The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] Brandon Sutter for Ryan Nugent-Hopkins

2 hours ago, Canadian Clay said:

With McDavid and Draisital as Edmonton's 1, 2 punch at centre, and the fact that RNH has a 6 milllion dollar cap hit, it would make sense that the Oilers would look to ship him out and replace him with a more appropriate 3rd line centre. Enter Brandon Sutter. Sutter is a good face off man who can kill penalty's and move up the line up in a pinch. If the Canucks retain 500 k of Sutters salary, then the Oilers can trim over 2 million off their cap while  upgrading the checking abilities of their 3rd line, and the Canucks get a 24 year old, 40-50 point per season, two-way centre.

Thoughts?

Return Gagner to Edmonton instead of Sutter, and the Oil can save even more money ::D

9 hours ago, Canadian Clay said:

I think people are overrating rnh a lot on this thread. He's a decent middle six centre man on a pod team, but no good team would take him at that cap hit for four more years. This gives the Canucks leverage as they can absorb the cap hit to get younger, and still give Edmonton a shutdown veteran in return to replace rnh. Both sides benefit in this deal

Oilers have Strome for the 3c spot. Also oilers like having Draisaitl on McDavid wing. If RNH is moved he has to go down to their second pairing. Either way there is little chance any team trades their slightly overpaid second line center for a slightly over paid third line center

5 hours ago, EagleShield said:

And Sutter is really only a 4th liner

7 full seasons in NHL, fast, big, good on face-offs and has 120 goals and 228 points.   If this is your fourth line talent, you are a cup champion.

Sutter a career third liner for a guy that would be in the top 3 on this club. 

24years old  265pts in 395gp on a terrible team for 28 years old 228pts in 595gp 

if RNH was a canuck and someone suggested he get traded for Sutter  it would get ugly. 

Sutters  a good player but hes not worth RNH not straight up van would have to add quite a bit. 

While the value is certainly off, Edmonton isn't in a great place as far as the cap is concerned with still having to sign Draisaitl.  And all the GMs know this.  I could potentially see them giving up RNH for less than he is worth, and don't actually see this as that much of a stretch proposal when Sutter is the kind of player they can use more than RNH. Throw in a prospect maybe.

Hockeydownunder is right though - with the recent addition of Strome, they really would have to put Sutter on their 4th line which makes him even less useful there than he is on the Canucks as our 3rd line center.

14 hours ago, Canadian Clay said:

With McDavid and Draisital as Edmonton's 1, 2 punch at centre, and the fact that RNH has a 6 milllion dollar cap hit, it would make sense that the Oilers would look to ship him out and replace him with a more appropriate 3rd line centre. Enter Brandon Sutter. Sutter is a good face off man who can kill penalty's and move up the line up in a pinch. If the Canucks retain 500 k of Sutters salary, then the Oilers can trim over 2 million off their cap while  upgrading the checking abilities of their 3rd line, and the Canucks get a 24 year old, 40-50 point per season, two-way centre.

Thoughts?

These RNH to Van proposals need to stop!  WE DO NOT NEED HIM and his 6million a year contract.

We have Horvat, Gaudette, Pettersson for the future who i think will or already is better than RNH.

Sutter scored 34 points last year and was a stud in circle and on the PK , RNH's extra 10 pts a season is not worth 6 mil especially for how bad he is on the draw and how soft he is. I'd rather have Sutter any day of the week.

Yeah, we don't need another C, as the Canucks future is Pettersson, Horvat and Gaudette at C. BUT, I wouldn't be upset with Sutter and Rodin for Puljujarvi.

Dahlen - Pettersson - Boeser

Baertschi - Horvat - Puljujarvi

3 hours ago, Rob_Zepp said:

7 full seasons in NHL, fast, big, good on face-offs and has 120 goals and 228 points.   If this is your fourth line talent, you are a cup champion.

7 full seasons just means coaches and GMs are wrong about what makes a good NHLer. His scoring rate per hour is nowhere near as impressive his points totals make out - he gets ice time like Seguin, Okposo and Benn! If he was playing the 8 minutes a night the possession stats say he should, he'd have 80-100 points career. Of the Sedin's 13 consistent linemates since 2008, his is the only combo with negative Corsi.

His possession stats put him as a 13th forward or 4th line centre. His G/60 is at a 3rd line rate, but Primary Points/60 is definitely 4th line material.

Pittsburgh offloaded him and then won back to back championships...

14 hours ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

While EDM certainly doesn't make this deal with the addition of Strome, I'm all for moving Sutter for whatever we can get for him. 

Our young, skilled players will never reach the offensive heights they might be capable of playing with a poor possession player with a distinct lack of playmaking ability like Sutter. I very much so worry about the habits players like Goldobin, Boeser, Granlund, etc... will develop if they have to play with Sutter for extended periods of time.

