The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Flames re-sign Michael Ferland

10 hours ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

King of straw. Apparently stating a gm has been good at signing players a good value is the same as saying he's never made a single mistake. 

Yes brouwer is over priced. he's s lot like eriksson. A ufa signing (which are typically always over priced) that hasn't lived up to the contract. Could he turn it around. Maybe but it's still a overpriced contract. Gio is also going to be overpriced at the end of his term. 

Johnny, Sean, versteeg, ferklund, Hamilton, Brodie, are all players brad has had to resign. And he's been able to all get them below market value and lock up his core at a reasonable rate. He's done a good job

I thought the Stone signing was a good deal as well.

3 hours ago, Nucksfollower1983 said:

ok, but that still doesn't answer my question. what does Ferkland mean and how is it an insult?

“It looked like they were trying to get that going (the rough stuff) for a few shifts before,” Bieksa said about the brawl. “That ‘Ferklund,’ or whatever his name is, was running around trying to get something going.

"It’s not the first time we have seen that in playoffs," he added. "We have played against Ben Eager and some other dumb-dumbs like that before. So we know how to handle that.”

Read more: http://www.digitaljournal.com/sports/canucks-kevin-bieksa-calls-flames-michael-ferland-dumb-dumb/article/431096#ixzz4mrmGpyiw

4 hours ago, Nucksfollower1983 said:

ok, but that still doesn't answer my question. what does Ferkland mean and how is it an insult?

Just part of Bieksa's witty humour. Act like you have never heard of a guy by intentionally mispronouncing his name.

Just now, GarthButcher5 said:

Just part of Bieksa's witty humour. Act like you have never heard of a guy or that he's a nobody by intentionally mispronouncing his name.

On 2017-07-14 at 6:04 AM, ForsbergTheGreat said:

King of straw.

Derp.  I've never seen you complain about the Sutter signing - (wasn't really about you, so check your ego) - and if you read the post, what I said is that I would have signed Brouwer myself if it were up to me.

On 2017-07-14 at 10:35 AM, Boudrias said:

Bang on with Sutter comment. 

I have liked Ferland since he knocked the Canucks on their butts a few years back. He had to play that game to stick and now his talent is taking over. I was hoping that Virtanen would be going to the Ferland summer camp. 

I like Ferland as well.  He has a solid combination of grit, skating and some ability to chip in.  He was very effective against Van in the playoffs - but then he took a Sami Vatanen elbow early in the next round and it was a huge blow to Calgary.

Guys like him tend to be pretty under-rated imo - the cap he just signed for is a real bargain for what he brings, and enables Calgary some extra flexibility as a result.

On 7/14/2017 at 5:03 PM, riffraff said:

Leftover butthurt.

Bottom line is the garbage he pulled in that series was unacceptable  It's mostly on the refs for not holding him accountable,  but it was disapppointing to see him skate away under his own power after Bieksa had enough.

Ferlund should consider himself lucky he's not on the Steve Moore retirement plan.

8 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Bottom line is the garbage he pulled in that series was unacceptable  It's mostly on the refs for not holding him accountable,  but it was disapppointing to see him skate away under his own power after Bieksa had enough.

Ferlund should consider himself lucky he's not on the Steve Moore retirement plan.

I'd say he was completely 100% effective against our much more playoff experienced team.  That was the saddest part.

ferland did nothing close to what Steve Moore did fwiw.

its playoff hockey.  Everyone knows the refs pocket the whistle.  

Bottom line is:  we need our own ferland.

52 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

:wacko:

19 hours ago, riffraff said:

I'd say he was completely 100% effective against our much more playoff experienced team.  That was the saddest part.

ferland did nothing close to what Steve Moore did fwiw.

its playoff hockey.  Everyone knows the refs pocket the whistle.  

Bottom line is:  we need our own ferland.

Ferland exposed a Canuck inability to respond to a physical force. An inability to change a game plan that was not good enough. While no where close to the same quality of roster in 2011 some of the characteristics were the same.   

3 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

Ferland exposed a Canuck inability to respond to a physical force. An inability to change a game plan that was not good enough. While no where close to the same quality of roster in 2011 some of the characteristics were the same.   

Re-exposed. this has been obvious to most fans for years but surprisingly not to those in charge of acquiring players.

17 hours ago, riffraff said:

Re-exposed. this has been obvious to most fans for years but surprisingly not to those in charge of acquiring players.

Can't agree with you there.

Kassian was a recognition of the Gillis admin that the team needed a bit more balance of toughness.

Likewise, that was no doubt part of the consideration in the Pedan, Dorsett, Gudbranson deals.

