The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen with good corsi

Hortankin

4 hours ago, kingofsurrey said:

Virt has always shown himself to very responsible defensively.

His big body and speed is exactly what the Canucks need in their lineup.

Really hoping he is on the squad for this upcoming season.

I think Virt can easily play on the 4th line and work his way up the roster from there..

Very encouraging to read about his fitness improving and that shows he is putting in the work at the gym / practise and getting serious about being a pro.

Right I see his floor as a Hansen/Torres hybrid. That's not a bad find at all. 

The thing is his draft spot is the only thing that really irks people. 

time to accept that and move on. This guy will be a player for this club for years to come. 

23 hours ago, oldnews said:

I thought it was interesting that out of the 29 players on that list only 14 remain and some of those may not even make the NHL team this year.  

And this isnt a rebuild???

17 minutes ago, Eastcoast meets Westcoast said:

time to accept that and move on. This guy will be a player for this club for years to come. 

It is really to bad that the team tried to expedite his development by putting him on the team as a 18 year old .This seemed to really put a damper on his evolution as a complete player. I know they did not want to send him back to the Hitmen .?

Right now I am rooting for him to hit at minimum your floor projections, I would be extatic to no end .We may have to wait another year to see him regularly in Van.

Bobbyg43,

I agree Jake can spend another year in the AHL and get call ups. 

Its the carrot or the whip for Jake.  He has shown a early tendency to get too comfortable relying on his natural abilities.  That's his Achilles heal IMO. He needs to see where he can get with proper training and professionalism while being up in the NHL, then send him back down so he learns to work to keep up in the NHL.  

Once he learns to work for it always, IMO he will flourish as a two way power winger that ever team yearns for. 

EmW

5 hours ago, Hortankin said:

Feel free to not read them. I figured this deserved it's own topic.. it does clearly state I made the thread so if you don't like my threads you shouldn't click on them.

So what's your take on Virtanen? Or did you just open it to make a smart remark for some rep points?

I'm glad they brought back the minus

Honestly probably could have just slapped this in one of the existing Virtanen threads, but that's not really my place to say.

I am gonna say the same thing I have been saying. I still believe in this kid, I still believe he can become a top 6 player for us. It's very promising hearing the good things about his game in the A. I wouldn't mind seeing him in the A again, with injury call ups. Also would be ecstatic if he comes into camp with a great showing and pushing some people out of the way and taking a roster spot. He is still my fav prospect and I am sure that comes with some bias but still I believe in this kid. I will never root against or think negatively of any of our prospects unless they do something really crazy like punt a puppy or something.

2 hours ago, Eastcoast meets Westcoast said:

You see that as his floor?

Torres topped out at 27 goals in a season and Hansen with 22.  I'm not closing the book on Virtanen at this early stage, but I think that's closer to his ceiling than his floor.  I think if Benning could be guaranteed your "floor" as Virtanen's average season, he would take that deal.

Just now, Kevin Biestra said:

You see that as his floor?

Torres topped out at 27 goals in a season and Hansen with 22.  I'm not closing the book on Virtanen at this early stage, but I think that's closer to his ceiling than his floor.  I think if Benning could be guaranteed your "floor" as Virtanen's average season, he would take that deal.

I do see that as his floor.  Hansen took years to crack 20g and Torres averaged 15g or so a season. Hansen played on the third line until 2-3 years ago and Torres was mainly a third line player as well. 

IMO that is Jakes floor.  This is consistent with his draft projections and his abilities.

If Jake can keep up his good two way play, which he has already shown in two years, plus throw the body and pot 15g a season as a third line player, that's a Hansen/Torres hydrid. Throws the body, for checks and gets the occasional goal. 

Better two way player than Torres, but hits a little less but bigger hits than Hansen. Gets about the same goal production. 

7 hours ago, Hortankin said:

Feel free to not read them. I figured this deserved it's own topic.. it does clearly state I made the thread so if you don't like my threads you shouldn't click on them.

