The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(proposal) VAN - NYI

2018 draft is currently envisioned to be deep with quality prospects likely through entire first round.   NYI is only team with two first round picks (currently) having theirs and Calgary's.   NYI  almost made playoffs last year (curious their best hockey near end of season was without Tavares in lineup but that is another discussion) and Flames were just a playoff team - either team could go up or down next year so depending upon who you have more faith in.    Point is, NYI may be open to one of the two picks and may be feel different about which one is more valuable to them so will leave specific pick out of this - for now, let's assume they have equal value.

Proposal is as follows (based upon what NYI seem to need and may pique their interest to start a discussion):

Vancouver sends - former first round (11th overall) pick and known commodity Brandon Sutter and future considerations

NYI sends - the first round pick of their choosing.

The future considerations are:

- if pick Vancouver receives is 1 to 5, Canucks surrender their 2nd round pick 2018 and 3rd round 2019

- if pick Vancouver receives is 6 to 10, Canucks surrender their 2nd round pick 2018

- if pick is 11th or later, Canucks surrender nothing more

While I don't think this totally "gets it done", NYI needs a veteran center who can also play wing and who can PK and win faceoffs.   Sutter is a known commodity and plays well in the east.   

I don't think Sutter with his contract is worth a 1st round pick especially an unprotected 1st round pick. I think he is a useful player but that contract kills whatever value he brings to the table. For now I would rather keep him as I doubt anyone would offer much more than a cap dump. He is useful to the Canucks as they can throw the hardest matchups at him which gives a guy like Bo the opportunity to excel offensively.

So, where are you getting that they need a center that can play wing?  While I don't see that as being a particular need, even if it was they have Anders Lee and Brock Nelson capable of doing so.  Besides that, with Nelson, Tavares, Cizikas and likely Barzal joining next season, I just don't see where they'd have the room for Sutter.

I think I'd sooner try a trade involving Barzal (BC boy) to Vancouver for Sutter.  Then at least he can fill the spot left, and gives them a "right-now" presence instead of a future presence... which might be of interest to Snow given that he seems to think their window is now. 

55 minutes ago, kloubek said:

So, where are you getting that they need a center that can play wing?  While I don't see that as being a particular need, even if it was they have Anders Lee and Brock Nelson capable of doing so.  Besides that, with Nelson, Tavares, Cizikas and likely Barzal joining next season, I just don't see where they'd have the room for Sutter.

I think I'd sooner try a trade involving Barzal (BC boy) to Vancouver for Sutter.  Then at least he can fill the spot left, and gives them a "right-now" presence instead of a future presence... which might be of interest to Snow given that he seems to think their window is now. 

Garth Snow said that on draft day; wanting to a veteran presence to take load off JT in some key situations.   I think he feels a  need to demonstrate to Tavares he wants to be competitive "now".    One way to do that AND address a need he said they had is to use one of the extra picks he has.   Likely not with this trade but I wouldn't be shocked if this or something similar happened.

1 hour ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Garth Snow said that on draft day; wanting to a veteran presence to take load off JT in some key situations.   I think he feels a  need to demonstrate to Tavares he wants to be competitive "now".    One way to do that AND address a need he said they had is to use one of the extra picks he has.   Likely not with this trade but I wouldn't be shocked if this or something similar happened.

Fair enough.  

While Sutter could be useful in key situations, I would imagine his point production doesn't take as much heat of Tavares as he would like.  I think they would be better served getting a quality 2nd line center in that case, and Sutter really isnt one.  (Even if we are paying him as such).

In general, I could see a cup-ready team being able to add a guy like Sutter to compliment their lineup, with a return of picks or a young prospect.  Really, a win-win scenario for both teams.  Not certain this is that scenario, but I like the thinking that went into this at least.

Archived