The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] Brandon Sutter for Ryan Nugent-Hopkins

3 hours ago, canuckmen84 said:

I would be furious If Tanev went to Edmonton or If Nuge was what was coming back in any trade with End.

RNH helps this team in no way, Sutter is more the type of center we need at this point in time. 

Gaudette will be in next year and pettersson the year after (prediction).

Put RNH on the wing where he is getting slammed into the boards like a fringey pylon??  NO Thanks! 

Don't worry.  RNH, like Hall and Eberle, is tainted goods.  Not much value, and no interest to JB.  (I hope!)

6 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Don't worry.  RNH, like Hall and Eberle, is tainted goods.  Not much value, and no interest to JB.  (I hope!)

How was Hall tainted goods?   Would love to have him on any team I was a GM for.  Taylor Hall is an elite talent.

1 minute ago, Rob_Zepp said:

How was Hall tainted goods?   Would love to have him on any team I was a GM for.  Taylor Hall is an elite talent.

Like Eberle, and RNH, has Hall made the playoffs?  Even Chirelli, after the Hall trade, said some players' values are lowered because of previous baggage.  Hence the "tainted" label.  

4 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Like Eberle, and RNH, has Hall made the playoffs?  Even Chirelli, after the Hall trade, said some players' values are lowered because of previous baggage.  Hence the "tainted" label.  

Taylor Hall was far and the way the best player on a series of completely crap teams - how is that his fault?   You should not get "baggage" from the rest of your team - only your own play.   Hockey is a team game and no one player can make any team either automatically good or bad.   Put McDavid on those same Oiler teams instead of Taylor Hall and you think they become playoff teams?   I sure don't.  

3 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Taylor Hall was far and the way the best player on a series of completely crap teams - how is that his fault?   You should not get "baggage" from the rest of your team - only your own play.   Hockey is a team game and no one player can make any team either automatically good or bad.   Put McDavid on those same Oiler teams instead of Taylor Hall and you think they become playoff teams?   I sure don't.  

Chirelli was the one who said Hall's value, like other players, was (is) lower than fans expect because of previous poor team results, and other issues.  Take McDavid off the current Oilers are they a playoff team?  The half season, while he was injured, the Oilers dropped like a rock in the standings.  

Anyway, I don't want RNH here.  He's not a top two centre, and is overpaid for what he does provide.  

I might consider Loui Errikson for RNH.  Though I doubt the Oilers would. 

24 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Chirelli was the one who said Hall's value, like other players, was (is) lower than fans expect because of previous poor team results, and other issues.  Take McDavid off the current Oilers are they a playoff team?  The half season, while he was injured, the Oilers dropped like a rock in the standings.  

Anyway, I don't want RNH here.  He's not a top two centre, and is overpaid for what he does provide.  

Chirelli has his opinion and I think he got fleeced in the Hall deal because of it.

I agree with you on RNH - only deal that makes sense for Oilers is trade for equal/better player in positional need with lesser cap hit and from Canucks that is Tanev - the return of RNH for Tanev would be poor asset management by the Canucks.

4 hours ago, Alflives said:

I don't want RNH here.  He's not a top two centre, and is overpaid for what he does provide.

Couldn't agree with you more, I think he would be a cap burden in the future as well.

4 hours ago, Alflives said:

I would rather have Eriksson, he is better than Nuge assuming last year was just a bad year, but i guess he is older . You are right that the oils wouldn't do that trade...they need A cap dump.

4 hours ago, Rob_Zepp said:

the return of RNH for Tanev would be poor asset management by the Canucks.

Indeed it would be. I really think Benning has no intention of moving Tanev for a long time. Tanev and Joulevi is solid moving forward. As the media's been saying "you trade Tanev and your just left needing a Tanev", the same can not be said for RNH  lol

RNH consistently puts up top-6 C numbers, and has a strong 2-way game (52% CF). He's young enough to still be in his prime in a couple of years, when hopefully the team is more competitive.