I'd much rather have Gagne centering our 3rd line than Sutter. 

you really are a flavour of the day , shiny new toy kind of person

you realize gagne was having trouble staying in the league last off season

the role he played last year was very specific and sheltered as torts did not rely on him as other coaches would as a 3rd line centre

he may very likely fail in a full time 3C role

yet you think he is better than sutter who is a very established nhl centre

i think you will be surprised to see the flaws in gagne's game when he does play for the canucks

he likely will perform well on the power play.. that seems to be his strength

he likely will perform more poorly than sutter on 5 - 5 situations

3 hours ago, combover said:

24years old  265pts in 395gp on a terrible team for 28 years old 228pts in 595gp 

if RNH was a canuck and someone suggested he get traded for Sutter  it would get ugly. 

Sutters  a good player but hes not worth RNH not straight up van would have to add quite a bit. 

Might be worth it to throw it out there not even wanting the trade but if it happens it happens.

32 minutes ago, EagleShield said:

Pittsburgh offloaded him and then won back to back championships...

Then I forgot to add he should have also won two Conn Smythes as clearly he played a massive role in those victories.  

4 hours ago, combover said:

Yeah I threw this out there more as a starting offer, I imagine the Canucks would need to add more, but due to rnh' contract the Canucks should be able to get him at a relative bargain. I also don't think Edmonton becomes a worse team after this trade, since all their offence comes from their first two lines. They may value a shutdown centre over a 2-way centre, even if the 2-way centre is the better player. 

3 hours ago, canuckmen84 said:

These RNH to Van proposals need to stop!  WE DO NOT NEED HIM and his 6million a year contract.

We have Horvat, Gaudette, Pettersson for the future who i think will or already is better than RNH.

Sutter scored 34 points last year and was a stud in circle and on the PK , RNH's extra 10 pts a season is not worth 6 mil especially for how bad he is on the draw and how soft he is. I'd rather have Sutter any day of the week.

The fact that we don't need rnh gives us all the leverage in this deal and allows us to dictate the terms. Oilers are handcuffed in rnh's contract and need to unload him. We have 14 million coming off the cap next season when the sedins contract ends (even if they sign 3 mill each after their contracts end, it's still 8 million in additional cap). We should take advantage of this situation and grab rnh for below market value

3 minutes ago, Canadian Clay said:

The fact that we don't need rnh

Don't need him or want him.

14 minutes ago, Canadian Clay said:

Oilers are handcuffed in rnh's contract and need to unload him.

That's because he is an over payed softy. If he was that valuable they would find a way to keep him. Why should we trade for him and be handcuffed in in the future ?

5 minutes ago, Canadian Clay said:

We have 14 million coming off the cap next season when the sedins contract ends (even if they sign 3 mill each after their contracts end, it's still 8 million in additional cap). We should take advantage of this situation and grab rnh for below market value

Yes i agree, but not by acquiring RNH. Sedins will resign and for more then 3 mil...

Pure blood Oilers have no place on this team. 

And like i said he is not worth 6 mil, he would become a cap burden for us in the future.

20 minutes ago, canuckmen84 said:

Yes i agree, but not by acquiring RNH. Sedins will resign and for more then 3 mil...

Pure blood Oilers have no place on this team. 

And like i said he is not worth 6 mil, he would become a cap burden for us in the future.

Nugent-Hopkins and Sutter have the same contract length, and the trade I'm proposing would only increase our cap hit by a little over 2 million per year. Most of our prospects will be still on, or just finishing their ecl's when the nugent-Hopkins contract expires, so we're not missing out on resigning anyone. He'd serve as a good stop gap and will be more valuable at the trade deadline in his final year as a rental when he is 28 compared to sitter who will be in his early 30's. He's not a cap burden if we can afford him without compromising any future signings. 

Also so not sure why you think the sedins will be signed for more than 3 million?? Seems pretty fair based on their age, point production, and loyalty

2 minutes ago, Canadian Clay said:

Nugent-Hopkins and Sutter have the same contract length, and the trade I'm proposing would only increase our cap hit by a little over 2 million per year. Most of our prospects will be still on, or just finishing their ecl's when the nugent-Hopkins contract expires, so we're not missing out on resigning anyone. He'd serve as a good stop gap and will be more valuable at the trade deadline in his final year as a rental when he is 28 compared to sitter who will be in his early 30's. He's not a cap burden if we can afford him without compromising any future signings. 

Also so not sure why you think the sedins will be signed for more than 3 million?? Seems pretty fair based on their age, point production, and loyalty

Isn't Sutter the far better player though?  He gets just as many goals, and plays a defensive role that RNH is not capable.  

4 minutes ago, Canadian Clay said:

lso so not sure why you think the sedins will be signed for more than 3 million?? Seems pretty fair based on their age, point production, and loyalty

So 50 point Sedins are worth 3 mil but a 43 point Nuge is worth 6mill ?

Archived