The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Photography chat and shares

What are some recommendations for lens cleaning products?  I think when I first got my camera, we also bought a pen-like device, with one end being a retractable brush and the other some kind of concave cloth-covered thing to wipe away streaks.  It has worked well enough, but I wonder if there was something I could be doing that was better

@Warhippy, some time ago you were giving me guidance on circular polarizing filters.  I found a Hoya one that looks good, and has what looks like an awesome feature: it's anti-static, so claims to be dust, stain and water repellent.

Then I realized, I keep a UV filter on the outside, since they are cheap to replace if they get scratched.  The Hoya is on the pricey side ($100), and if it made sense to keep putting the UV filter on the outside, then paying for anti-static seems pretty pointless.

Any thoughts?  Given the lens I would use this on, the CP filter would be on pretty much all the time.  Thanks.

1 hour ago, Kragar said:

What are some recommendations for lens cleaning products?  I think when I first got my camera, we also bought a pen-like device, with one end being a retractable brush and the other some kind of concave cloth-covered thing to wipe away streaks.  It has worked well enough, but I wonder if there was something I could be doing that was better

Lens cleaning can be done with any kind of glass cleaning solution that is safe enough for phones/monitors.  But ensure you have a very soft microfibre cloth.  The same kind you'd use to clean your reading glasses with to ensure a scratch free finish.

1 hour ago, Kragar said:

@Warhippy, some time ago you were giving me guidance on circular polarizing filters.  I found a Hoya one that looks good, and has what looks like an awesome feature: it's anti-static, so claims to be dust, stain and water repellent.

Then I realized, I keep a UV filter on the outside, since they are cheap to replace if they get scratched.  The Hoya is on the pricey side ($100), and if it made sense to keep putting the UV filter on the outside, then paying for anti-static seems pretty pointless.

Any thoughts?  Given the lens I would use this on, the CP filter would be on pretty much all the time.  Thanks.

I avoid UV filters as much as possible as without stepping in to the B+W price range of $200+ they tend to degrade the optical quality of the actual image and are mainly used for simple lens protection.

For circular filters you'd be swapping your UV for your CPL anyways.  CPL's better for use in cloudy conditions, moving or running water and reflections as well as forested environments with intermittent lighting.

Anti static is a selling feature that doesn't matter much honestly.  Hoya or Sigma within the $100 range is about right and both will do a quality job.  For a few dollars more see if you can find a NiSi dealer like Beau Photo or Broadway Camera.  They are the end all be all for filters IMO because their colour casting is so minial as is their vignetting.

14 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Lens cleaning can be done with any kind of glass cleaning solution that is safe enough for phones/monitors.  But ensure you have a very soft microfibre cloth.  The same kind you'd use to clean your reading glasses with to ensure a scratch free finish.

I avoid UV filters as much as possible as without stepping in to the B+W price range of $200+ they tend to degrade the optical quality of the actual image and are mainly used for simple lens protection.

For circular filters you'd be swapping your UV for your CPL anyways.  CPL's better for use in cloudy conditions, moving or running water and reflections as well as forested environments with intermittent lighting.

Anti static is a selling feature that doesn't matter much honestly.  Hoya or Sigma within the $100 range is about right and both will do a quality job.  For a few dollars more see if you can find a NiSi dealer like Beau Photo or Broadway Camera.  They are the end all be all for filters IMO because their colour casting is so minial as is their vignetting.

Thanks, as always for the good input.  I'm down South here, so not sure if Beau Photo or Broadway would be the way to go for me.  Amazon has a NiSi (multicoated pro nano HUC) CP filter for $64 (I have a 58mm lens), so if that is a good way to go, then that's clearly a better deal than the Hoya I mentioned before.  There's only 2 Amazon ratings, and I don't think they are specific to the CP filter, so are even worth less than normal.

Thanks for the UV tip.  Since my UV filters are in decent shape after many years, perhaps I'm better off without them at this point.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I hope this thread isn't too old to reply to. I've been away for a while so forgive me. (Also, since when has CDC started letting you upload photos directly? I used to have to upload them to Photobucket and then link to them using BBCode, this is awesome!)

My girlfriend and I recently picked up a mirrorless Canon EOS M10 and have been tinkering with it a bit, plus I have an LG G5 which probably had the best camera in a smart phone at the time of its release (and I haven't found a phone with a significantly better camera since either).

I do absolutely no photo editing at all (I would have no idea what to do with it anyways), but I have started to shoot RAW and then format into JPG.

I have not done full manual shooting yet, but I do try to stay away from full auto.

The only real tip I've learned is the "rule of thirds" so if you have any suggestions, I'd love to hear them!

First, the most photographed lighthouse in the world, Peggy's Cove. I'm so lucky I live just a 40 minute drive from it. I'm happy with the way the clouds kind of frame the structure.

