The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] Brandon Sutter for Ryan Nugent-Hopkins

6 hours ago, combover said:

Sutter a career third liner for a guy that would be in the top 3 on this club. 

24years old  265pts in 395gp on a terrible team for 28 years old 228pts in 595gp 

if RNH was a canuck and someone suggested he get traded for Sutter  it would get ugly. 

Sutters  a good player but hes not worth RNH not straight up van would have to add quite a bit. 

This ^

29 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

Stopped reading there.

If you're going to try and make some sort of a point, maybe don't start your post off with an insult.

righto

but feel free to disparage sutter

just cuz you can

not sure you can set rules about how i respond to postings

good luck trying

9 minutes ago, coastal.view said:

not sure you can set rules about how i respond to postings

Well, I actually totally can thanks to the ignore function.

But here's a tip before I send you into the deep unknown that is my ignore list- If you want to engage in a proper discussion with someone, don't act like a complete dunce.

- Regards

For what it's worth, RNH was paid $140k per point last year and BSutter was paid $97k per point.   More to value of a player than points but thought it was interesting how much more RHN's contributions in terms of offence cost.

Had also proposed these two as the trade-basis, coupla' wks back.

We needn't be drama queens. When suggesting to ship out a player, some fans react like one is promoting to eat babies for brunch. It's not an indictment of Sutter, nor a love-in for RNH. In this cap-era, we can all agree there are a host of variables that play in to all player transactions.

At this point, with both club's trajectories & cap-scenarios, I think it's a pretty reasonable argument to say these two blokes better suit the opposite team's needs.

I know this is a Sutter for RNH proposal

But what about

Sutter for Strome?

Sutter is an ideal 3C, dont think Strome is, not in a defensive role anyway.

Sutter, Megna/Boucher

for

Strome, Fayne(50% retained)

At the end of the day i believe the writer of this proposal was looking at two things, 1st is cap relief for the oiler's, second for more Off upside to the Canucks. As much as I like the direction, I don't think the Oiler's do this. Dri, and Mac are a great tandem, RNH and Strome may make a good second line, by keeping 2 centres on each line, you control the off and Def zone face off's, or hope too. And with Lucic, and Maroon one on each line gives you some muscle back up. Edm just needs to shore up their D a bit, and will be a force to contend with for the next 4 seasons. I would rather look at other teams, that may have some possibilities of good player's the Canucks may raid. LOL. who can we steal from LA, or Stl. Minni, or Nash. Another deal like the one for Bear, Grandland. Good players will be hard to land, they are the base for every team, but when log jams happen a team like Van can be in a great position to lend a hand. (Wink, Wink).

19 hours ago, Yotes said:

But what about

Sutter for Strome?

Sutter, Megna/Boucher

for

I like the idea of acquiring Strome but I don't think Sutter's cap hit would work for the Oilers. Taking Strome and Fayne only gives them relief for this year.

Also as little as I value Sutter due to his contract, he's good to have to help shelter our young players on the defensive end of things

22 hours ago, Yotes said:

But what about

Sutter for Strome?

Sutter, Megna/Boucher

for

Why  would Edmonton trade Eberle for Strome If they didn't see a fit for him there?  I can guarantee you they didn't make that trade in order to have the piece to acquire Sutter and Megna. Lol 

4 hours ago, The Lock said:

Call me crazy but I don't think this is a bad trade overall. Edmonton gets more grit. We get more skill.

I think what it comes down to is what would we want more of? Grit or skill?

we have no grit, we need all the skill possible and hope some of it pans out

1 minute ago, Yotes said:

we have no grit, we need all the skill possible and hope some of it pans out

lol It probably ends up being one of those trades that are like "whatever" in the end....

But not without 12938619238 topics on CDC about it of course.

On 13/07/2017 at 9:34 PM, Art Vandelay said:

I would argue Nugent-Hopkins is a better 2-way center than sutter, PK aside.

So saying that, the value is really far off with your reasoning. Add in that he is a much better player offensively, and he is younger. 

Oilers will probably have to move him at some point to trim some cap space... although maybe not with Eberle off the books.   They certainly will be a force up the middle if they can manage to keep all three for a few years....

• 5 weeks later...

Wonder if it's time to revisit such a notion? I'd possibly retain a mill on Sutter..maybe they toss in a pick?

Lots of HF Edmonchuk fans suggesting they punt Nuge & his 6 mill contract. We'd have plenty of space to accomodate that price tag..taking us to a time when Petterson would turn 22. It could be a smart acquisition for both teams.

Problem with moving Sutter is that then we don't have a Sutter anymore. Say what you want about his limited offensive skill set, being 'overpaid' etc but we need a guy capable of taking Dzone starts, PK'ing etc.

Unless people would like that to fall entirely on Horvat's shoulders, pretty much ensuring less offensive production (and possibly growth) from him?

It's all well and good to say 'we need more offense' but that doesn't necessarily mean you should weaken yourself elsewhere to get it.

We're rebuilding. It's going to take time but we have offense coming (Boeser, Goldobin, Dahlen, Pettersson etc). I see very little reason to cut ourselves off at the knees to add what equates to a very expensive, granted talented (though only moderately productive) offensive player. Especially after adding a not dissimilar Gagner for no assets and 1/2 the cap hit this past summer.

By all means there's possibly a proposal out there that could make sense with us exchanging say one of our LW's (Baer?) for RNH + additional assets (2018 1st? Yamamoto?) for the relative cap dump. But Sutter, IMO, is not the answer.

RNH, Horvat, Boeser/Eriksson

Sedin, Sedin, Gagner 

...wouldn't be a horrible top 6 (plus assets).

On 13/07/2017 at 9:23 PM, Canadian Clay said:

With McDavid and Draisital as Edmonton's 1, 2 punch at centre, and the fact that RNH has a 6 milllion dollar cap hit, it would make sense that the Oilers would look to ship him out and replace him with a more appropriate 3rd line centre. Enter Brandon Sutter. Sutter is a good face off man who can kill penalty's and move up the line up in a pinch. If the Canucks retain 500 k of Sutters salary, then the Oilers can trim over 2 million off their cap while  upgrading the checking abilities of their 3rd line, and the Canucks get a 24 year old, 40-50 point per season, two-way centre.

Thoughts?

RNH could end up in a trade like this if the cap stays still after next season.  Not sure Sutter would be their target though, more likely someone with more potential and similar stats.  Good post though.

Archived