The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks have absolutely no star power!!!

trailers

3 hours ago, Team Bagues said:

Good old analyktics.... another point for the rusty sheriff's badge.

Ask the playoff teams how the Corsage rating went for them.

Whether you like it or not, plenty of teams, including the Canucks are using analytics now.  Like JB and other GMs have said, "it's one of the tools in their belt".

2 hours ago, S'all Good Man said:

anal-ytics eh? even better. Honestly I'm looking forward to the day when fans here don't care what eastern writers have to say, we need to grow up a little out here. 

As I said to the poster above...  Whether you like it or not, plenty of teams, including the Canucks are using analytics now.  Like JB and other GMs have said, "it's one of the tools in their belt".

About

Dom Luszczyszyn is a freelancer for The Hockey News. His passion for the game stems from his father, who enjoys yelling at the TV while watching. Dom has strong opinions on your favorite team based on numbers – and numbers only – because he doesn't watch the games, just his spreadsheets.

Not a word about astrology.  Figures.  Another one bites the (star)dust.

We could have star power.....

If we sign Jarome Iginla.   Apparently he's a tier 5.    The 27 pt 40 yr old is still on the star map lol.  

If only this team had an Anthony Mantha comparable - there's another option.

Get'er done JB.  We need us a star.  What would Iggy take?

Even the leftovers in the UFA market have more stars than us...

8 hours ago, ReggieBush said:

How is Tkatchuk in tier 3, yet Bo who outscored him this year (being deployed as a 3rd line center, and as a matchup guy) is not ranked? Bo had the same amount of points as Rikard Rakell, who is ranked. Same with Silverberg and Mikael Frolik.

Jarome friggin Iginla is a "star" lol.....so we do have a star.  But it's Trevor gd Linden.

7 hours ago, BowtieCanuck said:

Personally I would not be surprised to see Boeser as a candidate for the Calder next year.

Me neither.  The Hockey News had one writer predict the same not too long ago (albiet as a dark horse) so not all of them are just following the Leafs.  Good lord though, on that front the media over in TO practically is planning a parade after last year...

I really don't understand the rationale behind saying the Canucks don't have Star Power.

If you're defining 'star' as the Crosbys, McDavids, Ovechkins of the world, then the Canucks don't have any star power, but neither do a lot of other teams. If you're defining it as 'good players' then the Canucks are no worse off than a lot of other teams. So I don't see why we're getting singled out.

Why oh why do people get upset about this???? 

Is anyone on these boards in doubt, why we are rebuilding? So who gives a rats arse if some donut thinks we got no star power... Lets debate this in 4 years time...

Aside from Luongo, Vancouver historically is better at making thier own stars. Generally speaking high costing UFA's and stars coming from other teams don't really do well in Vancouver as they did when they established themselves in the first place i.e. Messier, Sundin etc. The True stars of Vancouver came from developing in Vancouver. McLein, Linden, Bure, Jovanovski, Ohlund, Naslund, Bertuzzi, Kesler, and the Sedins. There are no stars now because there was a gap in youngsters coming up because of the trading of so many picks and that's why we don't have any stars in the Canucks. Right now there may not be any stars on the team but from the look of prospects camp and the extra stock in the cuppard. I believe there are a couple of stars in the making. Who? I don't know players like Burrows have proven my predictions wrong too many times.

19 minutes ago, smokes said:

Aside from Luongo, Vancouver historically is better at making thier own stars. Generally speaking high costing UFA's and stars coming from other teams don't really do well in Vancouver as they did when they established themselves in the first place i.e. Messier, Sundin etc. The True stars of Vancouver came from developing in Vancouver. McLein, Linden, Bure, Jovanovski, Ohlund, Naslund, Bertuzzi, Kesler, and the Sedins. There are no stars now because there was a gap in youngsters coming up because of the trading of so many picks and that's why we don't have any stars in the Canucks. Right now there may not be any stars on the team but from the look of prospects camp and the extra stock in the cuppard. I believe there are a couple of stars in the making. Who? I don't know players like Burrows have proven my predictions wrong too many times.

Bert and Naslund weren't really developed in Vancouver and interestingly are the weakest names. I would add Burrows and Smyl to your list. Tanti? 

12 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

The Sedins are no longer stars? They continue to be at the top of the teams scoring at 36, have broken almost every Canucks record, we're top line players last year. They might not be as dynamic as they once were, but they still deserve star players respect. Bo is our next upcoming star, and Boeser, Pettersson, Juolevi and Demko could be stars one day. Be neat if THN wrote an article about how fast Benning filled the prospect pool from basically nothing, how the future could be very bright in Vancouver. Neat.  

no, unfortunately they are no longer stars, their careers are coming to an end

Archived