The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion/Proposal] When is the right time to trade Sutter & Eriksson?

As the rebuild moves forward I think it goes without saying that Sutter and Eriksson will be moved once the young guns start showing consistency and promise, but considering that both forward have impending No Movement/Trade Clauses coming up in their contracts I'm wondering if it would be better to get rid of them sooner rather than later.

Sutter's 15 team no-trade list starts in 2019, and Eriksson's begins 2020 (via CapFriendly).

I very quickly browsed the rosters and farm teams in the Eastern Conference and came up with two names: Nikita Sherbak (MTL) and Alex Nylander (BUF). I realize the former would take more than one of Sutter or Eriksson, but seeing as Montreal is in dire need of scoring and a center to step in for the hole that Plekanec isn't filling, as a win-now organization I feel that it's not too crazy to think Sherbak would be on the block.

As for Nylander, this trade would have to go down once Buffalo is closer to competing, and would obviously need more assets coming from the Canucks side of things, but I think, in the right circumstances, Nylander would be a piece that the Sabers would consider moving for the right price. Perhaps one of the above mentioned forwards and a member of the D core that is in their prime *coughcough* Gudbranson *coughcough* would get the ball rolling.

Now I want to hear from you: When, if at all, should the Canucks trade Sutter and Eriksson? Now, and let the young kids lead the way? or Continue the slow development process and never really contend for that coveted 1st overall pick, and trade them in a couple years?

Re their NTC/NMC - it's the other way around. 

Sutter has a full NTC and it becomes a modified one in 2019/20.  Same with Eriksson he has a full NMC now but there will be some trade flexibility come 2020/21.

IMO both have negative value because of their contracts with Eriksson's contract being pretty close to unmovable.

After the year he just had I doubt there are many teams willing to take a chance on him. The only hope we have is him having a fantastic upcoming season which significantly raises his trade value for a contender looking for a versatile top-6 winger. However, there's also a chance we see more of the same from Eriksson, or even a regression given his age, and we're stuck with him for the duration of his ugly contract.

As for Sutter, I think a team would take him with either retention or a bad contract coming back. Doubt many teams would be interested in something like their 2nd for Sutter with his full contract. If we could get rid of his contract today without giving up a good asset with it, I would do it. If not, that's fine, we'll ride it out with him as a versatile veteran 3rd liner. 

Maybe their numbers will improve as there's more depth on D, and more youth at forward. Once their points go up you can move Sutter. If Eriksson was making $3.0 million no one would gripe. I have no issue with him. Because unlike Vrbata at least Eriksson tries, and can forecheck. Sutter I dunno, he drives me nuts like Edler. One minute he's making great plays. The next he's invisible. 

54 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Sutter I dunno, he drives me nuts like Edler. One minute he's making great plays. The next he's invisible. 

Then Sutter doesn't remind you of Edler. Because Edler rotates between making great plays and straight up awful plays. #droppass ;)

the way i look at it is, pettersson and dahlin are pencilled in to take the sedin's spots, gaudette may be sutter's replacement. i'm not sure who plays the ericksson's role. he may not be on the team yet. virtanen doesn't fit that spot yet. ericksson is very good defensively and has elite skills offensively. there are always ways to move people if they want to. sutter is very good defensively, on face offs and leadership. i'm sure there will be another team added to the nhl in the future. 

personally, i like the trio, sutter, ericksson and granlund. 

They're both going to be too tough to trade. I would say there is still hope that some GM values Sutter in the same way that Benning did when he traded for him, but it's unlikely. If someone offers something tangible for either of them, I would hope that Benning jumps all over it because they both basically have no value in a trade

Sutter's fine - he takes tougher minutes and helps shelter the young guys. Unless someone offers more than he's worth, it would be better to hang onto him for a couple more years. He's only 28 too, so he should still be decent when his contract is over in 2021. He will likely get as much as a rental at that point than anything we can get in the meantime, and provides some value, so don't see a need to move him.

But Ericsson? Move him at the first opportunity. Even if it means waiting until his NMC is over (becomes a NTC), and if he's having a good season just putting him on waivers to see if someone takes him. Don't want any part of the last 2 years of his contract. You think this year is bad? Wait until he's 35/36...

