adjusting the zoom on your phone's screen, but that might just be me.  My phone is also pretty old, so maybe newer ones are better.

• Upvote 1

On 2017-11-29 at 8:57 AM, Shift-4 said:

First time stumbling across this thread.

Actually first time even being in this directory after being a member for over 10 years  :lol: 

I want to shop for a decent camera one day but for now I will just use my phone.

Photography is in my bloodline. It is something I would like to have fun with on the side. 

Anyways.......

Just something I snapped on an early morning walk over the weekend

20171126_075434[1].jpg

GetAttachmentThumbnail?id=AQMkADAwATM3ZmYAZS1iZGI4LTlkNjEtMDACLTAwCgBGAAADs%2BUJX9MjtUeSRKjFZQe1sQcAvBip6aica02OzibefDW6QgAAAgEJAAAAvBip6aica02OzibefDW6QgABRZXC%2BgAAAAESABAAbaSAgQvH60WfjM3x6Wsyuw%3D%3D&thumbnailType=2&owa=outlook.live.com&scriptVer=20171117.03.02&isc=1&X-OWA-CANARY=63JtYm8c-EKLPzPGXN6IIrCfM5RIN9UYH67f9wWuOWu3z4VOSE-K40pj8oiK1SZB7fYUT9t3BWA.&token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJSUzI1NiIsIng1dCI6ImVuaDlCSnJWUFU1aWpWMXFqWmpWLWZMMmJjbyJ9.eyJ2ZXIiOiJFeGNoYW5nZS5DYWxsYmFjay5WMSIsImFwcGN0eHNlbmRlciI6Ik93YURvd25sb2FkQDg0ZGY5ZTdmLWU5ZjYtNDBhZi1iNDM1LWFhYWFhYWFhYWFhYSIsImFwcGN0eCI6IntcIm1zZXhjaHByb3RcIjpcIm93YVwiLFwicHJpbWFyeXNpZFwiOlwiUy0xLTI4MjctMjI5Mzc0LTMxODI5OTI3MzdcIixcInB1aWRcIjpcIjk4NTE1NzAxMTU0NTQ0MVwiLFwib2lkXCI6XCIwMDAzN2ZmZS1iZGI4LTlkNjEtMDAwMC0wMDAwMDAwMDAwMDBcIixcInNjb3BlXCI6XCJPd2FEb3dubG9hZFwifSIsImlzcyI6IjAwMDAwMDAyLTAwMDAtMGZmMS1jZTAwLTAwMDAwMDAwMDAwMEA4NGRmOWU3Zi1lOWY2LTQwYWYtYjQzNS1hYWFhYWFhYWFhYWEiLCJhdWQiOiIwMDAwMDAwMi0wMDAwLTBmZjEtY2UwMC0wMDAwMDAwMDAwMDAvYXR0YWNobWVudC5vdXRsb29rLm9mZmljZS5uZXRAODRkZjllN2YtZTlmNi00MGFmLWI0MzUtYWFhYWFhYWFhYWFhIiwiZXhwIjoxNTExOTc0NTE3LCJuYmYiOjE1MTE5NzM5MTd9.ndpvNYbvh14_yEwEor77b3tUhfysZ_nfVedc2fHdXWHwgXrY6KZWZLzkVzioc0NxPxi8Ipq0R-9o__GgJFSST1Cn0AO7sf3qs6HPyqPpG-zLcOCh7icoymyO7aiVOgv5DTPz28YBPqZO_YNqSFVYAxdjrXqzXihJypUnGoP1WSZBdM6KepkAcD67ZdV3bsE9E_8u8glhry5oXXceBm9lambVGgFFMlUh7I2LM5xTpECCGpAdyiJVdmeHoxWmIT0fjvPEKYOTf1vrrFT5rkGIdKGsre2gzdImc_vVguq4HMziP1Pso63zQfKuyB_BkrDjVb8chGOwqyjSybmZU_wJ0Q&animation=true

I'm acquainted with a lady who is actually supporting a good portion of her monthly income now via iPhone-ography

Computational programs now in iPhones are allowing for faux looking lighting/DoF that mimic various speed lenses and primes of pro DSLR's

Simply put, the rise of phone photography has lead to the shuttering of Nikons point and shoot plants in countries with tax and tariff issues like China and Brazil during their restructuring as well as their killing off of the Nikon One in order to pursue a true mirrorless line up.

Cell phones now average 12 to 16 MPs and Sony built sensors are now being introduced in almost every line.  Leica has a camera specifically built for the Huawei line as well.

Whatever your future purchase is, never EVER buy a point and shoot.