IMG_0553.thumb.jpg.4eed7a2cec2f0ccd3f31c61b183fc2af.jpg

Another one. This one was shot in full auto simply because it was lined up so perfectly I needed to take the shot quickly and not mess about.

IMG_0373.thumb.JPG.c9928f96b6e34fe0c7229a1af79c1a87.JPG

My girlfriend sitting on the edge, watching the sunset

IMG_0559.thumb.jpg.d3263da91c5247a264527a6c0dce1608.jpg

This one I took in Tulum, Mexico with my phone. I tried applying the Fibonacci aspect ratio to it (centered around the little stone building), but to be honest, not quite sure how that works (and the Fibonacci sequence is my favourite mathematical sequence!)

20171204_122649.thumb.jpg.b2c6145f5e0b47e93a0904a6e5577396.jpg

But my favourite shots use nature to frame them. I took this with my phone, but it also lost some of its quality because I had to download it from my online backup in Google Photos which compresses the images a bit.

20171005_192115.thumb.jpg.4655f879cbac2e4427e8ceda27b45d1a.jpg

Also shot with my phone in Tulum.

20171204_122419_HDR.thumb.jpg.bc4810f90989d50ec97e9be95f0193c4.jpg

Last one, another sunset over Long Lake in Nova Scotia (there are a lot of lakes in Nova Scotia called "Long Lake"). I like that the trees framed it well but also kind of look like they're waving bye to the sun as it sets.

IMG_0230.thumb.JPG.d2b5f8e561a86142e4cc5f8779706ccd.JPG

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

On 2018-06-29 at 7:34 AM, xyster said:

I hope this thread isn't too old to reply to. I've been away for a while so forgive me. (Also, since when has CDC started letting you upload photos directly? I used to have to upload them to Photobucket and then link to them using BBCode, this is awesome!)

My girlfriend and I recently picked up a mirrorless Canon EOS M10 and have been tinkering with it a bit, plus I have an LG G5 which probably had the best camera in a smart phone at the time of its release (and I haven't found a phone with a significantly better camera since either).

I do absolutely no photo editing at all (I would have no idea what to do with it anyways), but I have started to shoot RAW and then format into JPG.

I have not done full manual shooting yet, but I do try to stay away from full auto.

The only real tip I've learned is the "rule of thirds" so if you have any suggestions, I'd love to hear them!

First, the most photographed lighthouse in the world, Peggy's Cove. I'm so lucky I live just a 40 minute drive from it. I'm happy with the way the clouds kind of frame the structure.

Another one. This one was shot in full auto simply because it was lined up so perfectly I needed to take the shot quickly and not mess about.

IMG_0373.thumb.JPG.c9928f96b6e34fe0c7229a1af79c1a87.JPG

My girlfriend sitting on the edge, watching the sunset

IMG_0559.thumb.jpg.d3263da91c5247a264527a6c0dce1608.jpg

This one I took in Tulum, Mexico with my phone. I tried applying the Fibonacci aspect ratio to it (centered around the little stone building), but to be honest, not quite sure how that works (and the Fibonacci sequence is my favourite mathematical sequence!)

20171204_122649.thumb.jpg.b2c6145f5e0b47e93a0904a6e5577396.jpg

But my favourite shots use nature to frame them. I took this with my phone, but it also lost some of its quality because I had to download it from my online backup in Google Photos which compresses the images a bit.

20171005_192115.thumb.jpg.4655f879cbac2e4427e8ceda27b45d1a.jpg

Also shot with my phone in Tulum.

20171204_122419_HDR.thumb.jpg.bc4810f90989d50ec97e9be95f0193c4.jpg

Last one, another sunset over Long Lake in Nova Scotia (there are a lot of lakes in Nova Scotia called "Long Lake"). I like that the trees framed it well but also kind of look like they're waving bye to the sun as it sets.

IMG_0230.thumb.JPG.d2b5f8e561a86142e4cc5f8779706ccd.JPG

Beauty man.  The best camera is always the one in your hand.  Only tip regarding rule of thirds is cropping and creative spacing.  ensure you find a nice middle point between foreground and background

• Thanks 1

Nikon rumours released for their new mirrorless line.  Looks damned impressive and if the price point is correct will be about 8% higher than the current specs for Sonys mirrorless leaders.

https://nikonrumors.com/2018/07/03/first-set-of-rumored-specifications-for-the-nikon-mirrorless-cameras.aspx/

Note that I said "cameras" in the title - yes, Nikon is coming up with two mirrorless cameras. Here are the specs that I believe are correct (some numbers could be slightly off or rounded):