The signing of McEwen.  Drafting Gadjovich.  Tryamkin in a different sense.

How effective - or healthy - those players have been may be debatable, but I doubt it hasn't been obvious to management as well.

However, guys that can play and 'expose' opponents aren't exactly in abundance - really, most teams, even the 'heavy' teams in the west, only have a few at best.

Which Flames, aside from Ferland, are going to expose teams with their physical force?   And really, what Ferland was doing was simply hitting (and perhaps crossing the line into charging) - but when you get down to it, wasn't too willing to answer Bieksa....(and who can blame him - Juice aims to inflict damage and is a dangerous middleweight imo).  His "Ferklund" comments are a rare incidence of trash talk ineffectiveness on his part, but anyone that coins the term "milk hotdogs" has a pretty fair sized trash bank account to spend.

Aside from, ironically, Kassian, are we supposed to fear Maroon (two of the most awkward turtle performances I've ever seen in 'fights' with Kassian)..... or Lucic?

Kesler?  What Duck, aside from Kesler or Biekas (again, ironically) is going to push Vancouver's buttons?

David Backes.  Needed an answer to that.  Hanzal.

Joe Thornton?  Logan Couture? 

One rat Kadri and Matt Martin enough to 'expose' Vancouver?  It doesn't necessarily take a Gudbranson to answer in kind - anyone should be able to run a Marner or Nylander - and should.

Not all that many guys around the league, really, that would cause you to alter the way you build your team that significantly.

That said - not many things I regret more than seeing Kassian pack his bags.  He single-handedly changed the tone of many games for this franchise.  Definitely miss that presence and hate watching this team without a guy like Gudbranson in the lineup, or at least Dorsett, who may not be the pound for pound that Rypien was, but at least he's as willing.

5 hours ago, oldnews said:

Can't agree with you there.

Kassian was a recognition of the Gillis admin that the team needed a bit more balance of toughness.

Likewise, that was no doubt part of the consideration in the Pedan, Dorsett, Gudbranson deals.

The signing of McEwen.  Drafting Gadjovich.  Tryamkin in a different sense.

How effective - or healthy - those players have been may be debatable, but I doubt it hasn't been obvious to management as well.

However, guys that can play and 'expose' opponents aren't exactly in abundance - really, most teams, even the 'heavy' teams in the west, only have a few at best.

Which Flames, aside from Ferland, are going to expose teams with their physical force?   And really, what Ferland was doing was simply hitting (and perhaps crossing the line into charging) - but when you get down to it, wasn't too willing to answer Bieksa....(and who can blame him - Juice aims to inflict damage and is a dangerous middleweight imo).  His "Ferklund" comments are a rare incidence of trash talk ineffectiveness on his part, but anyone that coins the term "milk hotdogs" has a pretty fair sized trash bank account to spend.

Aside from, ironically, Kassian, are we supposed to fear Maroon (two of the most awkward turtle performances I've ever seen in 'fights' with Kassian)..... or Lucic?

Kesler?  What Duck, aside from Kesler or Biekas (again, ironically) is going to push Vancouver's buttons?

David Backes.  Needed an answer to that.  Hanzal.

Joe Thornton?  Logan Couture? 

One rat Kadri and Matt Martin enough to 'expose' Vancouver?  It doesn't necessarily take a Gudbranson to answer in kind - anyone should be able to run a Marner or Nylander - and should.

Not all that many guys around the league, really, that would cause you to alter the way you build your team that significantly.

That said - not many things I regret more than seeing Kassian pack his bags.  He single-handedly changed the tone of many games for this franchise.  Definitely miss that presence and hate watching this team without a guy like Gudbranson in the lineup, or at least Dorsett, who may not be the pound for pound that Rypien was, but at least he's as willing.

Nice one.

On 7/14/2017 at 0:03 PM, coryberg said:

Problem is virtanen actually has to follow the rules. I've seen ferkland dish out super late hits while leaving his feet with no consequences.

I disagree. 

The problem isn't that he had to follow the rules; the problem is that he did follow the rules. As a fan of good, hard nosed hockey, and a former player, one answers the bell when one has to, no matter the rules or the consequences. Ferland behaves the way he does because he knows there's no Canuck willing to answer it. If he leaves his feet, wait for your chance and lay him out, with or without the puck. Put him out of hockey for a couple months.

I see a lot of hate for Chicago and Boston for the same reasons. The bottom line is, no Canuck did anything about it. We just, simply, didn't have that kind of team. Duncan Keith, Dustin Byfuglein, Zdano Chara and Brad Marchand all do what they do because no one holds them accountable. Until that changes, it will keep happening.

Archived