The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Rally in Front of Calgary City Hall Turns Violent

nucklehead

http://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/world/rally-in-front-of-calgary-city-hall-turns-violent/ar-BBEyr4b?li=AAadgLE&ocid=spartanntp

A rally in front of city hall erupted in violence on Sunday, as members of Calgary's Street Church clashed with anti-fascist protesters. 

The gathering was billed as In Defence of Christianity hosted by the group Canada For Jesus Christ, and was to feature controversial anti-LGBTQ and anti-abortion activist Bill Whattcott. 

With no police presence, the situation escalated and scuffles broke out between the groups, lasting for several minutes.

At one point, several people begin to push and shove on the sidewalk in front of city hall and some kicks and punches are thrown. The skirmish then moved onto Macleod Trail S.E., with several people fighting and kicks and punches being thrown.

EMS treated several people at the scene for minor injuries, however no one was taken to hospital. 

No arrests were made, but that could change, said Det. Keith Silvester.

"Investigators will be looking into it, going over video... and if we deem that arrests are necessary, people will be arrested and charged," he said.

The Christian group had a permit to host an event, said Silvester, and police didn't expect the opposing group to show up as well. 

Back in the day ('95ish), "The Canadian Heritage Front" tried to hold a rally in Victoria... It was total carnage. SHARP showed up, so did almost every punker from the mainland and Island. Those nazi losers got theirs. To my knowledge they never tried another white power rally in Vic.

Can't remember if it even made the paper, but there was nazi blood everywhere

49 minutes ago, SabreFan1 said:

Isn't Calgary the Texas of Canada?  Or have I had the wrong impression of it all of these years?

That's the wrong impression the outlying areas are usually pretty bad like nothern ontario or western New York state.

Just now, Violator said:

Northern Ontario gets pretty redneck.

And I was trying to be funny cause your a buffalo fan

I actually didn't know that about Northern Ontario.  I guess that's what I get for having rarely gone past Toronto when I visit Ontario.

I'm not just a fan, I live in Western New York. ::D

5 minutes ago, JoesRooster said:

Dude, this is the 2nd time you've shown your ignorance of anything related to Canada. 

Dude, I'm actually repeating what Canadians on this board have said on more than one occasion.  Are you that 16 year old child @Hsh on an alt account by any chance?

19 minutes ago, JoesRooster said:

Dude, this is the 2nd time you've shown your ignorance of anything related to Canada. 

To be fair I've got family in BC, Ontario and Alberta and they all say Calgary is a bit redneck, so I can see where he's coming from with that stereotype even if it might not necessarily be true.

Archived