The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Looking back at the Gudbranson trade

NuckForReal!!!

We completely mishandled McCann and he still notched 9 goals and 9 assists with limited ice time. He's now buried in a bottom six role in Florida. 

I know stats don't fly here when they don't flatter our players but Guddy underwhelms in most categories. His deficiencies were covered with his defensively sound line mate in Mitchell though. Unfortunately for Hutton, he was paired up with a defender who's only strong attribute is clearing the crease.

Didn't like the trade then and don't like it now. If it means an overvalued contract extension, I'd prefer for us to cut our losses and not sign him.

2 minutes ago, guntrix said:

We completely mishandled McCann and he still notched 9 goals and 9 assists with limited ice time. He's now buried in a bottom six role in Florida. 

I know stats don't fly here when they don't flatter our players but Guddy underwhelms in most categories. His deficiencies were covered with his defensively sound line mate in Mitchell though. Unfortunately for Hutton, he was paired up with a defender who's only strong attribute is clearing the crease.

Didn't like the trade then and don't like it now. If it means an overvalued contract extension, I'd prefer for us to cut our losses and not sign him.

Severe.

wrist.

injury,

8 minutes ago, guntrix said:

Are we going to ignore the fact that he had a statistically similar year to those in Florida? 

Imo it's too early to right the guy off.

he was coveted by his coach and team mates.  He's young and he fills a need that the Canucks have had for years.

im pretty confident he will be re signed in a sensible deal based on his need to prove.

17 minutes ago, guntrix said:

Are we going to ignore the fact that he had a statistically similar year to those in Florida? 

With a new team, system and partner while injured? I'd say a similar year is a bonus under those circumstances. Almost guarantees improvement.

Not much room for 'character guys' in 2017, but every team needs one. Guddy is ours.

Especially with Dorsett not likely to slot in any time soon...

He just needs to minimize mistakes and stand up for guys when need be. I like him fine, but he definitely needs to bring more to this season.

53 minutes ago, guntrix said:

If he had a statistically similar season to Florida while having a wrist injury, that would mean he's improving then, no?

Guddy's not statistically friendly to begin with and is a specimen which shows how statistics alone says almost next to nothing about a player.

Just now, oldnews said:

Nonsense.  Elaborate if you can, but I doubt it.

I'm guessing the poster is referring to his point production....jeebus, the guy is a defensive defenseman - if he's doing his role, I could care less about his offensive production.

I'm willing to give him a "mulligan" for last season (ie., injury, new team, new system, etc.,)...

Like the deal - like a lot of things about Gudbranson - loved Willie Mitchell's response to the deal - think Travis Yost is a simple-minded moron masquerading as if he's 'analytical'.

Gudbranson = hard minutes, primary penalty killer, deterrent, backbone / hard to play against type player, "creates a safe working environment", makes guys like Matt Martin answer the bell, good speed/mobility, heavy shot when he has the opportunity, good first pass, great character (team-mates probably love the guy) - under-rated - right handed top 4 (rare asset) - a lot to value about this player and lots to look forward to.

Liked McCann as well but was willing to give him up for a guy like Gudbranson.  McCann has a waterbug quality about him - quick, good hands - but he seemed overwhelmed by the next step, he wasn't able to remain engaged and strong on the puck, and he'll need some time to build his confidence at the NHL level.  I did not like the idea of encouraging him to pack on weight for 'strength' - I think that's actually quite contrary to his strengths - his quickness and elusiveness - adding 20lbs to his young frame only hampers that imo.

Has the makings of a good pro-game though - aware defensive forward, gutsy player.  Hope he does well, but he's easier to replace in the lineup than a player like Gudbranson.  I also think McCann might be destined to be a winger conversion - not a particularly strong faceoff guy, and probably a better release than he has vision as a playmaker.   My guess would be that he'll be a fairly dynamic goal scoring winger who has a mindful defensive aspect to his game.  Good pick - and a good return on that pick in the Gud deal.

Archived