The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

East Van Woman Attacked by Crazy Racoon

nucklehead

dont fut wit east van raccoons.....serious, when i lived in east van in the mid 90's i had this nasty raccoon living in my attic....one day i tried to shew her away with a broom and it literally dove off the roof at my head to attack me.....i ducked and it did a faceplant and tumbled down my back steps.

1 hour ago, gurn said:

Many years ago in Squamish I was driving a volkswagon rabbit over the bridge just south of town, before Valleycliffe, and hit a raccoon at 50 mph. I got out of the car and found the raccoon with his fur split over his head to the point you could see his skull. The raccoon is twitching and bleeding everywhere, I didn't have a knife or an axe to put him down with so I threw him in the water hoping it would drown quickly. 2 hours later I'm driving the other way and I see this same raccoon, walking across the bridge. It looks at my car and I swear it recognized me, frickin  thing was extremely pissed, I did not get out of the car.

tldr- racoons are extremely tough and dangerous.

It's come looking for you, gurn, and will kill everyone that get's in it's way.

6 hours ago, Tre Mac said:

My idiot neighbour was feeding raccoons now they climb up her deck and can reach mine(my deck is a good 8' from the ground).   The coons are pretty relentless here in White Rock with all the developing going on in the area, I don't know if they're mating or ripping each other to shreds but the noise is very unsettling.  They either need to relocate them or cull them because it's getting out of hand.

I have idiot neighbors in White Rock who feed peanuts to squirrels...which in turn attract raccoons, which there is aplenty of in our 'hood.  A month or so ago, I heard a shriek that would curl anyone's toes, and it was a gang of 'coons that grabbed a squirrel and were tearing it to pieces. 

Just this morning, I was out walking my dogs at 5:30AM and what do I see?  A big fat mama 'coon with two pups.  My little dogs bark like mad and I see the mama 'coon posturing to guard her pups and/or take a run at my dogs.  This is where I picked up a bunch of good size rocks and start doing my best Osuna impersonation, and darn it all, I peg the big fat mama 'coon in the coconut.  If I took that rock off my head, I would be down for the count.  But all I did was make her mad...so like a coward, I ran off with my little dogs to take cover.  Now I'm worried...I'm going to have an angry raccoon who is going to be stalking me and my dogs on the mean streets of White Rock.  True story.

STORY TIME

I was walking home from gym at 2am. Bus stop doesn't go to my house at that time. I was walking, about a block away from my street then the police pull up next to me and ask me what I am doing at this time? I told them I was walking from the gym and that it was 24/7. They said fair enough and started to drive away.

All of a sudden there was these two racoons that jumped in front of the police car fighting each other. The police car drives over them unexpectedly and the two racoons still are fighting after that.

One of the racoons rushed toward me then stopped about 10 feet away. I swear it was eyeballing me, sizing me up. It has a look in its eye "You ain't $&!#". Then the other racoon pretty much jumped the one staring at me as I slowly walked past them. Being run over didn't even phase them.

While this is occurring  the cops are slowly driving away as if nothing was happening.

It was a weird series of events

giphy.gif

This is why wild animals get too comfortable with humans.  I live north of Sechelt, if a raccoon comes on my property I chase them away with a shovel.  Treat them like a wild animals, which is exactly what they are.  If you treat wild animals like pets or circus animals, you get aggressive animals looking for food, and when they don't get it, they get angry.  On a side note, feeding wild animals junk food is really dumb, not to mention irresponsible, and people that do it should be beaten with a length of rubber hose...in my opinion.  

On another side note, that lady was smart to take more the abuse from the raccoon herself and save her dog from more bites and scratches, I know firsthand how costly a vet bill can be after a raccoon fight...in my case it was my dog initiating the fight, so I don't blame the raccoon for defending itself, but I do aggressively chase them away.

OK, one more side note.  The pic of her shorts is disgusting, and she may require Chipotlaway

Spoiler

gina-chiarelli.JPG

Spoiler

giphy.gif

Lived on 49th Ave near Boundary Road in Vancouver for 20 years and i was going to the bank machine at the Esso on the corner one morning at about 6 AM when i came face to face with a female racoon and her kids, needless to say went the long way to the Esso that morning.:lol:

Maybe raccoons are less angry on the east coast...  Or they know that most of us in the US have guns. :lol:

I had one 2 summers ago get caught in a small animal trap that I had set up trying to catch a cat.  I walked up to the trap, removed the towel, and since it was still pretty dark out, thought I had caught the cat.  I pet it through the cage figuring the cat would be scared, but as soon as I touched it and felt the wiry hair, I had no doubt that I had accidentally caught a raccoon.  It was pretty scared and had soiled itself and the cage. 

I just opened the cage and he took off and hid.  End of story.  I've never had a problem with aggressive raccoons and neither has anybody else that I know.

52 minutes ago, SabreFan1 said:

Maybe raccoons are less angry on the east coast...  Or they know that most of us in the US have guns. :lol:

I had one 2 summers ago get caught in a small animal trap that I had set up trying to catch a cat.  I walked up to the trap, removed the towel, and since it was still pretty dark out, thought I had caught the cat.  I pet it through the cage figuring the cat would be scared, but as soon as I touched it and felt the wiry hair, I had no doubt that I had accidentally caught a raccoon.  It was pretty scared and had soiled itself and the cage. 

I just opened the cage and he took off and hid.  End of story.  I've never had a problem with aggressive raccoons and neither has anybody else that I know.

Them raccoons from Canada are fearless.

16 hours ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

So the CBC has an article on the same incident, and in it, they state that doctors told her she didn't need a rabies shot because there were no locally documented cases of rabies in raccoons for 20 years.  

Given the fact that raccoons are vectors for the rabies virus, I would strongly question the professional opinion of the doctors.  Just because there are no documented cases doesn't mean that it's not possible.  If anything, it could be a failure of the detector (ie. to detect rabies in the raccoon population) and not an accurate state of the situation.

CBC article at http://www.cbc.ca/radio/asithappens/as-it-happens-thursday-edition-1.4202969/like-a-crazed-tasmanian-devil-vancouver-woman-and-her-dog-mauled-by-raccoon-1.4202971

As would I. I think in this case that "better safe than sorry" would be the correct course of action....:huh:

In any event, does anyone else think that "Crazy Raccoon" sounds like the name of a 60's band?

3 minutes ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

More raccoons = less little, useless, yappy dogs.

Happy ending.

Either get a bigger dog or carry a hockey stick.

When did humans become so pathetic and inferior to vermin? Stay inside your Starbucks, metros. It's a safe space. 

When humans became vermin.

Archived