The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PTO] R.J. Umberger with Stars

He did single-handily dismantle the Montreal Canadiens that one playoff series.  Ended up with 10 goals in 17 games (along with 5 assists).

Not sure what he has left in the tank at age 35 and out of the league for a bit.... but if he can play 4th line, PP at league min, it wouldn't be a bad thing.  

12 minutes ago, Lancaster said:

He did single-handily dismantle the Montreal Canadiens that one playoff series.  Ended up with 10 goals in 17 games (along with 5 assists).

Not sure what he has left in the tank at age 35 and out of the league for a bit.... but if he can play 4th line, PP at league min, it wouldn't be a bad thing.  

I completely forgot about that series. He scored like 8 goals in 5 games. That was a massive peak moment. 

2 hours ago, bigbadcanucks said:

Every time Umberger's name is brought up, I think of Brian Campbell's big hit on him...

We're talking Brian Campbell here! Seriously a monster hit by Brian Campbell! Did Umberger have his eyes closed? Brian Campbell!:lol:

1 hour ago, Davisonfire said:

Omg I was so pissed after he refused to sign that I was laughing my ass off at the stupid look on his face when Brian freakin Campbell of all ppl flattened him. 

Another classic hit from a guy you'd least expect to throw a body check:

18 hours ago, Davisonfire said:

Omg I was so pissed after he refused to sign that I was laughing my ass off at the stupid look on his face when Brian freakin Campbell of all ppl flattened him. 

That was all on Brian Burke low balling him....he was offering RJ slightly more than half of what guys drafted after him were getting.  That should have been what got Burke fired....

On 2017-07-15 at 5:04 AM, GarthButcher5 said:

Who did the Canucks trade his rights for?

Seems to me it was Martin Rucinsky who Brian Burke seemed to think would help with a playoff run.

For some strange reason brian Burke offered him a 650 000 k entry level contract, which was odd.  The going rate at the time for 1st rounders was the entry maximum at 1.1 million, which most of the 2001 draftees were getting Mean while Kesler gets a 850 000 k offer right out of college, umberger gets 650 000 k when he should be getting 1.1 million.  Umberger a true sport in the end was willing to,sign for 900 000 k still which is low balling considering the season he just had but Burke still said no.  Eventually rangers get his rights offers a 250 000 k entry level contract, he becomes a ufa and ends up in Philly.  He had an ok career as a 2nd line centreman.

Archived