The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canucks re-sign Michael Chaput

Vancouver, BC - Vancouver Canucks General Manager Jim Benning announced today that the club has re-signed centre Michael Chaput to a one-year, one-way contract at $687,500.

Chaput, 25, recorded nine points in 68 games in his first year with the Canucks. He set career highs in goals (4), assists (5), points (9) and games played (68) in 2016.17. He also hit the 100 career NHL game milestone on Feb. 9 at Columbus.

Prior to joining the Canucks, Chaput played three seasons with the Columbus Blue Jackets. He has accumulated 17 points (6-11-17) over the span of 126 career NHL games with Vancouver and Columbus. 

In 2015.16, Chaput tallied 45 points (16-29-45) in 63 regular season games with Lake Erie in the American Hockey League. He added eight points (2-6-8) in 17 playoff games as part of the Calder Cup winning Lake Erie Monsters. 

In junior, the Ile Bizard, Quebec native won the Stafford Smythe Trophy as the Memorial Cup MVP when he was a member of the Memorial Cup winning Shawinigan Cataractes in 2012. 

The 6-2, 202-pound centre first signed with Vancouver as a free agent on July 1, 2016. 

https://www.nhl.com/canucks/news/canucks-re-sign-michael-chaput/c-290390686

• -Vintage Canuck- changed the title to [Signing] Canucks re-sign Michael Chaput

He doesn't get the respect he deserves. He's young and was surprisingly good last year (from the few games I've watched).

Great depth forward to help us develop our prospects properly.

Hopefully Bo is next, can't wait to see that contract, really going to set the tone of the future.

Good.  Depth players like him are needed.  Whether it be as a 13th forward, a dependable player to take a regular shift for an injured player for a couple of weeks or as a body to help out in Utica.  Just shouldn't be a Plan A.

Well done Jimbo... no point heading to arbitration and upsetting the guy. 

I wish they'd give these guys 100-200K more than they ask for... it goes a long way for a guy making under 1mill to give them confidence IMO. 

He must be happy with the 1 way though, he's got a big pay day.

Not sure about the 1 way thing but at this price, not a biggie if he is sent down though would think he would claimed as was a ppg player in junior  who became ppg player in AHL which shows development and if he even became a 0.5 ppg player in NHL would be a great 3/4 line player.   Has NHL skills but not sure he isn't overly generic and having any one elite skill to differentiate himself. 

Nice to see most haven't lumped him in with some other usual suspects in the thread yet.   He is a better player than that.

2 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Not sure about the 1 way thing but at this price, not a biggie if he is sent down though would think he would claimed as was a ppg player in junior  who became ppg player in AHL which shows development and if he even became a 0.5 ppg player in NHL would be a great 3/4 line player.   Has NHL skills but not sure he isn't overly generic and having any one elite skill to differentiate himself. 

Nice to see most haven't lumped him in with some other usual suspects in the thread yet.   He is a better player than that.

it being one way has absolutely no bearing on him having to clear waivers. 

Just now, tas said:

then why did you comment on it being one way? what difference does it make to you?

To me personally?   Nothing.   To me in the fantasy world where I am a NHL GM, a lot.

I would prefer fringe players to be on two-way to save a few bucks.   If I were a GM, I would want every possible $ in my back-pocket in a CAP world for injuries and opportunities.   That is what I meant and shouldn't have assumed you (or anyone else) could read my mind.   

1 minute ago, Rob_Zepp said:

To me personally?   Nothing.   To me in the fantasy world where I am a NHL GM, a lot.

I would prefer fringe players to be on two-way to save a few bucks.   If I were a GM, I would want every possible $ in my back-pocket in a CAP world for injuries and opportunities.   That is what I meant and shouldn't have assumed you (or anyone else) could read my mind.   

This deal being a 1 way deal has zero cap implications compared to what it would be on a 2 way deal (assuming he's sent down)  It's well under the threshold of what can be buried in the minors without counting agianst the cap. So if he's in the minors it doesn't count against the Canucks  cap at all.  

26 minutes ago, combover said:

With that price tag hopefully he gets claimed off waivers. 

nucks don't need anymore guys in the bottom six that don't have an ounce of physicality to there game. 

easily replaced and I think he already has  been. 

Is there anyone of anything you like about this team Mr Sunshine?

Archived