The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Ted Nolan Becomes A Head Coach Again

Raise your hand if you thought for half a second after reading the title I wrote for this post that he somehow got another NHL job. :lol:

Anywhooo....  Now that his 7-figure Sabres cheques are over with, he's going to try to do for Poland what he did in Latvia.  Poland just named him as their new head coach.

Ted Nolan is a head coach again.

The former NHL bench boss, including two stints with the Sabres, has been hired as the new head coach of Poland’s men’s national team.

“We count on the Canadian hockey school. This country has been the best in the world in recent years and I’m glad we have been able to find an agreement with such a great coach,” said Dawid Chwalka, the President of the Polish Ice Hockey Federation, per the IIHF. “Ted Nolan has worked not long ago in Latvia and knows European hockey. We expect that with this staff we will reach improved results.”

Nolan coached Latvia at the 2014 Winter Olympics in Sochi, where his underdog squad gave the eventual gold-medal winners from Canada a major scare.

Poland is currently ranked 20th in the world by the IIHF.

http://nhl.nbcsports.com/2017/07/12/ted-nolan-to-coach-polish-national-team/

Pegula set him up to be the fall guy there a couple seasons ago that much is clear. 

With his experience in hockey Nolan most certainly would've been aware of that however. 

Now Nolan is head-coaching again and Murray is doing exactly what now? 

On ‎7‎/‎13‎/‎2017 at 8:00 AM, Ghostsof1915 said:

I actually assumed that someone in the AHL would take a risk on him. 

For some reason the politics within the NHL don't make sense. He went from the Jack Adams awards winner in one year to blackballed and out within 2. You ask me any team rebuilding would love him at the helm. One of the true teachers of the sport and has been able to adapt over the years.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2017-07-20 at 11:49 AM, Ojibwa72 said:

For some reason the politics within the NHL don't make sense. He went from the Jack Adams awards winner in one year to blackballed and out within 2. You ask me any team rebuilding would love him at the helm. One of the true teachers of the sport and has been able to adapt over the years.

I thought the Sabres seemed to show up and play hard for him despite management making it clear as day that they were trying to dismantle the team and tank. It seemed odd to fire him.

• 2 weeks later...

How does it work when they get a foreign coach if the players don't speak english? 

I'm sure there must be some players on the team that don't speak it? Or does everyone in Poland also speak English? 

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/10/2017 at 9:17 AM, apollo said:

How does it work when they get a foreign coach if the players don't speak english? 

I'm sure there must be some players on the team that don't speak it? Or does everyone in Poland also speak English? 

English is the language of hockey.  I saw a clip somewhere of a Swedish coach reaming out his mainly Swedish team in English.  I imagine if there are a few non Swedes, they use English since in Scandinavia, they all learn English in school.  Maybe a Finn would be more likely to know English than Swedish.

Somebody who knows for sure can maybe confirm this.   

• 2 weeks later...

Archived