The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen with good corsi

Hortankin

7 hours ago, Baggins said:

Top right corner your name has a drop down menu. Select account settings. On the left hand side you'll see signature. If you're using an image you need to enter a link to the image and then save it. Check the board rules for rules on image size before adding one.

Thanks for the help.

I don't believe in corsi. It's too skewed of a stat, just like +/- is.

However, I'm also not blind to the fact that Virtanen has been improving this past year since going to the AHL.

So I hope he continues to improve and becomes an NHL'er. That's really my opinion on it. lol

On 8/7/2017 at 3:42 PM, Rob_Zepp said:

He looks so much more fit than 12 months ago.   Face totally different.   I would suspect his %body fat has changed dramatically.  

I'm waiting for someone to be like "oh he has a tattoo! He's been not training! How dare he do something other than train! WAAAAAAAAAH!"

On 8/7/2017 at 3:08 PM, guntrix said:

Ask yourself this: if you were a fan of any of the other 30 NHL teams, would you also say his floor is a Hansen/Torres hybrid? Probably not.

Would you also say he still won't become a bonefide NHL player if you're a fan of another team? Probably not.

Generally, people are more patient with players that belong to other teams.

On 7/12/2017 at 0:44 AM, Toews said:

What could you possibly hope to glean from a 15 game sample size? Before somebody jumps on me for it, I would say the same whether the results were good, bad or merely okay. 

This is REALLY taking grasping at straws to a whole other level,

I'll link this over at HF, people will be laughing their a$$'s off

14 minutes ago, terrible.dee said:

This is REALLY taking grasping at straws to a whole other level,

I'll link this over at HF, people will be laughing their a$$'s off

How is this grasping at straws? Care to enlighten?

If you're going to accuse someone else of "grasping straws" it kind of helps to explain why, otherwise it just sounds like you're crying over someone else's opinion....

20 hours ago, xRussianrocket said:

Corsi rating is not a stat a put too much emphasis in. Its usually a stat people pull out thier anus to hype underperforming players.

I find the opposite actually - most bring it up to say the "underlying stats are weak" when a player breaks out or becomes a member of a given team.   Corsi has been used relentlessly on this site to slam Horvat and Guddy for example.    

I interpret it like this ...

During Travis Green's first press conference, our new coach said that he has a good read on what certain players need in their individual process of development. 

Some young guys need to stay down below and not come up to the big club at all while others actually need to be developed in a combo of up and down. It's a middle pipeline of development for young guys who are almost ready in certain aspects of their game but not quite. 

When he mentioned that, I immediately thought that's likely where we'll see Virtanen this coming season.

I see Virtanen's Corsi and improvement as more of an indicator of where he fits into how Green identifies the players who need to be in that mid-pipeline. Seems pretty natural that's where Virtanen needs to be at this stage. 

On 8/8/2017 at 8:04 PM, The Lock said:

Would you also say he still won't become a bonefide NHL player if you're a fan of another team? Probably not.

Generally, people are more patient with players that belong to other teams.

Yes actually. It´s only logical that other fanbases are divided as to whether Jake will be a bonafide NHL player.

8 hours ago, guntrix said:

Yes actually. It´s only logical that other fanbases are divided as to whether Jake will be a bonafide NHL player.

Well then this kind of throws your original argument out the windows does it not? If other fanbases are going to be divided then different people are going to have different opinions logically.

• 1 month later...
2 hours ago, drummerboy said:

Because HF is jam packed full of a-holes, haters and idiots.  

Much more than CDC. 

It is like a bashing the Canucks hotbed. 

Never understood how someone's life could be so empty that they would take to the internet to bash something for the sake of it - particularly to bash young athletes trying to develop and hone their craft.  To critique or project, or even to call out a player for less than admirable actions, seems more than fine but the sole purpose being to be dark, negative and generally "bashing" any given topic/team just seems like a cry for help.   Do these people really think they annoy other humans enough that such gives the bashers some sense of superiority they don't get elsewhere in life?    I really think there are a number of psychological studies out there waiting for a PhD student!

Anyway, to those who like to bash irrespective of fact, have at it and hopefully it adds some sunshine to your dark lives!   :huh:

1 minute ago, oldnews said:

Derp.  Who is CDC? 

Thousands of people here with divergent opinions and perspectives.

Never mind that most people's 'problems' with analytics is not actually a problem with analytics but rather a problem with poor analyses, devoid of context, of them

The Nay sayer's can keep bashing but, I see a confident kid who's starting to put it together. 4 points in 3 games is very encouraging. While I don't see him in the line up this season, I can see him back next year, if he shows consistency in Utica this season. The only thing that concerns me is that he seems to have lost some of his physical edge. He needs to sustain that part of his game to really put him over the top for this team but, all in all, a great improvement in him. It's good to see. 

Keep it up Jake. You'll get there.

Archived