So what's your take on Virtanen? Or did you just open it to make a smart remark for some rep points?

This topics been beat to death well before you made the thread. Multiple articles have been done about it over the last couple months and multiple threads have talked about it as well. 

My take on Virtanen is he's developing okay, little under what we all hoped he'd be but he'll be fine.

As for the rep point comment, its interesting that you think a comment like that would garner positive reputation. That insinuates you believe other people would agree with my comment thus leading to the conclusion that you already know this thread is unnecessary. 

1 hour ago, Eastcoast meets Westcoast said:

I do see that as his floor.  Hansen took years to crack 20g and Torres averaged 15g or so a season. Hansen played on the third line until 2-3 years ago and Torres was mainly a third line player as well. 

IMO that is Jakes floor.  This is consistent with his draft projections and his abilities.

If Jake can keep up his good two way play, which he has already shown in two years, plus throw the body and pot 15g a season as a third line player, that's a Hansen/Torres hydrid. Throws the body, for checks and gets the occasional goal. 

Better two way player than Torres, but hits a little less but bigger hits than Hansen. Gets about the same goal production. 

Jake's floor is still not being a regular NHLer.

The only problem for Jake is that his corsi numbers get inflated by him taking needless shots from any angle and directing them on net, and the play dies because of it

While it's a good thing to have the puck on your stick to begin with, shooting from anywhere just for the sake of it isn't always the best thing

49 minutes ago, Fateless said:

This topics been beat to death well before you made the thread. Multiple articles have been done about it over the last couple months and multiple threads have talked about it as well. 

My take on Virtanen is he's developing okay, little under what we all hoped he'd be but he'll be fine.

As for the rep point comment, its interesting that you think a comment like that would garner positive reputation. That insinuates you believe other people would agree with my comment thus leading to the conclusion that you already know this thread is unnecessary. 

No I just see the smart ass comments getting reps. Kind of why the first few comments in a thread are smart ass digs at the OP.  If I agreed with your comment I'd say i agree with your comment...

But is he hitting?  That's what concerns me.  When I saw him play Arizona 2 years ago he levelled Murphy(forgot his first name) and when Murphy stumbled to the bench I saw Shane Doan tell four or five teammates "Watch out for that kid".  Last year however for whatever reason(injuries, management?) he stopped hitting.  If he uses that physicality along with his speed he could be at the very least a well serviceable bottom six player.  If he can hone those skills with a more effective shot off the off-wing he could be the player we all hoped he'll be, a top 6 beast.  I wish him all the luck in the world and I hope he succeeds.   

5 minutes ago, Kevin Biestra said:

Jake's floor is still not being a regular NHLer.

I disagree. Off season training is a correctable flaw. He has all

the tools and the guy that finished the season in Utica would be a welcome 3rd liner on my team. 

The only question is if his conditioning carried over to the offseason and can he keep it going.  That's a big 'if' but that's it. The rest will fall into place for Jake to reach his floor provided he can train and prepare like a professional from now on. 

4 hours ago, Eastcoast meets Westcoast said:

I'd be absolutely thrilled if that was his ceiling, let alone his floor.

Unfortunately his floor is where he is now.

1 hour ago, Fateless said:

26 minutes ago, Hortankin said:

Oh no not a minus!

My life is ruined now

Instead of this feeble sarcasm, you could learn from what people are saying and doing in response to your actions.

Seriously man, it seems like you're making half a dozen threads a day, and as previously pointed out to you, they could go in existing threads.

I know it is fun to be on these boards but maybe take into account what others are trying to help you with so that we can all enjoy them.

I put my first post in its own thread because I didn't even know what a thread was back then and it should have been in the Prospects Camp thread.

Everybody straightened me out but quick I tell ya, but I learned from it, and I don't catch near as much flak as I used to.

IMO, Jake is ok and getting better, no matter what Corsi & Company say one way or the other.

Archived