• Two mirrorless cameras: one with 24-25MP and one with 45MP (48MP is also a possibility). I assume both cameras are full frame (I did not get a specific confirmation on that).
  • Similar body size to the Sony a7 camera but with better ergonomics and a better grip.
  • 5-axis in-body stabilization
  • 9fps
  • New mirrorless mount. We already knew that,  but the number I was given this time is 55mm. The Z-mount dimensions I reported a few months ago were 49mm for the actual opening and 65.4mm for the entire mount diameter.
  • The new mirrorless mount will allow for f/0.95 lenses - remember the NOCT trademark and f/0.9 lens patents?
  • Memory cards: XQD and CF Express - now this is a surprise for me, but it is what I have heard (ProGrade is coming with a CF Express card).
  • EVF resolution: 3.6MP (update: I am not sure if this is MP or million dots, the translation could be wrong since the specs originally came from Asia)
  • Initially, three lenses will be announced: 24-70mm, 35mm and 50mm (I think the 35 and 50mm will be f/1.4). There is also talk about a 24mm, but it may come later.
  •  Pricing:
    • The 45MP model will be around $4,000/€4,000 in a kit with the 24-70mm lens.
    • The 25MP model will be under $3,000/€3,000 (also with a lens).
  • The official announcement is rumored for the end of July (on or around July 23rd) and shipping shortly after (August 23rd). This is the part I am not sure about because previous tips suggested a Photokina announcement. Maybe we will see the development announcement at the end of July and the official announcement before Photokina. I will try to get a confirmation on the exact announcement date.

I will be getting more information in the next few days and will be able to confirm or update the information provided above.

Read more: https://nikonrumors.com/2018/07/03/first-set-of-rumored-specifications-for-the-nikon-mirrorless-cameras.aspx/#ixzz5KK4SupVx

On 6/29/2018 at 7:34 AM, xyster said:

Love this pic.  Your others were good too, but this was my fave.  Hard to ask for better framing from the clouds, IMO.

18 minutes ago, Kragar said:

Thanks for the ^^ updates @Warhippy

I finally got to use my CP filter a few weeks back, but haven't seen the results on screen yet.  Hopefully there are some worth posting.

Just remember.  CPL for clouds and forests/shade with broken shadows.  Always helps.  Can also be very effective with reflections and water.

Love testing new things

• 1 month later...
4 hours ago, NuckNation_ said:

I just recently picked up a Nikon D3400 as my entry-level DSLR. It came with the 18-55mm lens. 

Any tips or suggestions? I'm new to photography and I've only been out a couple times with it. 

Any info for a noob would be helpful. ^_^

Good choice for a Nikon newbie. It will do great things and the lens is very, very sharp so your pictures will be good.

Get to know Ken Rockwell's site. Rockwell is a camera geek who supports himself reviewing cameras and lenses as well as photographing professionally. He is also a good teacher who doesn't get too technical. He is readable and understandable.

For his review of the D3400, go here  https://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/d3400.htm

Edit: Be sure to click on the Ken Rockwell's Nikon D3400 User's Guide . It will give you step-by-step instructions in a way that a new user can easily follow.

Enjoy. As Warhippy says, the best camera is the one in your hand, but it is hard to beat a Nikon DSLR. (Or a Canon, for that matter, but it's all about the glass.) 

Edited by Curmudgeon
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Curmudgeon said:

Good choice for a Nikon newbie. It will do great things and the lens is very, very sharp so your pictures will be good.

Get to know Ken Rockwell's site. Rockwell is a camera geek who supports himself reviewing cameras and lenses as well as photographing professionally. He is also a good teacher who doesn't get too technical. He is readable and understandable.

For his review of the D3400, go here  https://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/d3400.htm

Edit: Be sure to click on the Ken Rockwell's Nikon D3400 User's Guide . It will give you step-by-step instructions in a way that a new user can easily follow.

Enjoy. As Warhippy says, the best camera is the one in your hand, but it is hard to beat a Nikon DSLR. (Or a Canon, for that matter, but it's all about the glass.) 

Thanks a lot, I'll check this out. 

On 8/8/2018 at 2:23 PM, NuckNation_ said:

I just recently picked up a Nikon D3400 as my entry-level DSLR. It came with the 18-55mm lens. 

Any tips or suggestions? I'm new to photography and I've only been out a couple times with it. 

Any info for a noob would be helpful. ^_^

My Nikon starter a few years back came with both the 18-55 and an 18-200.  The 200 was decent, but we quickly upgraded to a 55-300mm.  Loooove good zoom ability.  Great for nature and action shots, in case that is something you are planning on.  Wish I could get a longer zoom, but I think I'll upgrade the camera first.  It's easy to get addicted to zoom, and I love how easy it is to frame shots with it, as opposed to using my phone.  Much more precise with a zoom lens.

Get out there, have fun, and take lots of shots... the great thing about digital pics... it doesn't cost anything taking those extra shots, and you learn more about the camera. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...