8 hours ago, AllCanucksAllTheTime said:

As the rebuild moves forward I think it goes without saying that Sutter and Eriksson will be moved once the young guns start showing consistency and promise, but considering that both forward have impending No Movement/Trade Clauses coming up in their contracts I'm wondering if it would be better to get rid of them sooner rather than later.

Sutter's 15 team no-trade list starts in 2019, and Eriksson's begins 2020 (via CapFriendly).

I very quickly browsed the rosters and farm teams in the Eastern Conference and came up with two names: Nikita Sherbak (MTL) and Alex Nylander (BUF). I realize the former would take more than one of Sutter or Eriksson, but seeing as Montreal is in dire need of scoring and a center to step in for the hole that Plekanec isn't filling, as a win-now organization I feel that it's not too crazy to think Sherbak would be on the block.

As for Nylander, this trade would have to go down once Buffalo is closer to competing, and would obviously need more assets coming from the Canucks side of things, but I think, in the right circumstances, Nylander would be a piece that the Sabers would consider moving for the right price. Perhaps one of the above mentioned forwards and a member of the D core that is in their prime *coughcough* Gudbranson *coughcough* would get the ball rolling.

Now I want to hear from you: When, if at all, should the Canucks trade Sutter and Eriksson? Now, and let the young kids lead the way? or Continue the slow development process and never really contend for that coveted 1st overall pick, and trade them in a couple years?

Sorry Gudbranson is a key guy just go back to Florida and the great season they had?? Gudbranson was a key part of that great team, players were upset..

We never seen a healthy Gudbranson style mean, stay at home guy 6'5 220lbs, 25 yrs old 3.5 mil okay...I am a Gudbranson guy  don't have a guy like this, we have been miss this tough stay at home guy for 10 years. 

Now lets talk Sutter soft, 6'3, over paid 4.3 mil , 3rd line centre or winger, plays PK, good at draw, Montreal might give us a 2rd pick and prospect, would trade him at anytime ..Gaudette will take his spot next season, this young prospect has some grit as well//

Now Erickson signing I really believe ownership had a lot to do with this signing? They were thinking playing with twins there would be magic again..

I feel Benning is way too smart for this signing.. We have to trade him but be patient until the right deal is there.. Erickson might want to go after twins leave?

We have some very good prospects in the system now after good drafting with Benning in charge..Drafting (2117 A,)  (  2016 Ct )..(2015 B,)  ( 2014 Bt)

We would get nothing for Eriksson right now.  No team wants to pay over half a million a goal.  Looking at the information on his contract clause, we need to hold on for another couple of years anyway, so hopefully this season and next he gets himself together.  (Although if he does, it doesn't hurt to have solid scoring and leadership from a vet)

As for Sutter - I actually don't mind the guy.  Yeah, he's probably getting paid a bit too much for what he brings to the table but he is still a threat out there and tends to play the game in a stable, solid manner and is perhaps our best faceoff guy.  The issue (and was my beef with acquiring him from the beginning) is that he is just paid too much for a 3rd line center but he isn't good enough to be a 2nd line center.  Once Henrik retires, if we have a replacement for the 2nd line NOT named Sutter then great.  However, he might have to fill the gap until Pettersson is ready.

3 hours ago, kanucks25 said:

IMO both have negative value because of their contracts with Eriksson's contract being pretty close to unmovable.

Perhaps but at least not like Seabrook in Chicago or Brown with LA.   

We could likely move Sutter right now if need be, but I wouldn't unless some young guys come up faster than expected to revamp the center pool on the roster. 

Sutter can play wing/center, kill PK and is a RHD center who is decent in the dot. He can score 15-20 g a year and is very much needed on our current roster. 

We have Eriksson for two more years at least. That is if he starts producing this year and continues into next season we may be able to unload his contract with some salary held back at that point. 

The only orher way we can can move him is if we pay someone to take his cap hit. Say good bye to a 1st rounder.  No thanks to that. 

One can either hope he bounces back.  The only way we can get out from that contract otherwise is if he retires or gets a career ending injury. 

Honestly see both on the roster for two more years and think we make a move with some

of our younger players if there is too much depth. 

Calling it now... Elder or Tanev gets moved prior to either Sutter or Eriksson.  

EmW

Archived