Not sure what all you guys saying "hard pass" are basing your assessments on. If the price is right (read: underpayment), hell yeah.

44 minutes ago, D-Money said:

RNH consistently puts up top-6 C numbers, and has a strong 2-way game (52% CF). He's young enough to still be in his prime in a couple of years, when hopefully the team is more competitive.

Not sure what all you guys saying "hard pass" are basing your assessments on. If the price is right (read: underpayment), hell yeah.

Yeah, he's certainly not the 1st overall pick that was expected of him. And yes, there are players drafted afterwards that are far better (ie: Scheifele); however, he's not as terrible as people think he is. He actually plays a responsible 200 foot game and plays hard, he's just a little soft. But there's no denying his skill.

1 hour ago, Monty said:

Yeah, he's certainly not the 1st overall pick that was expected of him. And yes, there are players drafted afterwards that are far better (ie: Scheifele); however, he's not as terrible as people think he is. He actually plays a responsible 200 foot game and plays hard, he's just a little soft. But there's no denying his skill.

Is RNH worth 6 mil for what he brings?  The Oilers got themselves into trouble by clearly overpaying their three young stars: Hall, Eberle, and RNH.  Yes RNH is skilled, but he's a couple million or more overpaid for what he brings.  Is he really any better than Sam Gagnier?  

17 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Is RNH worth 6 mil for what he brings?  

Lot's of players aren't worth what they are getting paid.  canucks have a few of our own that fall in that category.

17 minutes ago, Alflives said:

The Oilers got themselves into trouble by clearly overpaying their three young stars: Hall, Eberle, and RNH.  Yes RNH is skilled, but he's a couple million or more overpaid for what he brings.  Is he really any better than Sam Gagnier?  

Gagner has a career ppg of .577.  His most productive season was the 50 point mark which he reached for the first time at 27 years old.

RNH has a career ppg of .67.  He's broke the 50 point mark 3 times before he turned 23.  He's gotten far better in the defensive zone as he's started to put on weight.   He's under 25 and still still one heck of a player. 

1 minute ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

Lot's of players aren't worth what they are getting paid.  canucks have a few of our own that fall in that category.

Gagner has a career ppg of .577.  His most productive season was the 50 point mark which he reached for the first time at 27 years old.

RNH has a career ppg of .67.  He's broke the 50 point mark 3 times before he turned 23.  He's gotten far better in the defensive zone as he's started to put on weight.   He's under 25 and still still one heck of a player. 

How about Loui Eriksson for RNH?  Both get six million, so the money is a saw-off.  Likely Loui would help the Oilers more than RNH, as he is a more complete player.  

Just now, Alflives said:

How about Loui Eriksson for RNH?  Both get six million, so the money is a saw-off.  Likely Loui would help the Oilers more than RNH, as he is a more complete player.  

Oilers want to move RNH simply due to cap constraints.  They aren't getting rid of him because they don't feel he's good enough, if they could keep him they would.

Because of this, any return they get for him is going to be low cap. 

I don't think Chia-pet played this too swiftly. They BOUGHT OUT Pouliot. Now they gotta p!$$ 1.3 mill of cap down the drain the next 4 seasons. Every dollar of cap is precious to them with 2 C's pulling down 21,000,000 AAV.

I suggested this deal(thread I made) on June 29th:

Van: Sutter & Granny(later suggested Baer..either/or)

Edm: RNH & Pouliot

-we'd have eaten almost 5 mill in cap, extra hit. They could trade Granny(or another fwd, like Strome) after McD boosts the numbers

To me, a deal like this makes a Helluva' lot more sense, if you choose to keep the two big guns(which they did).

I'd think there were other teams that would've made such a deal(eg: Mtl, Canes, perhaps?) to land Nuge.

I don't like Edm..but if I were their fan, I'd wonder what the Hell Chia is doing?!

Archived